Round the Island Isle of Wight Ultra

Is anyone on here doing this one, or has done it before? Think it looks interesting and XNRG seem to be pretty well rated for their races, I'm still thinking about it - but reckon I'll go for it.image

Comments

• Yup, if I can get the time off then I'll definitely be signing up for it!
    Likewise have only heard good things about these events and at £126 it's a bargain compared to other similar races out there, especially with 2 nights accommodation and meals thrown in image
  • I'd love too, perhaps not this year, maybe next....
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about booking camping and paying for event seperately, as I'll be taking 2 dogs and family! Oh - why am I getting into ultras? They're so dear! I agree though, if you go for the whole package on this one, it's a good price. Not sure I could handle sleeping in a hall full of strangers, all arriving back to camp at different times..hmm, nightmare! image

Yes, I think take the family and camp seperately will suit me better!

I've never done a coastal ultra though, concerned if my knees will take it. Roger, have you done any other ultras recently?

• Nope, am new to ultras, have a marathon in a few weeks time but after that I'll be concentrating on this race.

Was going to do a more local event in June, but this appealed to me more, the route the set up and the support XNRG are providing. Plus UTMB qualifying points!

Camping with the family sounds nice, I am fairly accustomed to dossing down on the floor so will probably just go with that option.

Never been to the Isle of White before so don't know what the coastal paths are like, however I do find in general that trail runs are kinder on my knees, speaking as a fairly big built 6'2" fella.

• purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

I live in Swanage and can see the IOW across the sea from my house. I love coastal running, but I find the steep decents quite tough on my knees. I really must have a go at JCC next year, as it's on my doorstep, but it was too soon after TP100, which I did a few weeks ago.

Where's your marathon?

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    im new to ultra too purple pig but i love the Isle of Wight  and would love to do this one. ultras are not really expensive PP, this one isnt bad at all...think how much you get charged for some HMs in comparison for 2 hours of tarmac and honking carsimage....i agree with rodger, its  a bargain event!
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    purplepig wrote (see)

I live in Swanage and can see the IOW across the sea from my house. I love coastal running, but I find the steep decents quite tough on my knees. I really must have a go at JCC next year, as it's on my doorstep, but it was too soon after TP100, which I did a few weeks ago.

Where's your marathon?

how did you get on PP at TP100? did you finish before the event got stopped? i live in Oxfordshire  know where the finish was, the snow really came down at one point!
  • The isle of Wight is subject to as much coastal erosion, as any part of the British Isles, along its entire border.  I know the area, from regular fossil hunting trips. 

I would venture a guess, that this event will be fairly punishing on the knees, but fun and picturesque.

• purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Loula - Yes I got caught in the horrendous hail and snow and was frozen to the core, but I was fortunate enough to finish before the plug was pulled. You too eh , Ben!

Hmm - yes as I thought re the knees! image What to do, what to do!

I've just entered the Dorset Doddle, which is a 32 mile coastal event from Weymouth to Swanage and cost an amazing £11 plus an optional £6 to get a coach to take me from Swanage to the start at Weymouth! Unbelievable value!! That's not till August though and i want to do something nearer whilst my fitness is still not bad on the back of TP training!

• Purplepig - Have you ever used knee strapping/ supports, I never have myself but a friend of mine who's a rather good prop forward swears by them when he goes out for longer runs. Oh and it's the Madrid Marathon I'm doing in just over 3 weeks time image

• purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Yes I have and they def help. I might experiment with some Kinesio tape though. It's supposed to be excellent.

Madrid sounds like fun!

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Dorset Doddle-what a lovely name!!imageand bargain price again!!!
  • I am really tempted by this but as i'm only doing my first marathon on 22 apr, i think i might have to aim for next year!......... or will i......image

• Same for me AOI, but sod it! The Round the Island has no time limit anyway and welcomes walkers so if it all gets too tough then just slow to a steady march and finish that way!  image
  • So tempted! I might have to wait until a week or two after the VLM before I sign up though otherwise I think I might struggle convincing my better half it is such a good idea! Might see you there Roger.
  • loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    am really liking the sound of this one-cant fit it in this year but next year is a possible !!...will still keep lurking on here for this year though to ask questions because im sooo nosy and like to hear everyones experiencesimage...ah, roger, thats nice there isnt a time limit-means more time to enjoy the scenery and viewsimage
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    Decision made - I'm in!! Worry about the knees later! image
  • Nice one PP, I'll let you know after VLM but hopefully will be there too!
  • As long as I don't pick up any injuries in Spain then I'll be entering next payday image
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    Good luck both of you guys for your coming maras!! Hopefully, you'll be posting on here after to say you're in too!
  • Just bought myself a second hand OS map if the IoW off amazon..... For research purposes obviously. Nearly talked the OH round too!
  • This is a wonderful event. I did it two years ago and had a brilliant time. The coastal path around the isle of wight is well used and easy to follow. You'll not find a better all round ultra than this one especially if it is sunny.
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    That's great to hear WR. I recognise your pic from the TP100 forum. Can't remember if you did it, or were interested for next year?
  • Sorry to say but it doesn't look like i'm going to make this one. Pulled my right calf on Sunday, just seen physio today and she recons she can get me through the VLM on 22nd but will need a rest and some recoup after that. Not the best prep for my first ultra so I'll give it a miss till next year.

Best of luck to you both though and please let me know how it goes as I am planning next year's training now!

For this year, i'm going to get through the VLM, rest, then target the London to Brighton run in September for my first.
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Oh no, that's a shame. Well london's your prority right now - so all the best with that!

You've got plenty of time to study your OS IOW map now - and to fully convince the OH!! image

Hope you recover soon!

• Hi,

I have done IOW twice,great team XRNG,well organised. First day is long round 40miles if you dont get lost!!! Hilly too,I had never been IOW before race,amazing place and scenery fantastic,takes place when cowes week is on..
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info Iron lady. Is any of it technically challenging, as in descents that are loose underfoot? Or close to cliff edge etc?

No excuses for not practicing though, as I live on the Jurrassic coast! I can see IOW from my landing window. Never been across though either.

• Does anyone know if this is all trail? am tossing between this and "the wall" ultra a couple of weeks earlier, would be my first ultra, just don't fancy road but don't want it too tricky either. I used to love the IOW as a kids on hols so this could be an amazing event. How many people do it roughly?