VLM - can I wear an earphone?

Hi

I will be running VLM for first time this year. I've trained using a micoach device and iPod and would like to use them during the race. I only ever run with 1 earphone on anyway so will this be ok during the race. A lot of races I've been in before say earphones are banned.

TA MUCHLY

Comments

• You'll miss all the atmosphere if you do.  Personally I wouldn't though I have done in other long races where the support is very thin on the ground so I am far from anti-ipod.
  • I am worried about missing atmosphere but without the miCoach device I can't pace myself
  • I have never run with earphones and have to say you will miss the atmosphere.  Also I have found that having a quick comment to a other runner for suppot falls on deaf ears and they often are unaware of anyone around them but at the end of the day it is a personal prefernce.  Good luck
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Lets hope you don't run out of battery power, you'll still be standing there when the course is being cleaned up.

🙂

• The simple answer to your question is yes, you can, as long as you're not in any danger of being a prizewinner.
  • I don't have a garmin I have a miCoach so yes I guess I risk batteries running out but not much choice
  • Is micoach more accurate than the massive baloon arches they have every mile ?
  • For my time given I'm unlikely to cross the red start line for quite a while yes as I imagine it will be for all those people using similar devices that are watch based
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if you are aware of how crowded the VLM is. Dare I say it, when I've looked across the barrier at around 21 miles and seen the masses at half way, what I see is a mass moving at a speed. If you are in amongst that lot then that's your speed, your chosen pace will be rendered irrelevant.

🙂

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    Have you thought about following one of the pacers, letting them do the pacing work?
  • Stopwatch with a timer. If you want to run 10 min miles then set the repeating interval to 10 mins. Start it as you cross the start line. If it beeps before the mile marker you are running too fast and vice versa. 100% accurate.
  • Cougie are you mad!

Next you will be telling people to run by percieved effort!

Then what?

1000's running faster than they thought possible, first ignoring their Garmins then their ipods then,  I can hardly bring myself to say it, just leaving the house and, oh god I feel sick, just running!

You Cougie are a dangerous man!

• D0MD0M ✭✭✭
    I ran 2010 VLM with an ipod shuffle. Took in the atmosphere when i wanted, went into my own world when i wanted. Best of both worlds. For me, running with music keeps me in the moment and positive. I had a very strong finish off of 5 weeks build up (base was 12-15 miles per week before), music picked me up after a bad patch at 20-22 miles. Golden rule No. 1 for marathons is go with what you do in training.
  • Crikey, what's with the attitude from some of you lot!!??

Keeley - I'm with Philip Baker 7.  If you've trained with headphones, have them with you so that you've got the comfort of familiarity.  You can always take them out on the day.  Being able to hear the crowd cheering you along is awesome though, so one ear in one out might be the best of both worlds.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Welcome to 'Club Rhetorical'

🙂

• In my experience people who run with iPods etc can be dangerously oblivious to what is happening around them, so if you use one, be alert to the sudden and random behaviours of those around you.

I know I need all my senses to avoid taking dives.
  • I'd definitely not use them at the start - there are speed bumps from one of the start and I've seen some nasty falls from people not paying attention to the marshals calls.
  • Here's the thing. You think you can't run without music?

You can.

Thassorl.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure the OP is saying she needs it for the music - I'm assuming the micoach app tells her what pace she is running at? Don't bother with the music, because there's plenty of other music on the course; if you feel more confident with the micoach, then run with it, but maybe get a cheap 30 lap stopwatch instead.
  • I'm with VMoxy. What's with the attitude from some of you? The question was not about the merits of running with earphones but whether you were able to in the VLM.

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    oh my goodness gracious me! Cougie, you dangerous man, you! ¦'oD
  • Keeley thanks for asking the question. I'm planning on the 1 earphone approach but will tuck them into my top when I want to enjoy the atmosphere and listen when I need the boost.
  • I'm with VMoxy too. As long as volume is set at a sensible level, if it's what you have trained in, stick with it. Crumbs, we all say never change on race day what you have done in training, so I would stick with this adage for earphones.

One recommendation though is to choose the fit of earphones. Ones that are firm and sit just in the ear are much better than earbuds that tend to completely block the ear and so drown out other noise. Mine are the former and let me listen to music, listen to the crowd, hear my name, hear the marshals and chat with fellow runners. Oh, and even better....they are fully removable if I change my mind! image
  • My usual practice is not to put it (or them) in until I'm clear of the congestion at the start of a race and things have settled down.

I find it hard to believe (show of hands?) that, after that point, anyone has ever heard a shouted instruction from a marshal during VLM

I mean even without earphones, I, and apparently many other runners, miss entire stands of charity supporters bellowing and waving flags, so the chance of hearing a marshal say something at VLM, with or without earphones, must be zero.

• As long as you are considerate to other runners ... Will be my tenth Mara and it's soooooooooo annoying when runners don't hear you and are oblivious to people around them .. Also as a spectator it's madly irritating to shout support and have runners oblivious ... But if you need to wear headphones do so wisely and with consideration !
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    TBH I don't bother cheering for those who wear headphones on the provision they probably can't hear me anyway.