Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• EnglandLynda - Yep i love running those hills. I first started off training for the marathon I was running towards the dreaded Power Station regularly as it's a nice flat run. But the road is also pretty crap around there and it's very dark at night. I soon changed to running those hills towards Ovingdean. I had a few great day runs where you get amazing views if you run along the walking/cycle path.

• Too many posts to catch up properly - well done everyone a great day, great company Rondo even through the cheers for barefoot Joe.

My watch said 3.50 so will need to check the chip but still a pb by 1hr 40 mins - couldnt have done any more today. God i needed that double whopper with cheese at Pease Pottage Services.

• Well done MARATHONERS !!!   image

If anyone is interested I've started a thread for 2013.  I am most definitely a man on a mission!image

First thing to do is to get entered...image

• the Shoreham power station can get a bit smelly especially when theres a wind. Bit unfortunate for us there was a wind today. I walked that whole section last year and didn't notice it at all, but boy did I this time round.

I really do love the brighton medals. This one is my most favourite of the three (for obvious reasons) and I love the bandstand on the seafront, so lovely since it got restored.

My next challenge is going to be to keep the weight off that I lost training for today!
  • Some consensus about the hills and the wind from winner Peter Some, even if the sun was lovely:

http://www.iaaf.org/Mini/LRR12/News/NewsDetail.aspx?id=64577

• Hi all,

Congratulations on all the fantastic times and great PB's. A combination of everyones dedication, hard work (all the weeks of training and on the day), plus some great Brighton weather, perfect for running. Well done everybody.

The support from all the locals and that of those who'd travelled far and wide to cheer on friends and loved ones was an enormous boost, Chris and I would like to thank each and every one of them, especially those who called our names (so glad we had those on our tops).

Apologies to Project 3.59, we arrived too late to try to find you (delays at Mill road parking, but wont go into that as the rest of the day was so memorable).

Travelodge at Horsham was lovely, all in bed by 10pm. However my 3 year old was screaming at around 4am, waking up in a strange room i guess, but she soon settled again.

Was aiming for a sub 4. Mile times were a bit up and down, especially early on, mile 1 was 9.20, mile 2 was 8.20, but settled into 8.50's after that for most of the first half. Struggled round the power station despite there being more support than expected. Glad we had some time in the bank as miles 21 to finish were all 9.10's plus. At mile 25 I was almost in tears thinking how close i was but having to urge myslef to keep going (the emotion was almost overwhelming). So chuffed crossing the line at 3.55.16.

Nearly sleep time after dinner and demolishing a lovely bottle of Merlot. Cant wait to read more stories.

• Well done Marathoners!!! Fantastic to read all your success stories, with so many of you achieving PB's and some pretty impressive times. I was thinking of you all and hope to be joining you next year, fingers crossed. Enjoy reliving the best bits and get ready for the come down!
  • Hey all, very Impressive times indeed!

I managed a 4:16 run which I was very chuffed with-aiming for sub 4:30 and one previous marathon time of 4:57 so knocked 40 mins off PB! Loved the course but struggled at 20+ miles. Don't even think I really hit the wall but had to have a toilet stop and then got a stitch which was unbearable to run through so even more pleased that I managed a good time despite toilet stops/walking.

I had a disaster with the water pouches. Was really thirsty at the first stop (probably a little dehydrated) and knew I needed water but had 1 small sip before it exploded in my face. Next station was powerade and just as I was about to take a bottle it was swiped from me by another runner!! Only managed to get water at the next station so was pretty parched by then and think my over compensation throughout the rest of the race led to my stitch and toilet stop later on! Also another one of the pouches had a hole in the corner so I ended up getting 2 pouches as every stop just to ensure I could get some water! They are a great idea but a little more work needed on them I think!

Well before this gets too lengthy, well done to everyone today-supporters and runners. You were fabulous. What a fantastic day and the weather was perfect for us. Enjoy some rest and relaxation now image
  • Zoe Brown 6 wrote (see)
    I had a disaster with the water pouches. Was really thirsty at the first stop (probably a little dehydrated) and knew I needed water but had 1 small sip before it exploded in my face.
    I had a similar experience around 16 miles - I squeezed the pouch and it just exploded out of the bottom and soaked the bloke in front of me - I don't know whether he was happy about it or not, I overtook him and never saw him again afterwards, so perhaps it's a good race strategy image
  • A tough day at the office for me - went out in 2:05 which based on my training appeared to be about right but didn't factor in a calf strain I picked up after my longest run of 20 miles which was niggling me all the way round. Was on for a sub 4:15 then hit the wall at exactly same spot of last year (water station at mile 20) and just frooze to the spot like a lemon for about 10 seconds - I sorted myself out and got back running to get in for 4:23 - just a p.b by 4 mins and kept ahead of noddy and his car I think (but not Fred and Wilma!). Congrats to all of you that acheived your goals - looks like I must have another go at the sub 4 hour dream next year.

N.B - Don't know you TobyF but sorry you just missed the sub 4 by a few seconds - that is a tough one to take, espscially with a wee break included.

• Well done everybody!
    Everything went right for me today. A consistent run ending up with 3:51:09. PB and I got to run every step of the way with my best friend. Absolutely chuffed.
  • Hi Sussex Runner. couldn't remember if you were running or not. good Luck!
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Well done everybody - will be joining 2013 thread as I have my deferred place from this year.  Fantastic running all.
  • I am loving reading everyones race reports! Dont know if anyone else had trouble getting together with family/supporters at the end? The a-z repatriation banners seemed to be in a very inaccessible spot, log jam on promenade impossible to get through, that was the only downside of the day for me. My friend and I ended up walking 2 miles to find them...

I don't think I will be running the marathon next year (although if I was doing any marathons it might have to be Brighton!), has anyone done the Brighton half though, is that worth a trip (is it organised by same people)?

Couldn't sleep much last night, restless legs despite ibuprofen.

Enjoy celebrating today all. Have to take my little one to fracture clinic (hope they don't think I am the patient!). Will be wearing my marathon t shirt tho and tempted to buy one of the BM tech tops as an extra moment.

One more Q.. Anyone know where we can find photos of the race, can't see any links on website....
  • Not sure what happened with last post. Was a repost from yesterday morning(!)

I see people are still posting good times and PB's.

Well done Karen Ives! Good to hear about the massive PB! and good to meet you on Saturday.

nice work Veester! Great return!

Dan le peloton, a PB!! Well done!

Zoe Brown a PB by a long way

Well done to Barry M, sub 4, ... Nice!!

Englandlynda green Great return. Been a good 50th birthday week for you!

Ian D, excellent work! Well deserved. And good to meet you on Saturday.

Mauritianrunner, another excellent result. well done!!

Enjoy your day(s) folks. It'll be up and down for some of us, cos we're tired and it's been an emotional journey. But we are tired today because WE ARE MARATHONERS!!!!!

Make sure you eat well. Remember, for the next few days, you need plenty of carbs and plenty of protein, with a little bit of those all important fats in there as well.

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Well done all on some excellent racing. To many to name everyone, but AGF and Juggler both seemed to have good races, and sorry for toby but with a toilet break I think we all know he is worthy of sub 4.

Things went well for me and ended up with a time of 3:08:01, so a new PB. Found the course hillier then expected in the first half but kept a constant pace throughout, went through half way in 1:31, and felt comfortable, that continued until mile 20 when I began to fad, (lack of 20 plus miles runs in training to blame),  so ran the second half in 1:37. Weather conditions were perfect for running but I was cold waiting at the start and the end for the bus back to car. I now have a guaranteed entry into London with a  good for age time, however thinking I will be happier coming back to Brighton next year.

Hope everyone's legs are not to stiff.

• Morning all. Feeling a little more positive this morning. As juggler says we've done a marathon.
    Nelson that's an awesome time !
    Stairs are an issue today image
  • Morning,
    Loads of great times being posted. Congratulations everyone.
    Wonder Woman, really glad you made it in the end! Brighton Half was excellent this year, 1 drawback though, it was around 600 metres too long! An error with a cone placement apparently. Other than that though it's a nice course - it goes along most of the nice bits of the marathon route but avoids the power station. It's a February marathon so it's pot luck with the weather but this year it was stunning.

My marathon yesterday was an amazing experience. Loved the crowd, the course, the weather and the way runners would just come and chat to you and give you a little lit. I also discovered what hitting the wall means. Mile 21 I paid for being too quick in the first half. I completely ran out of energy, felt so weak I just kept thinking, "how can I do another 5 miles?!".

Luckily for me I knew one of the lovely people at the water station behind the power station and as I turned the corner the whole water team really got behind me. They shovelled water and gel into me and I kept going. My energy levels picked up enough to manage the final 5 miles, but I struggled until I saw the 800 metres to go sign then found enough juice from somewhere for a strong finish. Amazing day.
  • Does anyone know if they post up 'proper' results later? Doesn't seem to be any age category info or even gender info at the moment.
  • Stunning result Nelson. I can't imagine what time you will get at Abingdon

Wonder Woman you really are your namesake.That must be all the more satisfying after your week.

Great result Ian. You now have that marathon done. Good luck with your ironman in 2014.

Thank you for the positive advice Juggler as I am definitely feeling a slump today. Couldn't have run the day any different, but can't believe the training didn't seem to work.

Also really struggled with gels. Sent my stomach crazy the whole way even though I've trained with them.

Need numbers for any london runners. Kids desperate to watch another marathon.

• Ran a 3.14 pb yesterday which at 45 gets me a good for age in London which I am running next week. I like to do different marathons as an adventure. Loch Ness and Jersey were good ones and I would put Brighton up there.The crowd support was very good and the locals were very friendly. I got stuck in pen 2 at the start which I couldnt understand. I came 281st and my previous times should have put me in the first one. Like London I spent the first few miles breezing past people that are really slow. It was very windy but helped keep me cool. Well done to everyone yesterday. We came down Saturday morning and had a good weekend. I would recommend this marathon to anyone.
  • RONDO - good morning, glad the kids enjoyed yesterday; I expect they are worn out as well!
    For London I am 1414, in the blue start wearing a green t.shirt with CHARLIE on the front- very good luck spotting people, I think that's a sport in itself!!
  • john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Brighton half is organised by different people and is a much more low key event.

It's interesting that a few people had trouble with the water pouches - I found them OK, but as I didn't run I have a different viewpoint,  it may be completely different when running compared to standing still. Will mention it to team, I'm going in soon to help with clear up.

I agree with comments about the power station/docks, it depresses me and I only get to drive round, but I think it's the only space available and it easy to close off to traffic. To avoid it either the course would have to go further inland which would cause more traffic disruption so may not be allowed by the council/police, or it would have to go futher east which means more hills like the ones near Ovingdean.

Alternatively I suppose it could go to the docks first and then out to the east, but then you'd have the hills to do at the end which wouldn't be popular!

Well done to everyone who ran, hope you all recover quickly and come back for more next year. 

John

• Well managed 4hours exact so pleased but also abit frustrated with myself that I didnt make that one second to get under 4 hours.... Keep thinking if only I had been quicker at the loo stop or not streached as long etc But pleased overall. Went of to fast but managed to hang on in for the last few miles....

Going to have at least a week off but then got to start getting ready for my next challenge.Im doing 132miles in 5 days at the end of May from Ilfracombe back to Bulford in Wiltshire called the forces march

Why o why did I agree to it as I can hardly walk now let alone do another marathon?? or 4!!

• Brighton was my 7th marathon.  My first actually in Brighton and I have to say first and foremost... WHAT A RACE!!!  Hats off to the organisers and most namely the supporters.  I've done NY, London, Berlin, a couple of Italian/French marathons and Brighton only comes 2nd to NY in terms of support.

The support really was utterly amazing and the Brighton residents should be utterly proud of coming out on a day like that.  Incredible.  I was expecting bad things at the power station due to my bro telling me how quiet it was.  Yeah it was quiet in comparison to other sections of the course but the people that were there were incredible!

So for that... I salute you...

Unimportantly, my race didn't quite go to plan.  3:32:08 for me but I started in the wrong pen (pink one).  I spent the entire race weaving and dodging which really did begin to sting at the 23 mile mark.

But who cares, loved the race, loved the organisation.  It's perfect!

I'll definitely be back for this!!!

Additionally a massive well done to everyone on here.  It's been brilliant to follow everyone's progress/fears/positives and see the vast majority come through the race unscaved and with amazing times!!!

• Sore this morning but so glad I did it. 6 months ago didn't think I would do it at all as had breast cancer and had to have a mastectomy and lymph node clearance almost exactly 6 months ago to the day. Did a half 4 weeks later and although sore thought the marathon actually might be possible and it was.  Getting through it to get a sub 4 on my first marathon was extra special. Thanks to everyone who made the day so brilliant and if I can convince my husband to let me (he didn't like being disturbed for my 5am runs) I will be back.
  • Wow - there has been some amazing runnng by you all. CONGRATULATIONS everyone.

Overall I had a good day, apart from a slight but sort of comical blip but more about that later.

I was really chuffed to run past the 800m sign this year feeling tired but strong and my last mile or so was the fastest of the whole day by quite a bit. 

I was about 3 hours 52 quicker than last year's time. What a difference not spending 3 hours with the St.JA makes!

My finishing time was 4:37:45 which smashed by PB by over 24 minutes.

The support in Brighton and Hove was truly phenomenal this year. Busier and noisier than last year, I think. At one point the noise was giving me a bit of a headache! I also valued the quieter spots where I was able to concentrate on my running form.

I spotted Faya quite early on in the race and had a quick chat. I also had a few minutes chatting to Jenny Bridger (from last year's forum) but didn't spot anyone else. Although a couple of ladies before the entry to the Road to Hell asked me if I was Clumsy Anne! No idea if they were forumites or FaceBookers though. On exitting the Road to Hell I got cheered on by Zoe Ball. How cool is that?!

I hope you all enjoyed running through the mile 24 water station (not the Powerade one) as it was (wo)manned by members of my running club. As I ran through they they all were chanting/ shouting my name out like crazy which was the most amazing experience ever. 

I found that when I was running the wind kept changing direction so that I seemed to be running into it quite a bit! Drat! Thanks goodness the wind wasn't strong the whole time.

Anyway, back to my comic blip...

,,,, after eventually crossing the start line (took about 17 minutes) I was caught up in the excitement of it all and duly forgot to look where I was running and had an almighty trip, landing sprawled on the floor image. Whoops! I don't think Gus Poyet saw it though... I was immediately pulled up by some guy behind me and continued running, feeling very sorry for myself whilst running up that hill - sore knees, elbow and thumb. I was carrying a pounch at the time so my thumb really bashed into the ground quite hard. Luckily for me I had capris tights and gloves on. I didn't dare look at my knee! The knees and elbows stopped feeling sore after a couple of miles but it became obvious that my thumb wasn't working properly,

One guy came up to me at about mile 5 (I think he was the one to haul me back to my feet) as he had eventually noticed my nickname pinned to my back so we had a quick joke about it.

I had to ask other runners to open my gel sachets for me apart from the last couple when my thumb had been chilled by carrying the water pouches (which I liked), 

So a good job done for me and another marathon 'story' to add to my collection.

I have my registration code for next year's marathon so must get around to signing up soon. And joining the 2013 thread, of course!

Here ends the clumsy one's race report.

• Vet on the run - what a huge acheivement after your breast cancer and masectomy. To just finish the marathon would have been a major achievement but to do it in under 4 hours is truly awesome!

imageimageimageimageimage

• Looking forward to reading everybody's race reports on the train back to London.

24 hours on, I'm thinking about next year, where can I find the advance entries?

Then autumn? Might do Frankfurt, has anybody any experience on this?

• TridiverTridiver ✭✭✭

Wonder Woman photo will be available here pics

Nick Smith 41 I think Sports Systems did the timing and they normally get the times up by the end of the day, but they don't seem to be there yet. Apart from the list on the offical site.

Vet On The Run  Post of the thread, we are not worthy. Well done.