London Marathon 2012: Runners and Supporters

Comments

• Hi, sorry, not been following this thread!  I can bring down additional Jelly babies and small plastic bags if that will help.  I'm expecting to be at the Expo quite late on Saturday, probably after 3.

• Hi - I've not looked at this thread for a while either!

I'm planning on going to Expo on Thursday so will leave some money for food, if that will be easiest to save carrying things about?

Thanks for all the effort going into the support - much appreciated!

• Thanks Sloth, that'll be grand image

• STUFF WE NEED

If anyone is able to help out with some of the things we need please cut and paste the following list and add your name and relevant details. Items can be brought straight to mudchute (if youre a supporter) or dropped at the Runners World stand at the VLM Expo.

Jelly Babies, Banana's, Oranges, Jaffa Cakes etc we give out an enormous amount of these to all runners (can be left at RW Expo stand for collection by supporters) - we need lots and lots of these or if you want then leave a small donation of MONEY at the RW stand and we will buy supplies on the day.

Jelly Babies and Jaffa Cakes etc (everyone, to be dropped off at RW expo stand or brought along to the support point)

Balloons
    (100 dark blue, 100 light blue, 100 yellow) - SuperCaz

RW Banners - Becks

Helium - and any clues as to how we get this? - SuperCaz - you can order it online, but I'm scared of pressurised canisters so someone else will have to do the inflating for me.

Leave this with TP for the moment as I know where it came from in previous years so will get in touch with them and see if we can do the same again

100's small plastic bags
    Snails Pace
    Iron Pingu

Support team signs (to be designed and made by each support team)

Someone assertive x 2 to reserve support position from 8.00am
    TP & Snails Pace (who has no idea she's getting up this early)

First aid kit - Foxy

Large Balls of String x 2 - Becks
    NEW ITEM - Cable ties as much easier to attach banners with

Scissors x 2

Sharp knife x 2 (for cutting up froot for the runners)

Swiss Army Knife - SuperCaz, although more than one would be useful.

Paper plates

Camera/camera person, losts of space on card
    SBH with her baby SLR

Binliners
    TP

2 large rolls gaffer tape
    TP

12 x 6ft long bamboo poles (for signs) -

Supporter to visit expo to collect items (inc banners) and bring to Mudchute (there was loads of stuff left for collection last year so the more people that can collect things the better)

Thursday collection - Running Rodent, SBH
    Friday collection - Running Rodent, TP & Snails Pace, Soup Dragon
    Saturday am collection - possibly MikeFrog
    Saturday pm collection -
    Saturday closing collection - SuperCaz, possibly with Bear

More than one person per collection is most welcome - you won't be short of stuff to collect.

THIS IS A COMBINED EFFORT - WE NEED PEOPLE FROM ALL SUPPORT GROUPS TO PICK UP STUFF, ESPECIALLY FROM THEIR OWN RUNNERS.
  • I can bring 2 pairs scissors and do the Saturday PM collection from the expo image

Sorry if this has been covered before, but what time do you need us down there? image 

Edit - what time do you need me to get to the Expo, and what time should I get to Mudchute?

• If SC and Bear are doing the late Expo collection on Saturday then if you were there lunchtimeish that would probably work as there should be somebody there mid morning.

On the day I guess it's as early as possible as we need to hold our spot and get set up.  I am hoping to be there for about 8 so soon after that would be great.  I know a lot of people can't get there until about 10 due to trains on a Sunday.

• STUFF WE NEED

If anyone is able to help out with some of the things we need please cut and paste the following list and add your name and relevant details. Items can be brought straight to mudchute (if youre a supporter) or dropped at the Runners World stand at the VLM Expo.

Jelly Babies, Banana's, Oranges, Jaffa Cakes etc we give out an enormous amount of these to all runners (can be left at RW Expo stand for collection by supporters) - we need lots and lots of these or if you want then leave a small donation of MONEY at the RW stand and we will buy supplies on the day.

Jelly Babies and Jaffa Cakes etc (everyone, to be dropped off at RW expo stand or brought along to the support point)

Balloons
    (100 dark blue, 100 light blue, 100 yellow) - SuperCaz

RW Banners - Becks

Helium - and any clues as to how we get this? - SuperCaz - you can order it online, but I'm scared of pressurised canisters so someone else will have to do the inflating for me.

Leave this with TP for the moment as I know where it came from in previous years so will get in touch with them and see if we can do the same again

100's small plastic bags
    Snails Pace
    Iron Pingu

Support team signs (to be designed and made by each support team)

Someone assertive x 2 to reserve support position from 8.00am
    TP & Snails Pace (who has no idea she's getting up this early)

First aid kit - Foxy

Large Balls of String x 2 - Becks
    NEW ITEM - Cable ties as much easier to attach banners with

Scissors x 2
    Xine267

Sharp knife x 2 (for cutting up froot for the runners)

Swiss Army Knife - SuperCaz, although more than one would be useful.

Paper plates

Camera/camera person, losts of space on card
    SBH with her baby SLR

Binliners
    TP

2 large rolls gaffer tape
    TP

12 x 6ft long bamboo poles (for signs) -

Supporter to visit expo to collect items (inc banners) and bring to Mudchute (there was loads of stuff left for collection last year so the more people that can collect things the better)

Thursday collection - Running Rodent, SBH
    Friday collection - Running Rodent, TP & Snails Pace, Soup Dragon
    Saturday am collection - possibly MikeFrog
    Saturday pm collection -
    Saturday closing collection - SuperCaz, possibly with Bear

More than one person per collection is most welcome - you won't be short of stuff to collect.

THIS IS A COMBINED EFFORT - WE NEED PEOPLE FROM ALL SUPPORT GROUPS TO PICK UP STUFF, ESPECIALLY FROM THEIR OWN RUNNERS.
  • Another image to trains on VLM day, we've had engineering works and replacement bus services for the last three years running.

I'll get the first train down, but that's not saying much!
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    I should be able to get their early, but I will need to consult with Bear as he is letting me sleep on his floor for the weekend.  I'm a morning person, but not everyone is happy when I get up at 5am and he could be a night owl for all I know.
  • Thanks TP, I'll aim to get to the Expo between 1 and 2pm then (give the stuff a bit of a chance to pile up again after the morning collection) image

Can non-VLMers just wander in to the Expo or will I need to buy a ticket/ tell people that I'm with Runners World?

I will try to get to Mudchute for 8.30, I'm not much of a morning person so I'll be the one hiding tired eyes behind sunglasses and clutching a flask of coffee image

I'd better check out my route to Mudchute too, in theory it should only take 90 mins from where I live but I know that the Jubilee and DLR often play up on Sundays so I'll plan a couple of alternative routes just in case.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Anyone can wander in xine.
  • hey guys

sorry for late arrival on this thread only just managed to get the Saturday off work and didn't want to commit to anything if I was a late shift.....

I can do an expo run Saturday afternoon if needed?

what time do we need to be at mudchute for on the Sunday? sorry if already been said I can't wade through all the posts on my phone!
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    The first ones are arriving at 8am Vik, but others aren't able to get there until 10, so come on down whenever you can.
  • Hi VikW - will be good to meet you at last. image
  • Soupy, don't you be forgetting that tapir image

I suspect the more the merrier when picking up from the Expo.  Ten people with one bag of stuff each is a lot easier than 3 people with 10 bags between them!

• I wont' forget TP.  I'm thinking of introducing our fluffy mascot to Len2 for her tapir period. Might have to rename her fluffy Bridget. image
  • i dont wanna taperrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • streuth first run of taper done in hot weather!

5 miles - faster than marathon pace - 9.07,9.13,9.12,912,and 08:41 . Loved it but no way could I do that for 26/27 miles!! I chuffin wish!!

• oh dear, i was on the list a while ago. any chance for someone who has fallen off the list and struggled badly with their trainiing to get a bit of support from one of the support groups?

i will bring supplies!
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    You are welcome to join Group 3 IP.  Pop on over and say Hello
  • Hi Guys,
    I went out for a 17 mile run at the weekend and so I can definitely say I'll be at the mudchute around 3 hours (not 2:45 as previously stated). My injury is giving me trouble!

Hope everyone is doing well. Less than 3 weeks - Eeek!

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Probably a good idea to post that on your group thread PR, as it might be missed on here image
  • Ooops thought I was, must be half asleep! Thanks.
  • Sorry peeps but bumpy bumpy. With only 2 weeks to go I won;t tolerate this being on the second page image

I should be at Mudchute by around 8-9 am depending on connections from the trains on the way in and am pretty efficient at keeping the area reserved - I kicked about 5 sets of people out last year even tho we actually have no legal 'right' over that bit of the course image

Will prob be on my own as the Brother Bad Habit is now the ex-BBH but that will only aid my bolshiness image lol.

And if anyone - runner or supporter - fancies dinner on the Friday night in London maybe then let me know? I shall probably pop along to the Expo in case extra hands are needed with collections and then I won't be in a rush to get home so pasta sounds good to me image

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    I'm in London on Friday night SBH, but I need to check with others that we haven't already got anything planned.  I can also be at Mudchute nice and early to help reserve the place, but again need to check with others as to how long it will take to get there.
  • hey guys

just realised I'm up in town on Thursday for my Olympic training so can do a run for stuff from the expo then as well!

soupdragon- will be good to meet you too!

suffering from taper madness here roll on next Sunday 9.15 ..........

• Taper madness, bad back, sore toe.... the list goes on...... image
  • I am sorry to inform my adoring public that Schmunkee will not be running VLM this year as I have sustained a running injury.  Sounds impressive, huh?  Until I tell you I was running for the train image and have now got a Grade 2 calf tear so 8 weeks on the injury bench for me.image

On the upside I wll be able to make it to Mudchute at some point in the late morning and hope to stay for a couple of hours.  I do however have to warn you that I may have the infamous Barley with me

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    What Schmunks said (without the calf tear and thankfully Barley).

As long as the chest thing is not prohibiting cycling by then I'll aim to come up and throw Jelly Babies at runners.
  • Oh Schmunks, that's crap that you can't run image but we'll love to see you on 'our' side of the fence! I suppose we could even put up with Barley for that lol image

The more the merrier for cherring and hurling of jelly babies!!!!!! xx