New shoes

Hi

Am new to the site. Am running in the London Marathon later this month and need some new running shoes. I have narrowed it down to the following:

Asics Gel Nimbus 13

Asics- Kinsei 4

Mizuno Wave Creation 13

Saucony Progrid Triumph 8

Any advice would be gratefully received on how these shoes compare and any recommendations. I am a heavyweight runner who underpronates if that helps!

Nick

Comments

• I can't advise between the different types of shoes, but I can suggest that you think really carefully about whether this is the best time to get new shoes.  I don't know what state your existing ones are in, but if you've done all your training in them, then it might cause you an injury if you suddenly change to a different shoe altogether.

If you really need new shoes, then I'd suggest that you get a new pair of the ones that you've been wearing and break them in immediately.  Wear them around the house / out as much as you can and then get one or two shortish runs in to see how they go.  If you get any niggles / rubbing etc, sort that out, then try them on your long run and see how they feel on that.  Hopefully you won't get any blisters etc, but take some blister kit with you on VLM day, just in case.

The one thing that I would definitely not do is buy a completely different type of shoe with only 11 days to go.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I would concur with what Jeepers said -  I bought a pair of shoes in January went out for a 7 mile run only to return and find both shoes soaked in blood where they had rubbed and I still have the scars 3 months later.  

If you do buy a new pair then you need to do it now and wear them in before London

• Agree with above. It is to late to purchase a brand new pair of trainers for the London Marathon, as realistically there is not enough time to break them in for that kind of distance. You might be able to get away with it, if your purchasing the exact same trainer your training in in the moment and wearing them every day to wear them in. Both if your current trainers are still good enough to get you through the London Marathon, then i would stick with them.

Last thing you want is to start struggeling in the middle of the Marathon because a blister has evolved or something is bothering you on your foot.