Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• GCE - There was one sub-4 pacer named Brian (with an orange hat on) and also myself. My splits for miles 20-26 were 8:59 9:05 9:01 9:01 8:58 9:02 9:00 so that may have been me. Glad I could help!

Barbie1976 - I hope you enjoy Beachy Head, it's a superb race and entirely different to something like Brighton. You can either go for it as much as the terrain allows, or take your time, soak up the views and enjoy the cakes, sausage rolls and cups of tea/coffee at some of the checkpoints image
  • Emdee, then definitely you. Your consistency won me a £500 bet, achieving under 4.

Awesome job, well done.
  • Emdee surely your entitled to part of that £500. Call it commission image

Barbie I did beachy last year and doing it this year. It's a great run
  • This was my second Brighton marathon and I, like many others, really enjoyed it.

My only negative - because I loved the pouches image - was the "fake" finish line at 26miles. It looked just like the start line and I wasn't alone in putting in a super-human effort to sprint over it only to find that there were 0.2 miles left. It took a short while to get back into gear and amble over the real finish.

I finished in 4:10:02 - sooo close to breaking 4:10 and I blame it ALL on the gantry at 26miles ... nothing at all to do with the inordinately long wee I had to take in the first mile. Why does that happen? image

•  Emdee, you and brian dragged me over the line for which I am grateful. You overtook me just after the brighton centre.

Danny after the stressful time you have had recently I really feel for you. Remember not to worry about it too much as the post marathon low will pass.

• surprised to see there were only 8900 finishers recorded after 15000 race packs had been collected!

Had a very off day myself; set off nice and steady but faded badly in the second half despite this! quite annoying really as I knew i'd done everything right, but I was clearly lacking the proper endurance despite plenty of long runs. Dragged myself accross the finish line in 3:10:36 eventually, which is annoying as it's 36 seconds behind the GFA time for next years London Marathon! I have another shot at that in Edinburgh in 6 weeks though, so here's hoping.

• Glad everyone enjoyed their selves yesterday , i am sitting at home feeling devastated started off very well was on time to do a 4.30 times then at mile 12 my legs just stopped working and putting one foot in front was extremley painful jut tring to walk ,I honestly do not know what went wrong

all the work that I had put in just went out the window and was unable to finish

Congratulations to everyone that Did the Brighton yesterday and good luck for the next one

• I think this was the best year yet. Tad chilly but less heat, better start and less pinchpoints than in previous years. That 26m gantry is a bit strange, can't remember if it was there in previous years.

Pouches can be a pain, takes a while to get it right and not choke or spray neighbours but much better than bottles lying around to be trodden on. Can take a while to get used to shot bloks too, stick to your teeth, swallowing lumps of the things, don't think I'd ever buy them. 

Wasn't sure what the start pens meant in terms of expected times, wanted to keep an eye on the 3:45 pacers but having got to the blue pen about 8:45 and seeing the 4:15 pacers at the front of the pen behind was horrified when 2 4:00 pacers passed me just before the start and make their way through up the pen. So was a lot further back than I thought. Passed the first 2 around Ovingdean and another one on the way back to the city (yes she was well up on 4:00 schedule - did she get a group through well under 4 then?) but only ever saw the 3:45 guys on the other side of the road. 3:47 in the end, but that 3:45 thought still nagging me.

• Hi all,

Things didn't quite go to plan yesterday, had been aiming and training for a sub 4 and ended up with 4:14:58. I can't be too disappointed though as I was up at A & E on Tuesday with a suspected stress fracture, which turned out out to be a bad shin splint! I managed my 9 min/mile pace up to about mile 18 and then things kept creeping up and up and the powerstation finally finished me off, again. I wish you could run that first and get it out the way, but then not sure that Ovingdean would be much better at miles 20-23!

If anyone has any good articles on how to maintain pace in the latter stages, please let me know!

See you all next year

Rich
  • HowFar, I saw one of the 4 hour pacers stopping and running back the otherway as she appeared to have lost her flag, did anyone else see this?

Would be good if the pacers could spread out in the pen rather than having to catch them up

Rich
  • After a quick post of my time yesterday, I thought I'd post my race report now I've had a chance to analyse it a bit.

I started really close to the back of the pack, having been delayed waiting for a wee before we set off.  I ran the first two miles as the first one was really slow and I wanted to get into a rythmn and on pace before I started into my walk/run strategy. 

As soon as I hit the 2 mile marker, I walked for a minute and then ran for the rest of the mile and did this all the way through until I got to the 24th mile, where I waited until about 24 1/2 miles before doing my minute walk in the hope I could run the rest of the way... which I did!  Thanks to the forumites who suggested walk/running - with my training going awry in the last 5 weeks with injury and illness, this really got me through and I wouldn't have thought about doing it without you guys!  I'd have ended up walking the last few miles I think.

Time wise, I knew I wanted a sub 5 hr marathon and that was possible with an 11 1/2 minute miles.  However, I found I was a bit quicker than that and was doing just shy of 11 minute miles for a good way round the course . 

The hills were fine, no problems with them at all  and I found that in the second third of the race I was overtaking a lot of people.  I felt great for about the first 16 miles, I breezed past the halfway part in 2hr 23 min (I've run a slower half in the past) - at one point I had to stop myself thinking that it was a lot easier than expected. 

However, when I got to about mile 21, it started to get seriously difficult.  I got round the power station OK, but the run back along the seafront was HARD WORK.  I had to dig really deep to get there, and although I'd stopped calculating my mile times by then and I knew I had time in hand to get my sub-5 due to my earlier quick pace, it hurt. I don't think it was because I went off too quickly, I think it's just that marathoning is hard work, especially if your training falters at 18 miles!

The marshalling and support were excellent.  Special shout outs to a personal trainer-ish guy outside the King Alfred Leisure Centre shouting that we were looking strong and doing a good pace, the lone marshall just after the 21 mile marker shouting inspirational quotes about how we would get throught it and would become marathoners and the amazing support around Hove Lagoon - just when I needed it most - so many people yelling out my name and shouting out, as well as the Stroke Association supporters who gave me a boost at mile 25!

I've said this will be my only marathon - I'm not saying never, but I want to concentrate on halfs and a 10K i've got in May.  It's certainly fired up my enthusiasm for running, but whether it's my only marathon remains to be seen!

• Things I learned yesterday:

- The power station section really stinks of sh*t on a windy day
    - Jelly Babies really are a marathon runners best friend
    - Caffeinated Blackcurrant Powerbar gels are truly disgusting
    - Water pouches provide superb entertainment value
    - A staggering amount of Powerade goes to waste
    - If I hear "Footloose", "YMCA" or "Eye of the Tiger", I have to sing along!

That last one is a bit worrying!

• Yesterday was my first marathon attempt and i thoroughly enjoyed it! Ended up with a PB of 3:29:39, which I'm over the moon about! I will, without a doubt, be signing up for next year's race.

My only criticism however, would be those 'Iconiq' water pouches. Almost choked myself into stopping as water gushed down the wrong hole, at other times it didn't want to come out at all! I'm really hoping they drop these pouches for next years event and go back to using regular bottles!

Other than that, it was an AWSOME day!

• Regarding the gantry before the finish - I think this was the finish line for the kids mini-mile race. By all accounts they didn't finish at the main finish but slightly earlier, so I'm guessing that's what it was.
  • Nick: if that is the case, maybe they should have mentioned that in the final instructions. Nothing worse then seeing what I thought was the finish to then look up and see one last bit had to still be run.

I had no issues drinking from the water pouches, but did try squeezing some water over my head at one point and could only get a small drizzle to come out. Not so bad yesterday, if however it had been a hot day this would have really annoyed me.

• Hi all,

I think that i'm up to date with all the posts from yesterday and I think that some key notes going through the after race nutrition revolves around hot curry and bottles of merlot.  Do these help with sore quads?

DF

• To be fair, it was quite close to the finish - much closer than the 800m to go sign (which is a tiny bit further than 0.2 miles). In fact, it was barely 10 meters before the finish. Plus, the big gantry saying "FINISH" in massive letters and with digital readouts showing the gun times should give away the real finish line image

Here's a photo..

http://www.demotix.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/large_610x456_scaled/photos/1159128.jpg

See the big thing saying FINISH? Is the white barrier just before it what you're talking about? (there was one at the start and another at halfway also)
  • DolphinFriendly - Blue 1613 wrote (see)

Hi all,

I think that i'm up to date with all the posts from yesterday and I think that some key notes going through the after race nutrition revolves around hot curry and bottles of merlot.  Do these help with sore quads?

DF

I had a hot curry a few beer and a bottle of merlot and I am still walking down stairs backwards, so no I don't think it helps in the slightest. The merlot certainly helps you sleep and we've earnt the right to spend 24 hours eating and drinking whatever we want!

Nurofen helps with the sore quads image

• emdee: a great photo that brings back memories. To be honest anyone could see where the real finish was, but when the back of your hamstrings are cramping up and you only have a minute or two left to hit your target that last bit was hard.
  • Anyone any ideas why my little toe might be numb ?
  • Fair enough Nelson.. glad you made it anyway image
  • Stig: are your shoes to tight around toe box?
  • Hmmmm no. Had some aches there yesterday. But today feels a little numb. I'm sure will pass. Just odd
  • Im home now after a great 2 days in Brighton....

Well done on everyones times 

I came in in a pb of 12 mins from last year at 4:23:12 wanted under 4:30 but wished i hadnt gone out so fast...kept telling myself to slow down ran the first mile spot on in 9:45 for me the first mile is always the slowest....i kept looking at the garmin which was telling me i was running 9:20 pace just wanted to keep a steady 9:45 pace all round for a 4:15 to 4:20 time but hey im chuffed to bow out of marathons with my fasted time yet...

Post race was a banana moo shake from the pier a packet of plain crisps. followed by 2 pints of guiness ,curry and cheesecake...

Now if only tottenham had won ....

• Stig: I had quite a few niggles and twinges in my feet and legs on the drive home yesterday, but after lots of stretching this settled down, though quads are still sore. Guess it is to be expected after marathon running.
  • Have to say i liked the water pouches and found them easy to carry having said that i did soak the guy in front feet when i step on one that had been discarded and sent a jet of water at him

Refuelling mine was a double cheese burger and a large fries from Burger King followed on later by a hoe sausage and for supper a jumbo sausage and chips

have to say i knew about the grantee as it was posted on this forum  the day before the race to warn us it was there

john2443 wrote (see)

It's a bit late to tell you, but 8 metres before the finish there's a timing gantry which IS NOT THE FINISH, keep going til you cross the line under the big gantry with FINISH written on it - we've just spent the early evening putting banners up along the finish stright.

Enjoy the run everyone! 

GCE the guarantee place were being booked at the Exbo i not shore other than that you may have to wait till the entire open online

Dan great to meet to meet you Sunday sorry thinks never went to plan but you have to do it again or as it’s been said it will haunt and your always what if wonder if

Tom i don’t know about Noddy but some one posted on a thread i started a long while back that her husband got really annoyed when a giant stick of pepperami past him on the mall in the run into the finish at London one year

• DF - Curry and Merlot definitely works, I couldn't feel a thing after the wine let alone the quads  image. On a serious note, it still took me a couple of hours to really get settled into sleep though.
  • The way I see it is a straight choice another marathon attempt or an ugly divorce. I'm sticking to social runs, half and 10ks only, well for a year or do anyway.
    Emdee loved that pace until I fell off the back. One question though why was brian so far ahead of you or is it because he struggles in the home run so had to get some time in the bank!!!
    Solent and juggler thanks for all the advice over the months. Solent I'm going out this weekend to set that marathon pb of mine on a training run!!!! I'm much better when I keep my own times!!
  • Danny: Brian had intended, like me, to run at around 3:58-3:59 pace throughout, so averaging over 9:00 a mile. However, we both found it difficult to maintain that pace.. my marathon pace is around 7:30 and my relaxed training pace is around 8-8:30 a mile, so it took a lot of concentration to keep it nearer 9:00. Any time we went past a particularly vocal section of supporters, I found myself wanting to speed up and had to fight that urge. Also, at points, it got pretty congested, so we had to split up a bit at times. I think as well that once we found ourselves a bit ahead of 4:00 pace, it was difficult to slow too much, as we had people with us.