Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Mantras...I am not sure I have too many. That said that 1 am known to talking to myself at times. This is not a problem when on my own in a country lanes e.g. "your feeling strong son - just imagine how pleased you will be at the end" .... that said people will think I am mad if I do thing in the middle of a crowd on race day !!

• Options
    Rondo thanks for that and AGF I don't think you'll be the only one talking to yourself on the day. You'll be in good company image
  • Options

Ready for the Brighton marathon next weekend. Had my last gym session this morning. Enjoyed my warm-up races (Tunbridge Well HM and Surrey Spritfire 20). Have received my race number. Weather should be ok for distance running next weekend. By the way, the course has been changed to take out the hill at Saltdean and adding an additional section at Portslade. I think Portslade is to the Brighton Marathon what the Bronx is to the New York Marathon.

• Options

AGF, I am certain you won't be the only one talking to yourself on marathon day. After hitting the wall last year, I could distinctly be heard saying things like "Just one more lamppost, you can make one more lamppost!" or "Ok, 5 lampposts, Brian, you can run 5 lampposts!"

Not sure what to make of Jonathan B's comment. I live within a few hundred yards of Boundary Road, so wouldn't normally compare that area with the Bronx, but then, I've never run NY (maybe one day, he says to himself ... dreaming ...)

Short gym session for me today. Some arms and abs work, then 16 mins on Xtrainer and then 20 mins on treadie. starting to loosen up nicely.

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options
    I've been and had my nickname added to a vest (from Save the Children) and my old faithful running club vest. I will also take a very thin long-sleeve top to wear under either of them if its really wet / cold. Think I've covered all options. WIll run in lycra shorts regardless of the weather so no dilemma with this!

Anyone else feeling very tired, I feel wiped out! This is really unusual for me as I normally have bags of energy! image Hopefully nothing a week of rest won't sort out.

Mantras...hmmm...not got one but I'm very good at giving myself 'a good talking to' so I'm sure I'll be fine.

I've written a list of things to pack...can't believe how much stuff I need to take, who said all you need is a pair of running shoes to be a runner?!!?!!? image
  • Options
    Hey all,

I'm planning on visiting the expo Friday late afternoon/evening. Will be driving straight from Birmingham so can anyone recommend anywhere to park?

I've had a taper cold this week with sore throat and headache. Forced myself to do a
    7.5miler yesterday after 3 days of doing nothing exercise related. Legs felt great! Had a sports massage afterwards and my lovely masseur sent me home with echinacea so been dosing up on that and vit C! Did a leisurely swim today and then 2 x 3 milers next week.
    Can't believe that's it!

Very pleased the weather is still looking cool for next week. I think I'll brave it in shorts and charity vest as think I'll warm up fairly quickly.

I'm 12647 and will be wearing a purple scope vest with ZOE on the front! Actually excited about it now but the nerves will kick in soon...eeek!

• Options

FLOWERY FAY i wrote my list out last night im only staying sat and sun night and im taking more stuff with me than i will take on hols in the summer!!

Well only 3 more 20 min runs for me this week and then the marathon image

Massage booked for tomorrow night  with a physiotherapist/masseur...cant wait.. feeling tight in the shoulders and neck...will book for next week too...

Car is booked in for its mot this week too so ive got lots to keep me occupied.image also started to drink a glass of squash extra a day too oh and am still able to be in bed by 9.30 each night which is good..dont feel so tired in the morning either now....

Really feeling a bit sad now ive said i wont do anymore marathons...may just take a year out to see how i feel as the motivation wasnt there at the start of training this year but once i got into it became more enthused...may just do another 

I do dynamic stretches to warm up too leg swings, arm swings, ankle rotations etc nothing static though.. a few high knees and ankle to bottom kicks...oh and the mile walk from hotel to preston park...

Getting very excited just writing this post now...nervey and excited all together

• Options

Yvonne - I read it as 3 more 20 mile runs!!!! Now that's certainly not how to taper. image

Luckily my brain eventually realised whatyou had actually typed. much more normal way to  taper.

You might find after a good Brighton you get your marathon mojo back.

• Options
    Hi All,

After lurking for ages, finally time to post! Looking forward to Sunday. Have just been watching the video of the course and it looks like there's no barriers along the esplanade for last couple of miles. Is that the case? Can imagine swerving in and out of unknowing beach goers as I'm just starting to flag...

Run well everyone!
  • Options
    Zoe there is a couple of car parks behind the Brighton centre. Access via West Street or Cannon Place or just west on the seafront in Regency Square.
  • Options
    07:00–13:00
    http://symbol.yr.no/grafikk/sym/b38/04.png

, 3°,0 mm,Moderate breeze, 9 m/s from north

Wow, 3 degrees next Sunday! but at least dry and not windy.

• Options

Flowery Fay, that's not at all an unusual experience. Your body knows you're tapering, so major repair work going on now. Leaves you feeling tired for a few days, but you will regain your energy, and more to the point, your body will be in much better shape come Sunday! image Personally, went through the "feeling exhausted" last week and weekend, but beginning to feel a bit better now.

Yvonne, glad the benefit of extra sleep is beginning to kick in! image

Olly86, Welcome to the thread. The course will be fine. They will put up some form of demarcation and marshal it fairly tightly. Didn't have any real problems last year, but I guess it's as well to remain "aware" on that stretch as it doesn't matter how well you marshal an event, there can always be some visitor who thinks, "they're runners, they can get out of my way" image

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Accuweather gives the forecast as 12 degrees, mostly cloudy, winds gusting to 3mph (north easterly)and 25% chance of precipitation.
    But does it really actually matter at all?! image

Favourite shirts still not chosen between so the limper name badge still lies waiting to be sewn on. If ever!

I have to drive 210 miles straight after the 'jog'. Reckon I'm going to be completely car shaped by the time I get there!
  • Options

Juggler, Charlotte - thanks the little one is much perkier today.  Keeping her topped up with painkillers still but she's getting more used to the cast.  About to attempt bathing her which should be 'interesting'...

No running for me today but took my eldest for a bike ride as she's been stuck in a for a few days with everything that's been going on.  Discovered she doesn't like cycling in the rain but I wasn't sympathetic and we finished the course we'd planned!  The perils of having a marathon runner for a mum.....

Glad to see the weather f'cast is shaping up not too bad.  Wind would be my worst nightmare!

Have fun all - tomorrow morning schedule says final 'interval' session, 200m reps (so barely anything) - quite looking forward to it!

Thanks for the link to dynamic stretching, going to read that well.  Does anyone jog to the start or do you think that would be silly?

Thanks also for local recommendations of places to go.  Am bit worried about walking up the hill to the station post race!!!!

• Options
    LindsayYLindsayY ✭✭✭

Wow - so much going on the last couple of days!!

First up, WW hope your daughter is okay.

Welcome to all the new folks on here, and the older posters i've not spoken to before!

Katie - you're defo not the only one!  I've watched it three times since saturday, read the runners instructions on my train journeys to and from work since last wednesday, and obsessing over weather forecasts. 

Picklelilly/Anne - thanks for the heads up on where to go in Brighton.  I've never been before and so looking forward to it, so the information is gratefully received!

Mantras - I sort of had one last year and used it a couple of times during LSRs this year - bit american and cheesy, I read it in marathon training book i read last year - basically you tell yourself how great you are and nothing can stop you, whenever you feel the energy levels drop.  So i normally tell myself (out loud!) that "I'm an unstoppable running machine.  I never stop, I never walk, rain, snow and hail can't stop me, I am unstoppable!".  Not sure how much it helps really, but I managed to get through all my LSRs this year without stopping!!

I'm absolutely knackered - went to bed last night and kept thinking over the run, the course, my gel strategy, will i drink enough? gaaaaghhh - taper madness fully set in on me now. 4 miles easy at lunchtime didn't help matters - legs felt heavy and lethargic!! went to boots and holland & barrett after work to get bits n bobs for the weekend in brighton - energy/protein bars for after the marathon, and plasters, compeed etc.

Waves to all and apologies if I've missed anyone/questions etc - so hard to keep up with this thread!!

• Options
    Holy Moly! 45 minutes without a posting. Are we all out running?

Taper madness - I'm with Stig's earlier comments. I feel incredibly lethargic and unfit, but am forcing myself not to test myself with a longer or harder run. I do, though, definitely feel less fit than, say, a month ago. I ran the Wilmslow Half hard two weeks ago, but haven't done a 20+ miler for about a month (though I did fit 4 in before then). Just hope I haven't left my best run in training.

Getting my racing kit organised - black T, with an NSPCC logo cobbled off their running vest. Plus my Rupert avatar on the sleeve. Look out for me in the sub 4.30 corral (Blue, I presume?).

Would love to come along to the Travelodge meet-up on the Saturday at 4pm: is it just for a natter or a loosener jog? What are the post-race plans?

Just need to sort out sleep patterns as well.

• Options
    thanks Juggler, I guess I am just beginning to think about every single, minor point now...almost wish I was in work this week to take my mind off of it! Could we run the race tomorrow???
  • Options

Well it's Easter Monday and I am sitting watching the Chelsea Match feeling Like Sh++++++ have a Stinker of a cold ,ache all over  and praying that  it dies down at least before the weekend ,I have been so looking foreward to the marathon

I was on course to beat last years time by nearly and hour not sure that will happen now

• Options

Hi all,

9 miles done for me today.  Felt ok - niggles under control and a bit faster than MP but still a long way to go!!  As per others, I'm sure I was fitter than this before.

For those that havent run the BM over the previous 2 years, It is probably worth mentioning that the good folks in charge of the aid stations hand out the 'special' water from mile 13 onwards.  To the unwary this will taste exactly like other water (even in a platic pouch) but it will allow you a 10% increase in speed, a 20% increase in stamina / endurance and also has considerable healing properties to remove niggles and pains etc.  Just remember this will be handed out from mile 13.

DF 

• Options
    Is that legal?
  • Options
    Been in Dorset doing some acclimatisation training with the sea air. Must say good Friday on the beach was fantastic, even had a little taper-style snooze under the shelter of a rocky 'groyne'. Marvellous.
    Now back home and I've just spent 30 mins packing my Project 3:59 kit bag. Got a little snack this year too.
    My charity vest don't fit and they seem unwilling/unable to change it so might let the kids make me one!!! "daddy is cool" "Holly's dad is in front of you" "Katie's dad is late, he should have been here at 12:59".
    I quite like the mantra page in this months mag, been reading it almost every night. Can't remember any of them though. Mine is "you may feel tired, now stop moaning and run you little f**ker, 3:59 or it's an epic fail". Kids will let me enter total wipeout if I get sub 4 too - now if that doesn't focus the mind nothing will.

• Options
    Thanks Juggler for the advice - will run with the 4:45 marker and enjoy the experience.

No running today because (a) my feel still ache after all the dancing at my party on Saturday, (b) it's my birthday today so I deserve a rest and (c) it was raining !

In 6 days time I will be asleep on the sofa, with a medal around my neck and the biggest grin ever. And for the first time in ages I will have a sleep with dreams of the actual marathon, not my panicky 'worst scenario' dreams. OH is even dreaming about my marathon, he said he had a dream and I got half way round. What happened next, I asked. I woke up says OH! I'm hoping that tonight he will have the second part of the dream and imagine me crossing the finishing line.

6 sleeps to go....
  • Options
    6 weeks to go....!!! Yikes.  Been to frightened to look at any of the instructions on the BM website OR think about packing etc etc.  Better get started....
  • Options
    Forgot to post my mantra - when really starting to struggle it's usually something to help focus on my posture or form. "cotton & steel" is a good one that I pinched from a running book. Steel being your centre line from top of your head down through your spine - head, shoulders, hips in line, leaning slightly forward from the ankles. Cotton being your hips, shoulders, arms and legs, relaxed and rolling, letting gravity do the work. Blimey! Makes me want to go out for a run. Bit late now.
  • Options
    6 weeks. You'll miss it WW. image
  • Options
    I like mantras. I got really ill last year, was totally broken and had to gradually put myself together again.
    My mantra is "26.2 miles is nothing compared to how far you've come"
  • Options
    Can anyone give me some advise please, marathon virgin and got totally mixed emotions!! Training has gone well but getting niggling pains in my left shin, during fleet half I picked up a shooting pain in my leg just above ankle which was uncomfortable, and slowed my pace up. Should I strap up leg for Sunday? Also just read that people vasline their feet, does that help?!?! Advice, help, tips bring it on, cannot wait but am slightly scared!!! Thanks x
  • Options
    Oops I'm really not prepared am I? Better check I've entered the right race....
  • Options

Happy birthday Englandlynda green image  Achey dancing feet is usually the sign of a very good party night! imageimage

Some good mantra's going out there. think I'll keep Danny H's in reserve in case the situation gets desperate!! image hmm ... Total Wipeout ...

Picklelilly, not heard that mantra before, but definitely agree with having a "form" mantra available. Last year I nicked one from the "Born to run" book: "smooth, easy, light, fast". somehow tho, that rarely captures my current running style!!!

Dan E, the travelodge is just a meet up and natter, unless toby has a secret plan(!) Be great to see you there.

WW, glad the little one is perking up.

Tom G, reading between the lines, sounds like you had a tough year last year, glad things are better for you now!

Razkatz, Good to hear from you again. hope the cold clears up by the weekend. Must be bad if you're having to endure the Chelsea match image

• Options

Hi Lydia F, welcome to the thread! Have you had the shin pain checked by a professional, or do you have previous experience of strapping the shin? Would be a bit difficult to advise one way or the other, but if you've successfully strapped it in the past, it might well be a good option for the marathon.

As for vaseline on feet, this can definitely be a help (in fact vaseline anywhere that might experience excessive rubbing / chafing!) I always use vaseline or bodyglide on the soles of the feet, particularly the forefoot, and between the toes (particularly where they may rub against the neighbouring nail) for runs of 20 miles or more. -It's rarely a problem for shorter runs!

And don't be scared! The day is there to be enjoyed. If your training has gone well, trust it, and stick to the correct pace (or slightly slower). If you're not sure, always opt for a slower race option and enjoy the day. There are other opportunities to consider improving your times in the future, but there is only one first marathon!!!

good luck image