Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Having done the Pace Your Race HM same as Wonder Woman on a completely flat course, I can attest that a cross wind is a killer. Admittedly I hobbled it anyway due to dodgy calfs, but I know WW struggled with it. I would say it is worse than running uphill. At least it should only really impact on the first bit up to ovingdean and back as the rest is fairly sheltered.

Until we are all out in it there is no way of knowing how it will affect the run itself, so trying not to think about it.

I'm with Karen about panicking about niggles. Why is my achilles now sore? My legs feel really stiff already. All this will be forgotten around mile three when we are all locked into a groove.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Wayne, order a cab to the start. Hubby is driving me to the start from our campsite.
  • I've trained along the marathon route with some fairly strong headwinds. It's quiet rare that we get north winds down on the coast, we have prevailing winds from the south.

If it is northernly winds then the Downs might deflect some of it, and the buidlings along the promenade will help in town. I don't think it'll be too bad if it's north winds.

I've just looked back at a run I did that was really windy down here along the coastal route and my stats aren't that bad. It was 8 miles with a really strong west headwind (so half was the wind behind me).

I was still below my intended marathon pace to hit 3:30 and the winds were probably 20 - 25mph. It was also heavy rain. It was the most horrid run I've had weather wise which is why it sticks out in my memory. I was a bit slower than usual for mid-distance runs but I still kept below my intended marathon pace. 

• I still think im happier with a bit of wind than I am with rain or hot sun (I've also raced at dorney lake in the wind, where they did the race your pace one, and you cant really compared dorney lake with anywhere else as its totally flat for miles around and there are no buildings or shelter to break up the gust).

Im ok walking 3 miles to the start. I did the same at the reading half marathon and arrived pretty much totally warmed up, relaxed and used to the temperature. It will only take an hour and I'll have several of those to kill with the time I plan on getting up (I give myself an enforced early night the few nights before by using nytol). Plus I can walk/jog part of the course along the seafront and get a good idea on what the wind will be like, which I can then use to adjust my pacing the first few wind free miles to suit. 

• well on Accuweather it's only 14mph winds gusting to 20mph, which is an improvement already. I think I'll keep trying different weather sites until I find the one that has the best weather image
  • Wel I am feeling a bit better now although the cold is still here , going to go for a short run tomorrow to see how things are ,thankfully it seems to have stayed as a head cold

I had such a great time last year I have decided this cold is not going to beat me so I will be there

Good Luck to eveyone on Sunday see you at the finish line image

• STEVE D2STEVE D2 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if/ what/ when there are GEL staions on route?

• Steve - there are Clifbar Shotbloks at miles 8 and 15, then Clifbar Energy Gels at 21

Have used Toby 3's pace band link (thanks Toby) to print off a band and colour the miles that correspond to both bloks/gels and powerade stations so I know what's coming up (sad eh!!)

• Barry not sad at all, a good idea me thinks
  • Thinking about the wind, and if the BBC forecast is right, and the wind is from the north, then we only have to really worry about when we run to the north.

This is very limited on the course - as we turn the first corner round Preston Park, maybe a mile in the town (when we may well get some shelter), and then the mile or so as we leave Marina Parade at (nearly) the most easterly point (up to Ovingdean).

Other than that, it really shouldn't be too much of a problem.

• STEVE D2STEVE D2 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Barry, not tried those before any good?
  • STIG109 - Thanks, but I have to give the credit to my running partner for that one. . . .
  • Thanks for that Barry. Those miles suit me perfectly. I don't think I'll carry any gels with me then. My stomach is pretty cast iron (I might end up regretting saying that) so they'll do me just fine image
  • To be honest Steve I haven't tried them myself. Never got round to buying and testing them during LSR's so am sticking with my Lucozade Gels, but my running partner (and other posters) has and the concensus seems to be that they go down easier than the gels. The only word of caution is that some find them heavy if the whole blok is consumed in one go. Also, the gel at mile 21 is a caffiene one which don't agree with some people.

MarkD - wish I had your stomach!!

• Hi! very late joiner,

am doing the marathon Sunday. Have had a torrid time training part as a result of injury but also shifts at work. Praying my knee holds out to get round and just grin and bare it!

Have tried the shot blocs ersonally could not get on with them. Too much of a chew when running, sucking works but takes a fair while to disolve. I use the SIS Go-gels just so i dont have to reluy on water stations.

Looks like the wind and rain has dropped of slightly on the forecasts (though bit of rain would be nice!)

Am going straight to the EXPO to grab the race pack straight from my night shift Friday!

Good luck all!

• Hi folks! image

If it's windy, and you're into a headwind, just run in groups, (or behind somebody bigger than you!) It's amazing how much it can reduce the wind resistance. Even in a cross wind, this can work well. Though if you're running in a small group, you might be advised to occasionally take the front, in fairness, as it's hard on whoever is at the front!! Even if the group is slightly slower than your original target pace, the effect it may have on your finish time will probably be negligible in comparison with the effect of running directly into the wind for a long time. And with so many runners on the course, there will always be groups you can change onto as you run!

Nervously very excited now!!!! Game plan is in order. Just have to lay out my kit and get my name(s) on my running shirt, and pack my berries into separate bags, and make sure the sun cream is ready (which is also very good for protecting against wind effects) and that there is plenty of vaseline / body glide, and i can find the spray on plaster and .....oh dear, still plenty to do image

Brighton seafront looked lovely today, btw. Had a short walk and breakfast on the seafront with Mrs J. praying it will be this calm for Sunday, but not going to worry if it isn't!

Nice to see all the new posters image

Waves to all imageimageimage

• UGH - Wind.  If it is bad wind feel like I may as well quit now!  Rondo the Race your Pace half was the worst race ever for me (and I had expected a good one as it's so flat) - mainly because of the wind but also because of the poor organisation and sheer boredom of the course.  As I tried to run one foot would blow and bang into the other leg.  I finished totally demoralised.....  Really hope wind isn't too bad.  Will def adjust pace down if it is gusty though as otherwise I can see myself seriously slowing having expended extra energy to get through wind in first half.....  Fingers crossed for a wrong forecast....
  • WW, don't worry about the wind. With a northerly wind, and the course being what it is, you'll get a lot of protection from the supporters and for the short stretches where you don't, just draft behind other runners (as per post above). image
  • Thanks...At race your pace I tried to draft behind the giant running lucozade bottle!  At least that put a smile on my face...
  • I can totally see someone in a Sponge Bob costume getting blown all over the place.
  • Hi all,

I'm another late joiner. Have been reading other people's posts rather obsessively & thought I'd say hi.

Sunday will be my first marathon & I seem to have the standard mix of excitement & nerves, but have really appreciated feeling less crazy for stressing so much about which top to wear, having paranoid dreams of missing the start and writing ridiculously long lists!
    I'm staying in Brighton on Saturday night & will be walking up to Preston Park from the seafront in the morning, perhaps I'll see some of you along the way!

I lived in Brighton until a year ago, so happy to answer any questions people have about the city.
  • Have tried the shotblocks over the last few long runs and they are much easier to chew if you keep them in your hand for 5 mins. They really seem to change in consistency with the temperature and if it's a bit cold they are really tough to chew and run but warmed up a bit they aren't too bad. I'm not a fan of chewing and running but will probably use them anyway just to keep me topped up. Will also carry SIS gel sticks so no excuses for running out of steam.

Good luck 

• What is everyone having for carb loading meals and snacks today/tomorrow/sat? Struggling beyond the usual bagels and pasta.....

Ohh, and where's a good place for lunch (coffee shop type thing) with good sandwiches/bagels for carb loading?

• Wonder woman, take a walk down the north lanes... Plenty of coffee shops etc...
  • I'm sure there will be a Sponge Bob at Brighton again this year. Last year he finished in about 9 hours - no mean feat in the blistering heat!

There was also a giant pair of testicles who had major problems with the heat last year. Apparently he popped into a shop en route to blag a new fan fort his costume as his had broken. The shop gave it to him for free. Anybody who has the balls to run in something like that for charity deserves a free fan from a shop. I can't remember what time Testicle Man finished I'm afraid. Not sure if he is running this year.

This year there is someone who is 'moon-walking' the marathon and someone else who is completing it whilst wearing a suit of armour.  imageimage Crazy people!

I had a huge case of the butterflies this morning, just as I was about to go out and get my hair done. Was almost overcome by it all. Had some great running based conversations with my hairdresser who won the Brighton Trail Marathon by a massive 25 minutes a few weeks ago.  

• Julia - fear not, even the most experienced marathon runners worry about small things, or get little aches and niggles in the week leading up to the race. It's totally normal! On the day, just remember to relax, fuel and hydrate properly before the start, stick to your race strategy, and just enjoy the day. Im always envious of first-timers because the feeling when you cross the finish line of your first marathon is something you just cant replicate.
  • I'm guessing there was probably more than one pair of testicles who had major problems last year. Should have got some Bodyglide.image
  • Wonder Woman - Try Bagelman. There's two in the city centre. Their bagels are great and not too pricey. It's not really a sit down place though.
  • there is also a cool toasted sandwich shop in market sq.. does any kind you like! and very cheap
  • Well the wonderful wife I have put my name on my running vest last night, I have decided what I am wearing, so the weather better not change now. Just need to pack my bag tonight, and charge the ipod (not running with it) and garmin, then only tomorrow morning at work and then we are off to Brighton, getting really excited now.