Feeling a bit disheartened

Hello

I started running 2 weeks ago mainly because I'm a mother of 2 and fed up of feeling like a sack of potatoes every day! I've also lost some weight recently and wanted to boost the final weight loss. I tried following a couch to 5k programme but didn't get on. I've ran 6 times, I'm running every other day and using the run/walk method. The first time I jogged I could barely do it for 1.5 minutes. I've managed to jog (very slowly) without walk breaks for 10 minutes twice now and am super proud. I always walk for 5 mins to warm up, run for as long as I can then walk for as long as I need to then run again for as long as I can then walk for a few mins to warm down, followed by stretching. Ok so I can run 10 minutes but I am SO out of breath. I always run in the morning, about 6.30am, wear leggings, running trainers, vest top and a thermal long sleeved top. I have to really concentrate on my breathing to get to 10 mins although my body could go on longer, my lungs feel that  they're being suffocated. My nose always gets really runny so I have to breathe through my mouth. Any tips? maybe I'm struggling because it's cold etc? Maybe it's just going to take me a few more weeks before my lungs can cope with it? The only joggers I know have gotten past the out of breath stage very quickly and I'm feeling a bit image about it all! 

Thanks for reading and letting me share my running story so far with you all

Comments

• Sal..if you are getting so out of breathe then i suggest going slower......keep going.......

to be honest i have been running over 6 years and run long distances now....and still find the first mile hard and i'm struggling with my breathe and want to stop....but if i keep on going then it gets easier and i enjoy my run
  • Thanks, so the breathing gets easier the longer I run? I do go very slowly, my husband says I'm too slow! I've been running by time rather than distance, I've just worked out a 1 mile route, will give that a go tomorrow and try to go past it a little, hoping that the breathing will get better past the 1 mile!
  • Sal - Well done so far, keep at it and it will get easier and you will be able to run for longer, but it takes effort and motivation. It's hard for everyone when they first set off because the body reacts to exercise and demands more oxygen. Like Seren says start off slowly and build up.

• jogon!jogon! ✭✭✭
    I agree with seren nos the first half to a mile i feel is the hardest part but it does get easier,make sure if you can your route is flat, uphill at the start can put you off. you might find going out in the evening suits you better.Try running at the start and stop when you have to and walk try to time yourself and go better the next time.You will soon be doing a full mile and more.....image
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I run with some runners who just go out really fast. i'm struggling trying to keep up with them. I can't talk as they are chatting away. I struggle and that is putting it mildly.
    I run with another female, she is faster than me, greater endurance, much fitter. Makes me slow down when we set off running. Always says I'm going to fast for her yet she is the better runner.

Don't worry about struggling in the first mile or so, don't worry about snot, my nose streams, Just relax and enjoy. You'll find your pace and it will all start to come together.

I still remember my first runs, cold showers just to cool down and coughing my guts up afterwards.

Why anyone carries on is beyond me but we all do. Strange.

• Sal, don't worry about how long it takes you to improve, I am the worlds worst improver and when i started running it took me FOREVER to be able to run for 10 mins. All the walk/run schedules seemed to increase too quickly for me and I felt like I must have been doing something wrong.

But i realised that not everyone improves at the same speed, so i ended up just repeating a weeks walk/run until i could do it before moving on. This weekend i managed my first 16 mile run - If i can do it then anyone can! 

I'd recommend following a schedule however slowly as then you don't have to think about what to do, you just follow the instructions!

You could also look to see if there is a parkrun near you. Our local one has people of all abilities running, from olympic athletes to walk/runners like yourself, ages from 5 years to over 80, and they all get cheered when they finish! its a great atmosphere and the cameraderie is encouraging when you are struggling - you will always find someone to help.

Good luck, and don't give up!

• Hi Sal

Agree with all the above.  Also try not to focus on your breathing so much - your body is an amazing machine and will do what it needs to do to get enough oxygen in so just relax and allow yourself to slow down to the point that you feel comfortable.  It doesn't take long before you are able to speed up but feel the same level of comfort. On tough days - slow down further or walk - you can't do anything to speed up the process of getting fit - your body will adapt at its own pace. Just keep getting out there - your fitness will improve.

ps ignore your husband - most lady-folk I know have heard a similar thing from theirs.image

• Sal - please don't lose heart. I started running on walk for 30 sec/jog for 1-2 min plan and found it hard too so you're not the only one. It took me 6 weeks to get from not running to running for 45 minutes - by the end I found the 45 min ok. I have to add I have no sporting ability and did not run at school etc. I agree with what everyone else has said especially the bit about starting slowly - I just jog really slowly to start with and eventually pick up pace (although not much). I am very slow and a bit overweight but believe you me - if you stick at it, it will get easier and you'll be glad you did. I think hating the first bit is pretty standard - I always hate the start of every run but get past it pretty quickly. The upside is every single time I run I am glad I have gone out (although I only think that afterwards image)
  • Don't give up! Run-walk is still great exercise and some people use a run-walk strategy to do marathons! Keep at it and you'll gradually find you're running more and walking less. Don't try to run too fast - a slow jog/shuffle is perfectly acceptable and still counts as 'running'. And don't worry about snottering everywhere - have you seen how much drool Paula Radcliffe usually has trailing all down her arm and off her elbow by the end of a marathon? LOL! Running isn't particularly elegant but after a while you'll get good at blowing your nose with your fingers and spitting downwind so you don't just run back into it!

When I started running I remember how horrible it felt and how much heaving and puffing and loud whining I did. I wouldn't ever have believed I could run 5 km let alone 10 yet I moved on to half marathons then the full distance and I'm now doing ultra marathons. If you just stick at it, you WILL get better. FYI, getting past the out-of-breath-about-to-die stage took me bloody months and I still get that way even now if I go out too fast on the shorter runs.

Well done for getting as far as you have. image

• Hi Sal,

I completely agree with all of the above. I started running fairly recently. I did the couch to 5k over a period of months rather than weeks as I found it so hard. I have just completed my first 5k race (and finished in a respectable time) and have entered a load more plus a 10k and the great south run!

Keep going. Listen to your body! Push hard but not too hard and you will soon see the difference. Before you know it you will be running further than you thought possible.

Good luck image

• Give yourself time to improve and keep going. You are very aware of how your body is reacting but that is a good thing. Take it very easy and set yourself private little goals as challenges. If you run in a park and start to walk. Look ahead to a tree or something similar and tell yourself that is next. Then when you can get to that running set yourself another target.Get used to being seen running. You will soon notice how many other runners there now are and how normal it is. You will get fitter, lose weight and be proud of yourself you just have to imagine what you want and make it happen. Good luck.
  • Sal

I started running in November and I was upset at how bad my breathing was. Initially I could only run 0.5km and people would look worried about me with all the coughing and wheezing. It took probably two months but suddenly it clicked, now my breathing will only limit my pace and not my distance. Trust me it gets better and when it does it feels soooo good.

Ignore your husband. Compare yourself to others only loosely, there are always people finding it much easier than you but there is no competing in distance running it is all about competing with yourself. Follow the plan, the speed will come later.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Sal - can i just say how impressed I am with your improvement!  Don't look at things you view as negative (NEVER compare yourself to others - this is YOUR achievement and your training, and look at what you have done in ONLY 2 weeks!).

You're clearly dedicated. And you're doing brilliantly.

I agree with others - it usually takes me time to get into my run (anything from 20 - 40 minutes).  When I started running, going for 10 minutes was such a feat. I then moved to 15 minutes, and then 20, then 30. All things I thought I would never achieve - but I did - and if I can, then very very seriously, anyone can! 

Make small achieveable goals for youself and feel PROUD for every achievement - not disappointed for what you have not achieved yet! 

You'll get there.

I agree - start slowly (and that's slowly for you and not anyone else) and you'll be able to go for longer.

Can't wait to hear how you get on!

• Hi Sal ... Better late than never ... I found your thread because I have just started running again after a short lay off and am having exactly the same problem. It'll be interesting to know if you have overcome it now? I think it is something that most runners contend with, I hate it and always want to turn around within the first mile ... and I have done the London twice!! I hope it is going well, stay with it, ,,, I'll follow your lead. Well done, hope you hung in there ... great effort ... Rob image