Red start as opposed to blue

Hi, All.

Quick question. This will be my 4th London Marathon. On the previous 3 occasions got in via the ballot and started on Blackheath at the Blue start. This year I got in through my running club's ballot. When the mag arrived this week I was surprised to find I'm starting at the Red start (although quite looking forward to it as it will be good to experience the alternative 1st 3 miles for a change). Question is . . . at the Blue start there is always a bit of a bottleneck after the first couple of hundred yards as they seem to place barriers across the road which restrict the course width (very frustrating) . . . is the Red start any clearer? Are there more runners at the Red start (I believe this is where all the charity runners start from?). Just curious. Any info from peeps who have started at both Blue and Red much appreciated.

Cheers, All and good luck.

Comments

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

The red start has a lot more people at it.  When I have marshalled at the blue start we have seen the runners off, cleared up and attended the post briefing before walking across to Mudchute - past the red start where they are still crossing the start line!

Blue start goes through in about 10 min.  Red start takes up to 30 min.

I'm surprised that you have a red number with a club place.  Normally they start at blue.

• It all depends on which pen you end up in.  If it is 1 or 2 you will get a reasonably clear start; anything else, forget it.  You will know once you have registered and got your running number; there will be a small number in one of the corners (1-9).  Having put in an appearance at all 3 starts, i would have to say that the Blue start is the quickest away.  The Green start can be problematic particularly as there is a sharp right-hander after about 300 m of the start.  It used to host the faster good for age runners but after a couple of years of getting held up behind various Masai warriors, Celebrities etc we were switched to the front of the red start.  I would say that the first 3 miles from Red is slightly more undulating than Blue / Green so you could argue that it is a bit harder.  Hope this helps...
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Yes that is a bit odd - I thought all club places were on blue. Oh well...maybe they've changed how they allocate the starts this year? Good luck Hash image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Did you get a fast good for age start over on red if so your treat like a start and your area is fenced off and you are brought out in front of all the other runners and it's a very clean get away. This will be my 3rd year at the fast for age red startimage
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/370100/Gallery/Fast_for_age.jpg

Also if you look in the mag that was sent out it's fast good for ageimage

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    ...but you can get in if you show your tackle to the marshal?
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Only if it is entertaining Mr. P.  Marshalling is quite a boring job so anything that adds a bit of humour is appreciated.
  • Thanks all for your responses. I must admit that I had a feeling the club places were off the blue start, but according to the registration form my number is 54818 which falls within the number range starting from the red start. Don't want to appear to be getting a bit precious about this, but I remember from my last London Marathon in 2010 there were some real issues at the start with people in fancy dress suddenly appearing in some of the forward pens (can't remember, but I think I was in pen 5 or 6), and there were people in front of me stopping to walk (and they were not being blocked) within the first mile. I'm desperate to get a sub 4 hrs this time round, and put an anticipated time of 3:45 on the application form. Do you think this will get me in a reasonably forward pen at the red start? Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait till I get to the Excel.

Thanks again, and good luck to all.

• Hash wrote (see)

I remember from my last London Marathon in 2010 there were some real issues at the start with people in fancy dress suddenly appearing in some of the forward pens (can't remember, but I think I was in pen 5 or 6), and there were people in front of me stopping to walk (and they were not being blocked) within the first mile.

I know this makes me a bad person, but it'll be so crowded at the start they can't police everyone.  If it's full of red blood cells and scooby doos, they won't notice someone moving up a bit.  You'd need to get down to the start early though, as you won't be able to move if you leave it till later.

On on

P.S.  If you feel putting a couple of dots or a space after your name, I'll buy you a beer at Chandos.  Yes I am that much of a saddo image

• *boggles*

Our Hash - It took me a minute to realise this wasn't 'your post. image

• Little Ninja wrote (see)
    *boggles*
    Our Hash - It took me a minute to realise this wasn't 'your post. image
    Me too! I saw it yesterday and had a whole "what are you doing running London, thought you were supporting" spiel on the go, then I twigged... image

And to the OP, Hash isn't a saddo. She's just well known as Hash image
  • Sorry, Hash . . . . didn't mean to nick your name image. Henceforth I will be known as 'Strangely' (surname Brown . . . I really need to get out more).

• *mwah*  Thanksimage

I'm doing support group 4 at mile 17, fancy a down down of jelly babies?  Seriously, pop over here and let me know what you'd like, 'tis the least I can do and it's on me, no need to leave anything at the Expo.

• Et voila . . . Hash the imposter is no more . . . thanks for the offer of jelly babies, Hash. I'll try and remember to look out for you on the day . . . cheers.

• Wootimage  With thanks to Little Ninja for the PM prod, name duly swiped

Seriously, and pathetic though it is, thanks a million and much appreciated.  If you fancy a beer when you get over the finish line, the general forum meet up is here  and I'd really love to buy you a beer. Tons of luck with your marathon

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    KittenKat image
    Took that photo in 2010 as it was my first VLM as a Fast good for age,