Pre-Run fuel

Hi

I like to run in the early evenings about 7pm and I get home from work at about 5pm so obviously having my tea is out of the question if I want to run at 7.

Anyone got any suggestions for a pre run snack that will fuel me through about 7-8 miles that's also relatively low cal?

Bear in mind I'm a 14 stone male!

Thanks!

Comments

• just make sure you've had a decent amount of fuel during the day - you shouldn't need any extra for a 7/8 mile run in the evening. as mc says - a banana should do, or perhaps an energy bar might fill what stomach hole you have.

bearing in mind I'm a 16stone male - that's what I do for any evening training session.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I would have a carby lunch - typically soup with a decent portion of wholemeal bread, plus Some fruit. Maybe white bread if there is not much time between your lunch time and evening run.

When I get home after work, maybe have a bananna, and get out running. Back home, chicken salad or something along those lines.

When you say "low calorie" what do you mean by that? What are you wanting to get out of your pre-run snack. Do you need the energy  (the calories) to fuel the run, or is it just to take away some hunger pangs. Is it that you are more keen on it being low fat, rather than low calorie? I think more info is needed on the purpose of the pre-run snack. Have you been tiring early on your run?

• When I'm working on losing a bit of weight, I like to run on an empty stomach. Sometimes I get my meal timing a bit wrong and realise that I'm going to be too bloody starving to concentrate properly. My favourite 'removing hunger pangs' snacks before running are a mug of coffee made with milk not water (fills a hole and the caffeine also gives a boost and prevents further tummy rumblings), a pot of low-fat yoghurt (LOW fat not NO fat - the no fat ones are usually full of yucky chemical sweeteners!), or a banana milkshake, as in a real banana and done in a blender.
  • I am one of those people who cannot run on an empty stomach but obviously not on a full one either. Depending on how hungry I am and how far I want to go I will toast a bagel or two before a run and set off within half an hour or so. And I recently discovered that if I have an energy gel (experimenting before the marathon - see I do read the manuals!) I tend to run pretty well. Well, better than my usual slow plod.

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    Cup of coffee, crumpet and golden syrup.
  • A bannana at 6pm should be sufficient as long as your meals during the day are spot on.
  • I saw a recipie for a banana, 1 tbsp of nut butter and 1tbsp of maple syrup, warmed for 1 minute in the microwave and mixed together.  Easy digest with sugars that will release at different times and absolutely delicious.  I know some may be concerned about the calories but I don't calorie count.

• Toast honey and mug of green tea

• seren nos wrote (see)

Jindalee...

I agree about the use of attacks..........he did one silly thing on the forums which wasn't going to be a major problem for anyone.......seems OTT to ban him form all...he was in the wrong but it wasn't that major was it to be honest

he did do some stupid things and I really disliked his personal attacks on people who were trying but slow.......

but he wasn't outright nasty like some who have come before

kay hillman wrote (see)

I saw a recipie for a banana, 1 tbsp of nut butter and 1tbsp of maple syrup, warmed for 1 minute in the microwave and mixed together.  Easy digest with sugars that will release at different times and absolutely delicious.  I know some may be concerned about the calories but I don't calorie count.

That sounds amazing, I'll have to try it! image

If I'm training in the evening, I have something substantial for lunch (but not too carby as I find that just makes me sleepy and in need of a biscuit by 4pm). The poached salmon, salad and rice box from Itsu works really well for me image