Flexor Hallucis Longus - Tenosynovitis

Booo! 

I have been diagnosed with tenosynovitis of the flexor hallucis longus, with a very painful L under arch of foot, making it painful to walk, let alone run.  Caused by repetitive plantar flexion from running and climbing, and probs old and dodgy trainers.

I just wanted some advice from anyone who has had this in the past, I wanted to know what worked best for them, what treatments they used and how long the recovery took for them.....??????

I also wanted to know what cross training you have been able to do, as even walking, weight bearing is painful????? Swimming is ok, but pushing off from the side aggravates it. 

So far I've

Stopped running
Got new trainers - Which I'm wearing to walk in at work
Am wearing new insole in other shoes
Icing offten
Gentle stretches
Anti Inflamms - As pain is increasing throughout the day - As am walking around on it at work
Have strapped the foot (Mid arch support)
2 x Ultrasound
Little bit of friction

Helpppppppp!   Just wanna idea of how long I'm gonna be off running, as want to train for my marathon and ultra - Which I'm running in Sep. 

Comments

• Hi,

I just joined  this forum, hopefully by now this matter has been resolved. All the best!!

• I've been diagnosed with the same problem and wondered how you got on and what the outcome was?
  • Hi all

Sorry can't figure out how to start a new thread and this was the closest match.

I have been suffering with tenosynivitis in my left FHL tendon for just over 5 years now. In that time I have cut down all activity, I've seen 3 physios and 2 orthopaedic surgeons and a podiatrist. I've had 2 MRIs which confirmed inflammation in the tendon sheath of the FHL - the tendon itself is fine. I've had an ultrasound guided cortisone injection into the tendon sheath - no luck. I have been wearing stability trainers "full time" (even at work) for the last 3-4 years and got some custom made orthotics about 5 months ago which I am wearing religiously. I've cut out all sporting activity - I don't run or play any sports and haven't done so for at least 4 years.

I'm really at a loose end with this and the doctors I have seen seem a little stumped. The last thing that was offered to me was an arthroscopy to "release" the FHL tendon but there is not guarantee that it will work so I am not really keen on that.

Turning to you guys for some support / advise as I really cannot cope anymore with this pain which I am suffering with daily. The main pain is the inside of my ankle - in the soft part just behind where the bone that sticks out and up the inside of my calf, sometimes as high as the knee but main pain is in the ankle itself. The sole of my foot doesn't really hurt. Sometimes the top of my big toe (say from the top knuckle to the middle knuckle) aches a little but the main pain is really the inside of the ankle as described above. I've really seen no improvement despite ceasing all sporting activity and the pain does at times make it hard to fall asleep at night.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • 09RLHR - I have never seen a post that describes my symptoms and attempts to treat them so closely as yours. For me it’s been four years, and a physio finally realised that the FHL was the issue this week. 
    My ankle, in the same place you describe, is beginning to become painful daily, my arch is tight and knotty and the ball under the big toe swells up and goes red after walking. 
    The only thing that helps me is yoga and stretching - especially of the calf, which gets very tight (particularly, I’ve since realised, where the FHL attaches). 
    Have you had any updates since September last year? Do you know other people with the same issue? I’m crossing everything that you’ve found a solution by now!