Brighton marathon...SCARED!!

Is anybody doing a marathon soon and feels slightly undertrained due to illness/injury etc??  I'm back on track but am a bit behind on training...my longest run to date is 11 miles and the marathon is in 4 and a bit weeks time!!  I'm running for Prostate Action, anyone want to join me on the day and crawl along with me??!!  image

Comments

• I'd be scared too ! Run - walk strategy for you I think !
  • I'm sure you will be fine. 11 milesis nearly a half marathon. I'm sure you can do the few extra miles
  • Oh, just noticed it's a FULL Marathon......You're screwed
  • Cheers Sussex Runner....now I really am worried!!!  Ah well, I'll go with cougie's suggestion and run..walk, walk, walk....run...walk, walk, walk!!!  Btw, I'm not a serious competitive athlete or looking to smash any records!!!  I will do this with gritted teeth,,come on, wish me luck!  image
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Sally - message me image
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Sally - I would do a run/walk on you next long run. Don't worry about fitting lots of short runs in as well. Your long runs are what help with marathon distance. If you have a Garmin you could run for 0.75 mile and walk for 0.25 mile. Or do a time run/walk.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Sally - I got your message but my phone it not letting me reply. I will try again later. Enjoy your run image
  • Sussex runner I did actually LOL at that. Bravo !
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    You could try an run-walk approach but you'd need to be very disciplined at start it from the beginning, not end up running the first 11 miles then walking the rest. Also, check the cut-off time. You don't want to get to mile 20 and find the course being dismantled around you or even worse you're not allowed to finish. To be honest, I'd defer - you'd enjoy the experience much more if you're properly trained. If you've been ill or injured there's no shame in that. I know for London if you can't do 15 miles a month before they recommend you don't run.
  • cougie  wrote (see)
    Sussex runner I did actually LOL at that. Bravo !
    +1
  • Sally - are you still aiming on doing Brighton? I am meant to be doing Brighton and London and using Brighton as a slow one, message me - we may be able to go on the go slow together depending on what your plan is!
  • A big fat raspberry to Cougie and Sussex Runner (NLR)...I got my medal at the Brighton Marathon, no thanks to your discouraging comments!!  The marathon is the people's race after all, not just for those who consider themselves "serious" athletes.  Anyone who crosses that finish line in no matter what time deserves that medal. imageimageimage
  • There's no need for that. You may have finished, but that's no call to be rude to people who you asked for help, just because you didn't like the answer.

You asked were you in a position to run a marathon, and were told that, no, you've scrimped on the training - you'lll not be able to run it. And your time tells it all. 6:26 means you can hardly be sitting thinking how well you did. You did half the training any person seriously thinking about running a marathon would do - and it shows.

Get a grip, grow up and stop thinking you've "run" anywhere.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

+1 Helen - I was thinking how to phrase a response - and you've just said everything I wanted to say.

People are here to offer support and help - don't be rude.

• Helen Liz wrote (see)

There's no need for that. You may have finished, but that's no call to be rude to people who you asked for help, just because you didn't like the answer.

You asked were you in a position to run a marathon, and were told that, no, you've scrimped on the training - you'lll not be able to run it. And your time tells it all. 6:26 means you can hardly be sitting thinking how well you did. You did half the training any person seriously thinking about running a marathon would do - and it shows.

Get a grip, grow up and stop thinking you've "run" anywhere.

+1,

You did very little training, and performed as such. Anyone can do that.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't get why you're blowing raspberries at two people who offered you advice - which you seem to have taken, given the time you completed in.

I daresay you feel pleased with yourself (and nothing wrong with that), but there's no need to be rude to people who responded to your request for advice!

• I think the above comments make my point....I am just very proud that I completed this run, and am not sitting around moping about my crap time...I did it and raised money for a good cause.  If you click on the What? below, after 'Think before you slam someone', it says think before you "mock a nervous first timer" which is what I was referring to, I needed encouragement not comments like "you're screwed"!! I get the impression that us amateur joggers are not deemed worthy to enter runs like this, well I disagree.  And for the person who took 9 1/2 hours to complete Brighton, I say well done and admire you for sticking it out. 
  • Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    Yup, It says "think before you do it", not "don't do it"
  • hmmm, well some people need to be a bit more thoughtful is all I'm saying!
  • well done on completing it....
  • I thought that Sussex Runner was just agreeing with your OP, that you were undertrained and unprepared for the marathon and needed a strategy to get you round. In layman's terms, you were screwed. Cougie offered good advice and Sussex Runner offered words of support, )before realising she had misread the post!)

Well done for getting round. Now next time you enter a running race do the training and run it!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Sally - There's lots of people on this forum who aren't sub 4 or 5 hours. That do implement a run/walk strategy but in your updated post you came across as saying a big "F*** you" to those who were trying to offer support and advice.

It's nothing about you being a newbie/jogger/runner - it's about simple respect of others.

Everyone who completes a marathon- should be congratulated. I completely agree. Not everyone can do the full 26.2 miles - but you need to realise how your comment could have come across; which is why I think you've got a bit of stick. I'm not a fast runner (far from it) but I realise that most of the "experts" on here have several thousand miles more of experience than me and are worth listening to.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Sally Webb wrote (see)
    hmmm, well some people need to be a bit more thoughtful is all I'm saying!
    Yes. You.