Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Hi there - just thought I'd drop by from the Paris thread to wish you all luck on Sunday - we'll be feeling your pain too (only we have to get up an hour earlier) image .
  • Options

Well i finished work at 3.30 and thats it till next friday...i plan to do some bits in the garden next week...

Xine267 great link really enjoyed reading that...

now this walking bus is it from the reception area at premier inn or the ground floor by the front door??

Gce there will be no void next week as we will all be on here with our stories of triumph... then someone will start the Brighton marathon 13 thread....image

• Options
    Yvonne. I think it should be compulsory for every one to put a full race report on here after the race. It doesn't matter if it all goes wrong. It's good therapy image
    Will hopefully be joining the premier inn train. Staying at travelodge seafront but it's just round the corner. As long as we can get toddler out the door in time image
  • Options
    Arghhhh apparently asdas don't do lucozade gels anymore!!!!! Does anyone know if gels are for sale at the expo?
  • Options
    Plenty of gu gels for sale, they will even give a free gel block that is supposedly similar to what's on the course on Sunday.
  • Options
    There is also a running store (not sure of name) on the road from Brighton station straight down to the sea that had every type of gel ( at 2pm today)
  • Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

"There is also a running store (not sure of name) on the road from Brighton station straight down to the sea that had every type of gel ( at 2pm today)"

Sweatshop is there and another nearly opposite, from the Expo/Brighton Centre go east past the Odeon and head inland up West Street, pass the clock tower/traffic lights one shop's on the right, Sweatshop's on the left.

• Options
    Cheers for that I can sleep easy tonight now. Was gonna just stick to what they had on the course but if I miss out on one it's along run to the next one image
  • Options

Should the 2013 thread be started now? I went to the expo earlier and have now paid my deposit for an early bird place for next year. image

I hope everyone's feeling calm and confident for Sunday's race and is carbo loading like crazy!

I hope those of you who are just visiting have good journeys down to Brighton.

• Options
    There's also Cotswold on Western Road that does gels if the run shops are out. Off down the expo now to pick up my race pack and change my predicted time.
  • Options

Anyone know if the Premier Inn has left luggage? 

Tried to call to confirm but no luck after ringing 5 times...  I'm in trouble if not - no plan B!!!!! (coming on train straight to hotel tomorrow so will have a suitase with me with the choice of weather-dependent running outfits and all the other gear!).

• Options

Evening all

Well here i am sat in flat looking out over the sea arrived at Brighton at about 2.30 wife got the biggest shock of her life as the daughter was here waiting to greet us she had wanted to come home for the weekend to see her mum as it was the wife’s  Birthday this week

But i had told her we were down her so we arranged between us to have her come down to Brighton instead without telling her mum

Been to the Exbo and had a massage bought a gel belt and the daughter has signed up to run Brighton next year well i couldn’t be out done now could i so yes i have signed up to run next year

i got the shock after the massage the wife only gone and signed up for it to i told both her and the daughter they need to start training now and to try a run walk plan

the half way point is right outside the hotel so the daughter can just fall out of bed and come down and cheer me on

• Options
    Anne & Toby I'm with you and have signed up as well image
  • Options
    Toby that sounds great - nice suprises for you all this afternoon!  What's the atmosphere in Brighton like, can you tell there might be a marathon going on soon?
  • Options

all the mile signes are up and the atmosphere was quite electric in the expo

• Options
    WW we dropped our cases off there early last year. They were fine image

Good to hear Toby BM wouldn't be the same without you
  • Options

Toby i knew you would sign up again  image but wow how nice is that its a family affair for you next year....im getting jealous now....but im going for london next year...im going for the sods law rule of if i say this is my last marathon and enter london then maybe just maybe ill be third time lucky .....of getting into london that is...ive tried twice....

Cant wait to get to brighton now...

• Options
    Getting really nervous now, packed my bag, got my number, just one slow 3 miler left in the morning and training done. Good luck to everyone
  • Options
    Nearly saw my marathon flash before my eyes this afternoon. Went for a gentle jog and got my feet tangled in a metal hoop. Think it was the remains of one of those paper lanterns.

Friday 13th, ey? My housemate was with me & said she thought it was all over for a minute. Luckily, just a nasty scrape on elbow & thigh. All cleaned up & ibuprofen just in case.

I reckon that means I'll have to have a great run now image

Off to Brighton in the morning. Cannot wait!
    Is anyone else still planning to wear just a vest on top? I have technical tees but would hate to be too hot.

Sleep well, all
  • Options
    Sounds scary! Supposed to be quite cold first thing, going up to 10 degrees by 1pm. I'm wearing a t shirt but debating bringing my gloves as my hands get cold really easily. They are only pound shop ones so can always throw them away if I get hot hands image
  • Options
    It's the worst temperature range. I think I will be just too cold in a vest top, and it would make me start too fast, so I'm going to have to go with long sleeves. I have a very light top, and I can roll the sleeves up. My forecast says it won't be 10 until 1 pm, which is round about when I should be finishing, so it should be OK, hopefully.

Definitely will have to take gloves as well! My gel belt is good at holding them on if I need to take them off, but really, they're were only a few quid and it's summer, so if I lose one no big deal.

Can't believe it's here! Our suitcase is sooo heavy!

• Options

Veester - that happened to me on a 16 miler - got my right foot tangled up in a metal hoop, then nearly went flying! Managed to keep upright somehow!  Glad you're not too bruised.

Just packing my bag now so i can have a relaxed morning tomorrow - so excited and nervous now!

• Options
    im still wearing a vest, but definitely compression tights now....
  • Options

I think I'm gonna wear my vest over a t-shirt with gloves in the morning before that I'll stash in my belt.

• Options
    The BBC is saying 8 degrees at 10am on Sunday. That's not bad at all. Hope the wind drops a few mph now.
  • Options
    For those in the red corral that think they should go lower. Some advice I was given last year was don't be in the back, move as far forward as you deem suitable and just let people overtake you. I was told this because if you are at the back you spend more time overtaking people getting in the way and actually running a slightly longer distance because of it. So absolutely don't worry about being in red, people will just go round you without any complaints.

The only thing is don't be tempted to keep up with the faster runners going past, remember to run your own race. Just keep thinking "whatever..., I'm right, your wrong and I'll breeze past later" , and keep an eye on your garmin or other pacing gadget!

I'm in Red and I was surprised I was placed in that corral too. Having given that advice about pace, I'm actually not sure what pace to do this year, its my second marathon and I've found myself running a bit faster than I have in the past. My original plan last year was 4 hours but I'd love to try to get under that now. My half marathon times for both Brighton and Hastings was 1:48, I didn't pace it, I just ran at what was comfortable. Has anyone with more experience got some ideas for the longer distance?

So many other topics to comment on but I can't remember all of them now. Anyway, glad your daughter is on the mend WW and that you're running on Sunday. Make sure you catch up on your sleep tonight
  • Options
    Oh and temperature! thats the other thing I'm worried about at the moment. The temperature is on the cusp of short sleeve/long sleeve I have no idea which to wear. Good idea on the gloves though!

I think my task for tomorrow will be to print out another name label and sew it onto a long sleeve top. At least then I have both options and can roll my sleeves up if it gets too warm.
  • Options
    Kevin i'm aiming for sub 4 and in the red coral so if you fancy plodding along to begin with let me know
  • Options

Im wearing a vest top and three quarter length shorts as i always get hot when running i think temp around the same as for brighton half and to be honest that was ok  and that was february and still a bright sunny day ...

Early to bed now, travel down tomorrow yippee then straight to the expo and onto have some pasta then the meet up at travelodge and a light supper back at the hotel.. then another early night tomorrow...cant wait sooooo excited and a tad nervous too xx