Dioralyte for electrolyte replacement

Hi All,

Has anyone used Dioralyte as electrolyte replacement drink during races rather than a sports drink? I have tried and tried with different brands of sports drinks but they all make me feel sick (too sweet, too sticky etc), I'm wondering if Dioralyte sachets might be the answer because it dilutes to be bland and watery. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this during races, good and bad feedback welcome!

Thanks! image

Comments

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I have uses it during ultras. I hate the taste but its really good stuff. I tend to use it pre made up in a small disposable kids drink bottle left at a checkpoint mud way through the race, especially in the heat.
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Diarolyte will work for rehydration, but obviously doesn't give you any carbs.  

Personally, I'd use something like Nuun. It's cheaper (works out as 50p for 500ml compared to ~ 67p for 200ml for Diarolyte) and comes in various flavours.

• The new high 5 zero tablets (which are exactly like Nuun) are also paletable.
  • I have used it in a half marathon, really good, but i did have dried fruit for carbs too.Havent gone further than that tho

We always using when hiking - i find it much better than water or sports drinks

• Nuun or Hi5 Zero is defintely the way to go based on price alone and they have also been formulated for electrolyte loss during exercise
  • Thanks for the replies everyone, especially the advice about Nuun or Hi5 Zero. I didn't know about these products before posting (the dioralyte idea was something of a lightbulb moment yesterday when I was having a moan about how much I dislike sport drinks). I will get hold of either Nuun or Hi5 before my long run on Sunday and try them out!

A few technical questions - Do you carry the tabs hoping to put them in a bottle of water on course, or carry a pre-mixed bottle? I was thinking of running with my Camelbak so that I am not reliant on the water stations and can sip water whenever I need it, would it be a good idea to put the electrolyte tabs in there or should I keep it seperate?

I got dehydrated during my long run last week and I am really keen not to repeat that experience!

• I've just started running with the Hi5 tablets and I mix it with the water before I set out.

On a 20 mile event I did last week I mixed one before I started and also carried another tablet wrapped in some clingfilm in my waist pack so when I refilled my water bottle at one of the check points I could drop the tablet in and have another half litre for the second half of the race.

I've never been able to stomach sports drinks or gels of any description and find the Hi5 really nice so they're probably worth trying.

• Does anyone know of any of these nuun/Hi5 electrolyte-type things that don't have artificial sweeteners in them? They all seem to have aspartame, which I try to avoid. Even Dioralyte, I think, has something of the sort in it.
  • Thanks J Law! I've got a couple of cheapo running water bottles that came in the goodie bags at various events so I can distribute those to my support crew on Marathon Day and pick them up at crucial points, but will put the tablets in my running belt in case I can't meet up with anyone.  

The only energy thing I can really get on with are the Clif Shot Bloks, I've tried so many gels and energy drinks and have a bad reaction to all of them, so fingers crossed that the Hi5/Nuun tablets are the answer!

• Sorry Running Rodent, I have no idea ... but perhaps your local chemist could suggest a sweetner free version of Dioralyte?
  • dioralyte has saccharin in it not aspartame

Each sachet contains: sodium chloride 0.47g, potassium chloride 0.30g, glucose 3.56g, disodium hydrogen citrate 0.53g.

Also contains: silicon dioxide, saccharin sodium, blackcurrant flavour.

• also looks like Hi5 Zero does not have aspartame either - at least I cant see it in this lot.

Nutritional Information:
    ZERO BERRY: BERRY FLAVOUR ELECTROLYTE DRINK TABLET. Ingredients: Citric Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sweeteners (Sorbitol, Sucralose), Malic Acid, Tri Sodium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Carbonate, Natural Flavouring, Natural Colour (Beetroot, Carrot, Curcumin), Maltodextrin, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin C, Green Tea Extract. Nutritional Info Typical Values Per 100g / [Per 4g Tablet]: Energy 175kJ, 42kcal / [7kJ, 1.7 kcal], Protein 0g [0g], Carbohydrate 2g [0g] of which sugars 0g [0g], Fat 0g [0g], Fiber 0g [0g], Sodium 6.5g [0.26g], Magnesium 800mg [32mg].

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I give Hi5 Zero a big thumbs up as an electrolyte replacement drink. At the beginning of the year I was walking at high altitude and went through buckets of Dioralyte. I thoroughly hated the taste and it still makes me shudder today!  I wish I had known about some of the alterntives at that time - I only came across Hi5 when I started running. I like the berry flavour the most.

• I might give Hi5 a go then - thanks for that.
  • I like the Berry flavour as well!!
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    RR I use High 5 gels and drinks for exactly that reason - aspartame sends me bonkers and they don't contain any at all.
  • Just some feedback from race day.

I bought a few really cheap donut /circle water bottles on ebay and filled each one with a solution that was High 5 Citrus tabs diluted in orange juice mixed with water. I saw my family & friends around 13 miles and 19 miles and took a bottle off their hands at those points and ditched it when I was done. The rest of the time I just took water from the water stations, and had a 500ml bottle of the High 5, OJ, water combination when I finished. Happy to report no feelings of nausea and no dehydration. I think I've found my idea electrolyte replacement strategy.

Thank you everyone for your input on this and I hope the thread has been of use to others.

• Useful content on the hi5 zero things. I too have found tge dioralyte pretty awful to take
  • I have used it inadvertently, when I tried to run a marathon when ill. It did make me feel fantastic. Yes it doesn't give you any carbs, but everything else seems to hit the spot.

• Pointing out the obvious here, but probably best not to attempt what I did during the Preston marathon last year.  20 miles or so in, and between water stations, I remembered that I'd stuffed a Nuun tab in my race belt.  Having no water to hand, I figured I might just nibble on a bit of the tablet to pep myself up.  5 seconds after doing so, I was looking like a rabid dog as the tablet fizzed up in my mouth and I was spewing lightly orange couloured froth!!  That aside, I did manage to swallow some of it, and felt better for it, so +1 for the tabs from me.

• Xine - are you sure you actually need to replace electrolytes?

Just asking cause you mention nausea etc. I used to get sicky feeling on long runs and a couple of times got to the stage I couldn't stomach any fluids. Tried loads of sports drinks, also tried High5 and nuun. Finally realised I only needed water and nothing else in it and have now ditched the electrolyte tabs altogether and am getting on fine without them. Regularly do 20+ mile training runs fueled only by jam sandwich and water.