Hastings Half-Marathon

Going back a few years this was my pb course

Hoping to repeat that again this year

Second half of the course is lovely  image

Comments

• Am thinking about it..... tis my current pb course, but I'm not sure I can beat it this year.

I did really enjoy the course, especially mile 7 onwards!

• ooo - I'm tempted with this.  Did about 4 years ago and really enjoyed it. Had to walk the hills, but managed a good second half. Thanks for reminding me. image
  • This year will be my first attempt at this one. Was in Hastings yesterday and ran a loop including Harley Shute and Queensway - all doable, but will be looking forward to the second half!
  • I'm interested in running this half as my first HM attempt. Is the hill really bad?!
  • My friend ran this half marathon last year and she convinced me to run it this year too. My first half marathon. I live and do my running in North London which is pretty hilly. Hoping that it will be enough preparation for the first leg of this marathon. Pretty chuffed about RW Pace Team being there in the day. I'm hoping to follow the 9 minute mile pace runner.
  • Hi all.

Sharon - I ran this in 2010 as my first half marathon and am back again this year. I was terrified of the hill in advance but it turned out to be fine. It is almost 2 miles long but it isn't steep so if you get yourself into a comfortable pace you will find you can get up it relatively comfortably. The pay-off at the top is that, barring a couple of short, sharp ones, the second half of the course is easier and faster.
  • What types of drinks are available at the drinks stations?Is it just water or are there energy drinks?This is my 1st half marathon and don't know whether to bring some energy gels with me for the race.
  • If you train with gels then bring them with you and take water from the aid stations

I cant remember if they do energy drink or not but I would never guarantee that there will be some there when I needed them so tend to have an element of self sufficiency  
  • Thanks M...eldy.I haven't be training with the gels but a running friend said they might be helpful.I was going to pick some up tomorrow as planning on a 10 mile run tomorrow night.
  • Its a good idea to try them in training and if you are going to use them then you wont need energy drink as well although you probably still need to take water dependant on type
  • Hi I would be travelling for this one from Central London do you think it is doable to travel there in the morning of the race or am I pushing it? Thank you I really want to do it!
  • All depends what time the trains are I would say  image
  • To add .. not sure what the trains are like on a Sunday but St Leonards Warrior Square will be the wrong end of town, if they stop at West St Leonards then this is a short walk to the start
  • I've now signed up for the Warsaw half marathon as my first which is on the same day! I will add the Hastings one to my diary for next year! Thanks for the info Keefe55. The thought of running up hill for 2 miles at this stage of my running(even if it is a gentle slope)fills me with dread I'm afraid - I'm slow enough running of a flat course. I'm sure I will improve with time xx
  • Thank you for your response M...eldy.  Very helpful!
  • Does anyone wanted entry to Hastings at knock-down price? I have a place but can no longer race due to a family bereavement. The organisers have told me I can't defer to next year, but they'd be happy to transfer my entry to another runner. I'd happily pass it on for £15 (instead of £20 if you're affiliated), and will also cover the £5 administration fee they will charge. Please contact me if interested.
    Good luck to everybody racing on 25th (I've run it 3 times before and loved it every time - you have to be prepared for the long uphill in the first half though).
  • Caf, I'd love the place but you've got the message thingy turned off so can't mail you! If no-one's taken the place already can you mail message me.
    Thanks
  • Holly999 - I think the earliest direct train from Charing Cross or Cannon Street will get you in at 10am at West St Leonards station.  IIts about 1hr 30 ish to get here. Its then a 5 min walk to the start.  Not sure if I would feel that left me enough time but I am an early bird everywhere I go! image
  • I'm in. Looking forward to it. Number (including chip within it!) arrived this week. Will be probably be driving down from South East London but may get the train.
  • I'm already in and got my number a few weeks ago. The main hill is tough but the second half more than makes up for it.
  • This will be my seventh consecutive running of this 'must-do' race, brilliantly organised by Hastings Lions Club.  Water only at the four drinks stations around the course.   You do get  a cup of tea at the end after you pass through the finish funnels and have collected your horse brass memento.  Those of you who have run this race before will have noticed a slight change in the course for this year. 

The Rock-a-Nore Road hairpin turn after 10 miles as you turn left on to the promenade has been taken out, the hairpin now being situated at the top of Winchelsea Road and turning left and uphill into Rye Road (just after 8 miles).  It means less route on the flat, but the promenade is quite a tiring part after having just expended most of your energy among the hills, and means a more direct route to the finish.   Should be good. 

• I've registered for this back in February through runnersworld but have not recieved my race number, I'm hoping that I can bring along my proof of purchase in the morning of the race and collect my race number. Has any body else had this problem?
  • I registered direct last week and my number arrived in the post a few days later. I'd check but I'm sure you'll be able to pick you number on the morning. There is a list of entrants on the sportsystems website http://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/event/HastingsHalfMarathon you can always check there that they have your entry

I'm looking forward to Sunday, I feel the training has come together perfectly so hope to beat my time from last year. image

• Scrap the link to that list...i've just spotted that runners world entries are not included on it....

• Thanks guys, race number arrived in the post yesterday bring on the Queensway image
  • I wasn't going to do it this year, but i live close by and saw them setting up today. Got that old buzzy feeling so I guess i'll see you all in the morning! Not in peak condition at the moment though so might need a helping push up the dreaded first hill.
  • I'll join you Alexandra as I gasp and wheeze up Crowhurst Road / Queensway!!  Lol.  image
  • Great day out. Was over the moon with 1:51:21. First half was really hard work and struggled to stay ahead of the 1:58 pacer but got and stayed ahead from about mile 6 and never looked back. The hill was harder than it looked on paper! I kept cursing when the spectators kept saying the hard bit's over only to see another hill when turned the corner! Let go from mile 8 thank goodness! Hope everyone had a good day. Great weather and nice support.
  • Excellent race as always, although I overheated on the last three miles along the prom -boy was it warm! The only gripe I would have was a some near collisions with people either suddenly deciding to stop in front of me or being totally engrossed in their mp3 players and oblivious to everything else.(got a bit cheesed off with it after the fifth time) But then again with nigh on 5000 runners it is bound to happen. I liked the addition of the new "loop" as opposed to the old one by the fishing huts -somehow I found it a bit easier. Talking of fishing huts "popeye's" face must be aching by now given all that gurning he had to do!