Fuller's Thames Towpath Ten

Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
I've signed up to do this in a couple of weeks. Has anyone done it before? What's the course like?

Comments

• Roger 333Roger 333 ✭✭✭

Hi Nessie,

I'm also running the Towpath Ten for the first time - got my number and chip last week and looking fwd to it.

Any RW gems regarding where to park, tips on the day from bitter experience etc much appreciated guys ?  :thumright::

( talking of bitter - there is a free pint of London Pride at the end right?) 

Roger 

• Roger 333Roger 333 ✭✭✭

Er.....wrong...there was a free pint GLASS, rather nicely engraved - but that was the extent of the goody bag, not even a commemorative cheap-as-chips medal on a ribbon to be slung in the desk drawer ( as you see fit) .Edit: Nessie seems to have found the Fuller's tent - I missed it obviously!

Tips from bitter experience, should you decide to do this race next year.

1) Race HQ is in a building overlooking the cricket pitch. Whilst pleasant enough, it boasts TWO loos in the Gents. Bearing in mind there are 450 runners in the race, 70% of whom are Male, suggest you make sure you have taken care of any business BEFORE you arrive. Be advised that the Roko Health Club will NOT let you use theirs, even in extremis. ( I had to buy a coffee AND a snack) Organisers might want to coinsider a row of Portaloos for next year !

2)  In a race  called the Towpath Ten with 30 miles of Thames riverbank to play on,.the two circuits of a playing field at the Start and the short section through Kew High Street dodging lamposts may come as a surprise...

3) despite the fact that >400 of you happen to be running West along a towpath ten feet wide do not expect cyclists, dogwalkers and joggers to give up the notion of strolling grimly EAST, just as they do every Sunday. 

That said, I got round in a not unreasonable time, the sun shone, it wasn't too hot and the marshals were all very cheerful.

Having read the reviews, everyone else seems to have had an UTTERLY LITERALLY AWESOME day

(so maybe I'm just a miserable old goat image  -  and had higher expectations  and a few more races to compare with?)

Anyone got the Race Results page to work ?

Roger (Old Goat)

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    There wasn't a tent, but at the end there were cups of water and cups of ale on offer. I thought it was pretty good tho image
    bit posh in West London for the likes of me mind
  • Roger 333Roger 333 ✭✭✭

Nothing is too posh for you Nessie!

very intrigued by one of the six reviews of this race - by Jason2.....

He has posted two reviews in his time on this board, curiously both of the Towpath Ten. No profile, no forum posts.

One says 'All good nothing bad' and the other says ' excellent race, shows how it should be done'.... image 

Now call me a cynical old goat but - not by any chance a member of the Race committe/a member of West 4 Harriers are you Jason ? How many other ten milers have you taken part in ?

is RW Race review section experiencing the notorious TripAdviser effect image

I've only been running road races  since 2000. In that time in addition to  a few longer races, including Halfs at Fleet,  Downton and the New Forest,   I've also taken part in five Great South Runs over the same distance. For those who don't know, it is run over flat urban course around Portsmouth in Hampshire . LINKY

I appreciate that  the Towpath Ten is in a different league (450 runners rather than 30,000! ) but if you think the organisers can rest content on their laurels......well a few tweaks may be required in my view.

Roger ( & out)

• Roger 333Roger 333 ✭✭✭
    Got the OJ, missed the ale...
  • not a member of West 4 harriers, like the course, appreciate the effective marshalling on the numerous t-junctions, pleased that you've run so many GSR's.
  • Roger 333Roger 333 ✭✭✭
    Fair enough - enjoy next year's race.