Unzipping front Trisuits - can/leads to DQ

At a Aquathon today at the race briefing heard from the race referee that a front zipped trisuit must stay zipped up to the top or after one warning you maybe DQ...

Now I understand no one wanting to see my blubbery (sp) chest but one reason for a front zip is surely to keep you cool....

Comments

• I know they intriduced that rule for ITU events - GB trisuits have zips at the back nowadays, but it seems a bit extreme in a local aquathlon.  I doubt they'll be applying it at Outlaw or they'll have to DQ just about everyone.
  • Depends how strict your Official is. The rule is that there be no nudity - and that applies to bear chests, commonly depicted as no nipples as per Dave's comments.

Personally, I tend to take a view on the race itself, the weather and the competitior as to what action to take. Podium placers (elites) shouild know better and I will nobble them. Age groupers I tend to tell them and give them a chance to rectify. If they don't, then they're in trouble. If the weather is blistering, I'm a bit more lenient and will probably just tell them to zip up in transition and just before they finish.

CD - don't be so sure of that, they may well do so, or they may take my line, and go for warnings first. However, I have DQ'd 15 athletes in one go for DQ offences - it was drafting on this occasion, but a good Official will not think twice about the number of DQ's he/she pulls.

• I daren't unzip mine once it's done up......   "things" would go every where
  • SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭

But it is not in the BT rules is it? I have  a tri suit with a very short zip in the front, approx 6 inches. Nothing in the rules says I cant unzip that. Is there? I have a running vest that is cut as low as that!

Full length frontal zips, undone,  I supose could be interpreted as being bare chested. But where is the limit?

Raced ETU champs a few years back when ITU were introducing this & supposedly had to sew or pin the front zip on my old GB suit. I just didn't undo it. Race was wet & cold so ventilation wasn't an issue in the end.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Women don't have any choice but to keep zipped up, whatever the weather, otherwise it is considered nudity.  Why should men get an advantage in hot weather?
  • I'd be quite happy for the women to unzip ( all for equality you know ) - it would make the marathon much more enjoyable image
  • No nipples on show?  Would a couple of suitably placed pirate stickers be the way forward?
  • "But it is not in the BT rules is it? " - yes it is - in the revised 2012 rulebook. note the last sentence.

22.5 Competitors must be adequately clothed at all times, the minimum being a one- or two-piece non-transparent swimsuit, together with a cycling or running top, if appropriate, with a gap no greater than 10cm (4”). All competitors must ensure their upper body (especially the chest area) is clothed during the cycling and running sections of the event. Front fastening tops and trisuits must be fully fastened at all times.

the rules state that not having it zipped up will incur a warning, and if the warning is not heeded, then a DQ may be applied.

and I'm with Min when officiating - the guys at the pointy end/experience athletes should KNOW and stick to the rules, novices need to be told appropriately, and conditions need to be taken into account, although that will will also depend on the event - National/Champ events will get rules applied more rigidly than a local event for instance. but ignorance of the rules is no defence - you should all be familiar with the rules.

you can download the 2012 rulebook here .
  • So if I'm reading 22.5 correctly that also means that crop tops are no longer legal?  What's Faris going to do?
  • That's probably why Faris doesn't race over here - WTC rules are different to BT rules I'm guessing?

• Wore my new Trisuit yesterday for the first time....

a) It is great zipped up as it stops everything wobbling around

b) Suzie couldn't distinguish me from 50 other Chester Tri peeps so onlyu managed 1 photo of me ....

• "gap no greater than 10cm" - doesn't say whether pre-race or during. so I guess if the gap between Faris's top and his budgie smugglers is less than 10cm pre-race then he's legal. but then he doesn't race BTF or ITU races now

BTF rules are more in line now with ITU - as Holgs says, WTC have some different ones.
  • Pirate nipple tassles!! Great! Can't wait to see some of them in action!! Although I could probably do with a pair myself!! image
  • SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭

Thanks FB. I hadn't read the new rules yet. (point to self )

My zip is actually broken at the moment so its not actually a front fastening suit image

• It does make a bit of a nonsense of having one suit design for all disciplines.  A high neckline is probably best for swimming & cycling, and that's the way most suits & monacos are designed.  For running though, especially in warm weather I prefer something a bit lower, which is easy as there's a zip at the front for just that purpose.  Except I'm not allowed to do that any more.

Given the ITU introduced the rule as much to keep sponsors logos visible as anything else, it's silly for the BTF to apply it everywhere.  It does the marshalls no favours asking them to enforce things such as this when they've more important things to do, like flogging ipod users.

• CD - the bare chest rule has been there for a little while - it's not exactly new, but this is the 1st year where it's implicitly stated that kit has to be kept zipped up at all times. I saw warnings being given last season for athletes to zip their fronts up. it will be interesting to see how many DQs come this season as a result of the amended rule and how the BTF manages the issue in the future.

but RDs and officials do have the right to issue "special rules" depending on the circumstances provided the BTF approve these in advance, and athletes are told OR in the case of "factors arising on the day" the BTF are told within 24hrs of the race completion.

so for instance, if they thought that zips could be lowered due to very high temps on the day, that might be a possible "special rule" but athletes would have to be informed at race briefing so there is no misunderstanding.

anyway - flogging for ipod wearers is too lenient. hanging is the way forward for that. image
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
     Front fastening tops and trisuits must be fully fastened at all times.

Not clear to me if this only applies to tops that are full length zips and that therfore need to be fastened to stop flappage and nipple exposure or also includes those that dont so much "fasten" by zip, but that incorporate a zip  so for eg the short zip on a typical cycle jersey ..... then taking that a little further the half length zip on a monaco .  If it does include these then is there a degree of openage that can be accepted ?.

Gonna make for a pretty unpleasant cycle ride if its hot and the zip has to be up to the neck for 8 hours image  

Pirate Burka anyone ??

• slag - the rule is pretty explicit - if it has any form of front fastening (zip, buttons etc) then it has to be FULLY fastened - that's right up to the top.

in reality it's meant to apply to the layer next to your skin, not any top worn over that such as a cycle jacket, although showing a bare chest underneath an unzipped cycle jacket is likely to get you a warning.

if it's hot, you're only likely to be wearing a single layer anyway so the rule has to be observed

all national kit is non-front fastening so you can't show a bare chest, and more and more branded/club kit is becoming rear zipped so inevitably, front zipped kit will eventually die out (if the rule continues)
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    What you need is a v-necked top, so that you are complying with the rules, but getting some air to your chest!  image
  • thanks FB . So if its the next to skin layer thats realy the subject of the rule then thats not quite so bad, for me anyway , as unless its seriously hot i'll more than likely have a compression top on under the pirate shirt  ... keep me a bit warmer after the suns long gone and i'm still plodding around image  ( well that and the fact  that the magic of compression tops make me look slightly less rotund )

• Did someone say Pirate Tassels

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/680713/Gallery/il_fullxfull_297487553.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/680713/Gallery/!CEnU1EgEGk~$(KGrHqQOKpcE0U4tVw4uBNSbE_I5f!~~0_35_0.jpg

• dear dog - no

don't show them to Barlist..... image
  • Can you imagine the parlaver of trying to go to toilet in a trisuit with a rear fastening zip.
  • seren nos wrote (see)
    Can you imagine the parlaver of trying to go to toilet in a trisuit with a rear fastening zip.
    without your tassles falling off ?
  • If the swim is non-wetsuit then men can show their nipples? I rest my case. It's a nonsense rule.

Competitors should not comply and race referees should not enforce. Simples!image

• Must admit, done all the way up feels quite restricting, I usually zip down to about halfway down the skull as per on the left and I have never had a problem. Though that's probably coz all the marshalls have gone home by the time I get there.

FB seems to have a particularly revealing avatar image

Now he's gonna DQ me next time....

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Maca Lad wrote (see)

If the swim is non-wetsuit then men can show their nipples? I rest my case. It's a nonsense rule.

Competitors should not comply and race referees should not enforce. Simples!image

and of course we won't....image   we might not ourselves agree with it but we have rules to follow - as do the athletes...

as for the swim, the nips are only on show for the start, swim and T1 - and the nips won't be on show in the swim will they??  image

DB - I'll be watching you mate....

• so is there anywear in the rules then that a non wetsuit swim that women can just wear speedoes.......

and all this no front zips undone.does that mean you can have one with a back zip that is so far undone you can see the workmans bum image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

seren - here's the rule:

22.5 Competitors must be adequately clothed at all times, the minimum  being a one- or two- piece non-transparent  swimsuit,  together with a cycling  or running top, if appropriate, with a gap no greater than 10cm (4”).  All competitors must ensure their upper body (especially the chest area) is clothed during the cycling and running sections of the event. Front fastening tops and trisuits must be fully fastened at all times.

the key word there is adequately and I suspect that if a female rocked up to the swim topless they would not be allowed to proceed.  however, given that some females are flatter titted than many males, it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference!!

and I have yet to see a rear zip go low enough to expose the plumbers bum....