Speed/distance monitor recommendations

I'm looking to purchase a sports watch that incorporates a speed/distance monitor - does anyone have any recommendations? I don't have a huge budget so want one that costs less than £100. Any help would be most welcome!

Comments

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I have the Garmin FR60 with footpod was about £60 last year. Probably cheaper now. Other than that you're probably looking at GPS which are a bit more expensive.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The Garmin Forerunner 205 is on Amazon at £89.00. The Forerunner 110 is at £100 - but these change on an almost daily basis.

Both these two are GPS but no heart rate monitor. Go £20-30 more to include an hrm (the 205 with hrm is the Forerunner 305).

The FR60 can be used with footpod or hrm, either or both, for a similar price. Search on this forum for "GPS and footpod" (without the quotes) to find plenty of debates/arguments over their relative merits.

A good site to peruse is also heartratemonitor.co.uk.

Happy reading!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I use a Garmin 405 (with HRM).  It's smaller and more like a wrist-watch than the 205/305.

Does cost a bit more - you can get them for around £150 now.

I used a 305 for a while and found it really irritated me, as it slipped around my wrist (I have skinny wrists).  The 405 doesn't do this.

• Thanks guys! The Nike Sports band was the first I looked at but it got pretty bad reviews so that idea went out of the window - hence my cry for help on the RW forum!!

Think I will have a look at the Garmins suggested - thanks for the tip Wilkie, like you I have small wrists so I obviously need to bear that in mind image

• What's people's views on dumping the dedicated monitor and just using a smartphone with something like the Runkeeper app?

I use it, it tracks my runs, saves them online, displays data as I run (not that I use it) and can give voice alerts for pace or milestone times. Carrying whilst running means I've also got my mp3 player and phone with me all-in-one. Works for me but may not be as accurate perhaps with it's display of real-time pace.

• I have the Runkeeper app on my Iphone and have been using it regularly i think its really good especially with the regular summaries eg every 5 minutes. BUT ive found during the colder months its easily carried in pocket etc but running in the sun with no pockets makes carrying the phone a problem i bought a arm strap but these are quite bulky im now looking into a GPS watch! So Im with Charlotte Rose now and dont know which would be best!!!!
  • Garmin 110 - brilliant little thing. Best 100 quid I ever spent.