Sunday 25 March 2012

But in a way I know

Come on you lazy dtters, get out of bed and out on the road.

4 or 5 easy later with a dip in the pool too.

Stick - relieved to read that. I thought it was for medicinal purposes.

Talk later

Comments

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Quiet in here today

Yesterdays lyrics were Needle in a Haystack life by Switchfoot

Well great family day of racing today at the B&Q Eastleigh 10K, Jnr pipped me at 8.5k and got a new PB of 40:49, I got 41:18 and Mrs RFJ got 52:XX, so all happy. Esp as I have yet to do any speedwork as still in base....

my splits were good too, you can see the hill up and down at 4k and 5k the rest were all close to eachother,

4:06, 4:07, 4:08, 4:18, 3:53, 4:01, 4:05, 4:09, 4:08, 4:09, very happy indeed.

Take care

• Looks as though we started threads at exactly the same time Paddy!

Good racing RFJ and family.

20 mile LSR done and dusted. Hard work after last week. Lovely bright, warm and sunny though.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Stickless - not on hols unfortunately! We have a caravan down the Gower in West Wales so are down here most weekends! Glorious weather this weekend! image Hope your Madopar experiments are successful!

LMH - Weighday is tomorrow...always first thing on a Monday when I get up. I do this because it's when I'm likely to be at my weeklyworst after the weekend's excesses!! image Was 14st 9 last week, but had been around 14st 7 for about a month previous, so I think last Monday was a bit of a fat day!!!Good effort on the LSR!

Paddy - enjoy your taper!

RFJ - Looks like a good family effort!

I didn't get out yesterday but did today instead! A good run today, far quicker than I have been running though, which was unintentional but I am just running on feel at the moment (although I do take the trusty Garmin with me). Hopefully I won't pay for the extra pace tomorrow!!

What: a lovely 3.5 miles along a lonely coast road with only Marsh Ponies and 5 cars for company.
    Why: Because I'm lucky
    Lyrics: not for this thread but yes for LMH's one!!

Good running all! image

• A nice easy 5 miles d&d, followed by 1.2k in the pool, followed by a feed of bacon sambos. Nice.

Now its "hump" week top come and then slide down the taper!

LMH - i noticed that earlier but thought i'd just see whose "floated"

LMH - nice long run. How are you set for four weeks today??

Weather good for next week or so.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

stickless:  nice long running yesterday. That madopar seems a bit of a miracle. Fantastic to see how much it helps you. I guess you are on to something with your theory about us normal runners using up our dopamine stock which then leads to us crashing and burning. B

RFJ: nice family outing and GREAT race times. I admire anyone working in healthcare. So much responsibility and hard work (mentally and physically) on the one hand but rubbish pay on the other.

Paddy: which marathon are you doing? 26 miles as training run image??? But if it works for you then fine I’d say image

LMH: well done getting those 20 in

what: 15 miles
    why: my March challenge
    last hard: the final 3 miles – very windy here again
    last rest: yesterday
    lyrics: no
  • MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,

Great racing today, RFJ and family!

LMH - green start for me too, so if you happen to spot a small woman with butterfly tattoos all the way up her arm, come and say hi image Sounds like a good plan for the coming year, and yes it's good to shift focus once in a while. Well done on today's 20 too.

Paddy, that's a monster of a training run!

Stickless - great to hear you're enjoying those runs again. Interesting theory re hitting the wall and dopamine... I'm thinking it can't hurt to enjoy some broad beans in the run up to VLM!

Well done on persevering through those tough last miles, Chicka.

What: 22 miles slow
    Why: LSR
    Last hard: Bits of that
    Last rest: Wednesday
    Lyrics: No, but another one here who got LMH's!

55 mile week completed, despite a bit of an accident during Friday night's 7 miler- managed to trip and fall, and hit my right knee hard on the concrete. It hurt so much I could only sit and do nothing for about two minutes... got up and plodded the last mile home very slowly, and by the time I got back it was purple and swollen, and painful to touch or bend. No problems with it during today's run though (or yesterday's easy 5) so obviously no real damage... it's amazing how much a bruise can hurt though!

Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday in the sunshine. Nap time for me...

• Paddy - I'm hoping that the taper will work its magic, that my niggles and fatigue will disappear, that the crowds won't stress me too much, that I'll get a clear run, enjoy the day and raise a little bit of money for the charities which helped my friend - oh, and a good time would be nice too! A visit to the smt on Wednesday will hopefully help me round the last long one next weekend.

That's a good base chickadeee.

MadameO - I'm running in a Macmillan vest which probably means you'll be the more noticeable of the two of us! I shall keep my eyes peeled. Glad the knee isn't interfering with your running. Sounds painful.

Sounds idyllic Alex.

• A few comments on my 26 miler yesterday. The Long Training Run for a marathon is a huge question - how far should you go.

There are various theories of this, and I've read most of them, (from Cool running suggesting 30 milers to others that say don't go above 20) juggled them and come up with i believe what suits me to where i am. So, whats he on about. I'm no coach but i believe that the longest run you can do that doesn't over-strain you is best for that particular runner. I've been building up and getting in 20 milers consistently since Christmas, building from there adding a mile or two every other week since the start of February. Also in the last few weeks I've been adding in marathon effort in the latter miles of the long runs. I've been managing also to get in the quality during the week so i think that i can sustain these runs. I've not felt too tired considering the length of the runs and have been recovering well.

On the other hand if i didn't feel that my base work and early schedule work was according to plan i wouldn't push the long run to the length that i have.

I have a big target for this Marathon and i feel that this is going to give me the best shot. I might make a mess of it and if i do, i do!!!.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Wall to wall sunshine! Summer will probably be over by next weekend as the cricket season starts.

What: 4k walk, and slower than usual
    Why: being careful, plus ever since LMH mentioned my breathing I have not felt great...peak flow is way down again so off to the docs tomorrow.

Well done the RFJ team.

Paddy, most of the better marathoners from the 70s in particular all went over distance: for example, whilst Ron Hill might do a hilly 28 on the roads, Jeff Norman would do 30 on the fells. These are not isolated examples and it didn't seem to do them much harm. 

Nice long run MadameO and  good to see Chick posting something significant.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Sorry Alehouse image Could it be hay fever related or do you think you still have the chest infection?

Paddy - I'm almost doing the opposite this time round. I was a firm believer in getting in at least 5 x 20 milers in a marathon build up whereas my coach doesn't think that you should really run for over two and a half hours at a time, building the volume with consistent shorter runs in the week. In the end I negotiated the four longer runs before the taper. As I did so well (by my standards) in Nevada which was 18.6 miles off nothing longer in training than two and a half hours and mostly two hour runs I'm hoping that the biking endurance contributes and that I have enough impact miles to see me round.

• Chick - London

MadameO - Nice mileage. I've had a fall or two in my time - that first looka round to see if anyone saw you - I know the feeling - looks as though your'e ok though Thank God!

Ale/ LMH - Regarding the long run - no one knows for sure!!