Race Numbers Etiquette

Hi

I noticed that quite regularly, race numbers are offered amongst other fellow runners (through forums, club meets, facebook etc), when the person who registered and paid for it cant make the race for a reason or another.

I know that the number has to be transferred due to rules and regulations however just wandered what is the etiquette amongst runners if you wish to take up an unused number? 

Do you pay the person giving you the number the entry fee?

Do you give a thanks gift?

None of the above as it swings in roundbouts?

Opinions welcome

Thanks

Comments

• I think I would give them the entry fee - of course it they said they didn't want it then that would be nice, but I would expect to pay.
  • Race organisers rightly take a very dim view of runners transferring numbers. It can play havoc with the results (for instance if a senior male takes the number from a vet 50 and then appears to win that age category) and in case of an accident or emergency, the race organisers wouldn't have correct contact details for the runner involved.
  • David Jones 39 wrote (see)
    Race organisers rightly take a very dim view of runners transferring numbers. It can play havoc with the results (for instance if a senior male takes the number from a vet 50 and then appears to win that age category) and in case of an accident or emergency, the race organisers wouldn't have correct contact details for the runner involved.
    I know that the number has to be transferred due to rules and regulations .....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Matchstick image
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    I wonder if mathschick is a matchstick image
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

For those races where I've either accepted or given a place a donation for the amount has been made to charity.

And yes these were always within the rules allowed by the organisers of the races and done properly. image

• If you accept a transfer number (assuming the race allows it - and quite a lot do) I'd expect to pay the original entrant the entry fee.

They may choose not to take it, but that's a different matter.