Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Happy tapering everyone.
  • Options
    Just found info on use of MP3 s being 'not advocated' .....is that the same as not allowed? I am a very well behaved competitorimage and always stick to the rules, especially winter road races as they are not closed roads...but really,  no headphones?image
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    It says no MP3 plays or mobile phone music.
  • Options
    Can see their point, H&S etc. Might have to run it 'cold turkey' .  Wearing them last year did stop me appreciating the London crowds, as an after thought.
  • Options
    Hi Guys - having slight panic - race pack arrived today - can anyone confirm if the race chip is built into the race number? Whenever this has happened before there is a definite bulge where the chip is or should there be a chip to tie into shoelace???! There is a small bulge at top of number but it doesnt look like chip

Thanks
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I wore my at FLM in 2009 and unplugged them as didn't need them. What time are you aiming for?

Last year I got everyone to sing happy birthday to another runner as he had it on his back. Just asked him his name and stated singing to him. You may even meet someone running at your pace and have a little chat and keep each other going image
  • Options

Lottie, the chip in the the top of the number. See the the bit that's folded out? it's under there. Hold it up to the light & you'll see it across there. I wouldn't suggest you bend it too much or fold the number in half.

Have we worked out how many colour bands there are this year? white, red, blue pink, green are the colours I've heard of. Any others?

• Options
    I'm green 12647 - got the Brighton organisers to email me my corral! Apparently I put a time of 4.30 down. They did say I can change at the expo though but as we have chips it will have no bearing on finish time - this person has obviously never tried running around lots of people when all you want to do it plod on at a steady pace image

Sue, I've been an avid mp3 player user/runner until a few weeks ago. Thought I'd have a go without and another race had the same rules. I have to say it's quite boring when running a long way on your own but I find in a race with other people it's quite nice without. Plus there is then no panic when the battery dies/you accidentally drop it etc etc!

Anyone else in green? And what time are you aiming for?

I'm wondering what they will do if you get the corral/finish time changed at the expo. Maybe stick a colour over current number?! They won't want to be changing any chips!
  • Options

I'm green and I think I started at 5:30 to 6, but brought it forward to 5:00 to 5:30.

• Options
    Helen Liz

Thanks - having a bit of a blonde moment!! Can relax now into the taper.

• Options
    LindsayYLindsayY ✭✭✭

Evening everyone!

What a busy day on the thread today - easy seeing it's taper time and the excitement of the day is kicking in!!

I cannot wait for the 15th.  no run for me today or tomorrow - rest days!  got a 9 mile at MP and an interval session on thursday, 4 mile easy on friday then a 15 miler on saturday.  strange to think of 15 miles being pretty short and comfortable!

Still don't know what coral i'm in - won't know til expo day, as i have to pick my race number etc up.

re the use of MP3's - i've been using mine all throughout my training, but elected not to for my last LSR last weekend - trying to recreate my marathon day as much as possible by wearing my kit etc.  Got to say, i rather enjoyed not having the music on, and just taking in the sights and sounds.  Defo don't want to miss the atmosphere on the day by having music playing.

been reading RW this month - some good mind tricks and stuff to help prevent hitting the wall and ensure you can maintain your pace when you think you're knackered!  i think i'll be calling on a few of those.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Zoe - I'm green an put 5hrs down as last year I did 5:17.
  • Options

Hi all!  Yes just a few days now!!!

But all is not well in Green Fairylandimage.  Advice, encouragement and general TLC needed.  3 weeks ago on my longest run (14 miles) I used Lite drinks instead of normal and got pretty damn near to hitting the pavement!  When I realised my mistake and saw that I had increased my long run time by an hour in just 2 weeks I got more confident.

Last week (LSR is on a monday) all ok and as I hit the 3 hour mark was satisfied, though pooped.

Today fuel etc went fine but managed only 12.6 miles in 2:54:31.  Not even half way!  Did stop to stretch to try and ease the pain in my quads, pit stop etc and although not totally kn*ck*r*d really really didn't fancy the idea of another 13 miles on race day.

So, I'm lacking confidence in my physical ability to complete the distance.  I am demotivated by the lack of support I have received at work (and work in general!) and asking myself do I really need to put myself through such intense pain.  I was also told by my doc last week that I have arthritis in both hips and a lump in a lung.  It's a wonder I can move and breathe!image

Taper time is here so it won't be as bad as today again until the raceimage.  Do my fellow forumite MARATHONERS have any words of advice, points of view?  I am training with a 12 week schedule as I had bronchitis twice at the end of the year.  (I'm beginning to depress myself now!image) It has been a stiff increase in the long run in a relatively short time and I do feel better now than 2 weeks ago.  Will tapering and rest set me up for the big day?  I suppose there will be only one way to find out and that will be to start.  That was my minimum objective for this year so maybe I should already be thinking about 2013 and aim to finish! Has cost me a fortune so far in lost entry fees!image

So, who is going to try and spread a bit of fairydust on  my dilema?image

• Options

958 Blue 

Did my last 20 mile run yesterday at GVH which are a great way to train and will do whole series next year.  Run felt really good with 10 at MP even though I stuggled on the 10 miler on saturday.

Officially on taper now and starting to worry about race pace already.  Long run reminded me of a few "to do's" for the big day as I now need new socks and need to get some body glide or plasters to prevent chafing.  Not had it on any other runs but a timely reminder for big day.

I always train with MP3 but altough i take them i rarely race with music.  I might listen to one if I find myself on my own.   I prefer to have a chat or take in the sights.  

Happy Taper.....cue the madness!!

• Options

And yet again the thread’s gone manic!

Overall, it looks like some great mileage has been put in over the weekend, far too many to list individually! Hopefully the weather helped get you out and run, rather than hinder the performance.

I did Hastings HM yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it; the sun was out but luckily it wasn’t too hot. I was worried I may have ruined my chances at getting a sub 1:30 after having done a 19 miler on Thursday night but it was one of the best halves I’ve run in terms of how I felt throughout so a real confidence boost. I managed a 1:28:45 in the end so surprised myself. MarkG – well done on your Hastings time.

I’m now envious of all those who have started their taper; I still have a 20-22 miler planned for Wednesday evening.

WilyCoyote – Nice effort getting out for a run after a few drinks. I remember running a half marathon after 6 pints and a curry the night before. Now I stick to having the drinks and curry after the run!

On the alcohol and treats front, I’ve got a lads weekend in Cornwall this weekend so will no doubt be sinking a few beers. After that, I’ll definitely be off the booze until the 15th (pm!).

I generally run to music all the time and can only assume that banning (well "not advocating") MP3s for H&S reasons must only be because the odd person has worn one at full blast and not been able to hear their surroundings. Generally I set mine so I can hear the music but still have a conversation with someone next to me. In Brighton you’re not going to hear music over the crowds, but music would definitely be handy during the quieter areas around 20-22 miles. I’m pretty sure one of the females runners on the front of the marathon pack has headphones in!

For those tapering, enjoy! For those not quite there yet, good luck with the remaining long runs.

• Options
    If I get a green number it may well swing the balance.  Like to be colour co-ordinatedimage
  • Options

Hi Green Fairy. three words "You will start", three more words "you will finish" image fully understand the disappointment you're feeling, but it sounds like you are in a position to complete this thing (unless the doc said definitely otherwise, I wouldn't want to contradict medical advice) In terms of running advice / suggestions,why not go for a 50/50 run / walk strategy, say 5 min run / 5 min walk. that way, you end up running about 70-75% of the distance overall, and walking the other 25%. It may increase the finish time, but will allow you to fully enjoy the atmosphere, protect the joints much more than running 90% of the race, and if you take on the refuelling regularly, leave you in a decent state at the finish. Last year, I really appreciated your support, so it would be great to hear that you completed safely this year. The pain in the quads, is probably a result of building up the time on feet over a relatively short time, and a few minutes each day rolling on a foam roller (or empty 2 litre coke bottle -this thread's "informally approved" substitute) should loosen them up pretty well. Also, tapering and rest, with some good mid-distance runs over the next couple of weeks and then a very light final week, should leave you in good shape at the start.

Waves to all imageimageimage

p.s. Lombster, very good run Sunday. well done!

• Options

The Green Fairy - I'm pretty sure we can all sympathise with you here. It sounds like you've had some tough training recently, and tough training does make it hard to motivate yourself to get out and do more, which is when it helps to have some backing of others around you (which from your post seems like you're not getting). If you're sure you can get round the course then you should go for it, just expect to be slow and don't put any undue pressue on yourself by setting a target time as with a longest run of only 14 miles it is sure to make the second half a push.

Based purely on your post above, if I were in any way qualified to give an expert opinion, I would surely be recommending you set your sights on a later marathon.

Personally though, I'd still do it because I like a challenge!

• Options
    The Green Fairy - Another good piece of advice: ignore my advice as Juggler234 makes some far more valid points!
  • Options

Thanks for the input guys.

I am running 5 mins and walking 1 so far.  My longest run was last week at 15.18 miles.  But I do have a cunning plan.  Get past the crowds at half-way by run/walking (yes maybe more walking Juggler234) then as soon as I turn off the seafront walk until a cosy first aid station at 19 miles which I know about thanks to TraceyB.  Sit in the shade and recuperate then walk around the docks and then jog as much as I can along the 3 miles along the seafront to the finish.  Adrenaline and embarassment should get me home!  Mind you Baldrick never had much luck with his plans.....................image

ps I've done LM 4 times but last one was 11 years ago.

• Options

Tracey G  I am green 6436 I think I put down 4:30- 5:00 . 

Re: MP 3's  I remember saying to my family after London' that I don't think I was actually listening to my music after a while....more concentrating on encouraging my feet to move...in a forward direction...

Stupid question coming up but how do the Pacers ....pace? Do they constantly check their garmins? Have an inbuilt Garmin? Who are they? Answers on a post card...........image

• Options

Morning all

it was another lovely hot day here yesterday 8 miles done the whole run took 1:16:12 Avg pace 9:22mm was looking back at the same distance over the past weeks and at week 4 of training i was about 5.5 minutes slower than i am now so the training is paying off there were some weeks i was beginning to wonder

i had a quick look back at some of last year’s  8 miles runs and i was averaging any were from 10:15mm to 11:37mm compared to this year’s  9:22mm to 10:13mm

trying out some new gels at the moment the advice of a good friend there ZV7 made by Zipvit there a little thick but with water are ok i must say they do seem to be rather good on the 16 mile run Friday i took one at mile 4 and never felt i need another one till about mile 12

Green Fairy sorry to hear all is not well in fairy land but juggler sends some good  advice i hope you do run as you been a real star over the last 2 years especially the first year when you help Tracy B get round

• Options
    Green fairy please refer to juggler for wise words on your predicament.
    I don't know what to say. Dig deep, go for it and give some fairy-welly.
  • Options
    Green Fairy- You are a marathoner. Take it easy,keep rolling away those aches, use your walk run strategy, keep fuelled, keep hydrated.. and kiss the finish line for me.
    Well done to everyone, what a journey..not long now. I keep looking in to see how you are all getting on, fantastic to see the PB's and the mile splits improving. I agree with Toby, the training is clearly paying off. Looking forward to seeing all the taper madness!!
  • Options

Green Fairy believe in your self and your abilities ...you we and i are in the 1 % of the population who have the bollocks and drive and self belief that gets us to sign up and train and turn up and do....we are not maybe people we are doing people strong,tough and able to face anything....yea ok we all do at a different speed but we all do....image will also send some fairy dust vibes your way...

Re music i train with music but after my battery died on me saturday i was listening to the birds and my breathing and i found myself looking around and even though ive run the same area for 3 years now i discovered things id not seen before....saying that i did put one headphone in last year and year before(on low volume) and i can tune in when the going gets quieter...but still chat, laugh,enjoy and soak up the atmosphere ....

Toby re the gels they give lots of enegy cos i looked on the pack and they contain 204 calories image i did go with the high 5 one and zvit and found the zvit did give me a longer energy burst and needed another gel after taking the high 5 after 3 miles....saying that it does take me half a mile to finish one...but they taste good...and dont sit heavy in my tummy...

An hours run for me today with the last 15 mins at MP.

• Options
    Green fairy I do hope it all works out for you whatever strategy you decide on. You are one of the originals and have been a great inspiration to many of the runners on this forum.
    Just read an excellent article in runners world about avoiding the wall, fuelling etc. definitely worth a read during taper time. Good info on carb loading for all those wondering what's best.
    This midweek mileage reduction is already doing my nut in!!!!!
    Still no number!!!!!!!! Website says could be 10 working days from 26 th. with bank hols etc that takes us to the 12 th. a bit too close to race weekend for my liking!!!!!

Enjoy the sun people it's taking a nosedive at the weekend then steadily increasing to the 15 th image
  • Options
    Someone told me this morning that it is customary after the Brighton Marathon to run into the sea for an ice bath????!?!!?
  • Options

Received my race pack (Purple 1944) yesterday which was unexpected as I was a ballot entry and was told I had to collect it from the Expo.

Unfortunately the postage label was stuck on top of someone else's now I'm thinking i've got someone else's number and I still need to collect mine. When I login in to the website i'm definately listed as a ballot entry but I have also received an email saying for guaranteed entrants "that means you" 

More than happy to not have to pick up my race pack as it saves me a half day holiday and about £40 in fuel....but a nagging doubt this is not mine. Does anyone know the colour codes for the Corral's, I entered with a 4hr to 4.15 time.

Race day brain and paranoia kicking in imageimage

• Options

Hello All,

I actually contacted the organisers regarding music and MP3 players. As stated on the website whilst they don't advocate the use of headphones they aren't outright banned, i.e. you shouldn't get disqualified for using them. 

Having watched the marathon last year there did still seem to be a large proportion of runners using headphones. Personally I intend to run with mine on me but round my neck for the first bit and then see how it pans out later on if I need them or not.

Not long to go! Best of luck with the remainder of your training. How many miles are people doing during the week during this taper time?

• Options
    I'm in Green, number 3000 and something.  I did 5:38 in my last marathon a week ago.