Why so few Saturday Races?

Why so few Saturday rather than Sunday races at the weekend?
While some of my fellow runners do work on Saturdays quite a number would like the option of more Saturday races. The Saturday choice seems to be disappearing. Even some Cross Country Races, traditionally held on Saturdays, are beginning to drift across to Sunday. With the working week become ever more stressful for many, a Saturday race is well placed to wash away the cares of the week and leave Sunday free for family times, church commitments or just "chilling out".
Am I a lone voice on this one?

Comments

• I reckon that more races should be held on Saturdays. That way you can do your race in the morning, go out Saturday night, have a few beers and not have to worry about getting up on time for a race on Sunday morning.
  • If you are really serious about your running then on Saturdays you should be getting the Walsh's on, or even spikes if you are really elite, and getting stuck into a local x-country league
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    My club's annual 10 mile road race was always on a Saturday until two years ago but we had noticed slowly declining numbers in the last few years. We took the decision to move it to a Sunday on a trial basis for a couple of years and hey presto we are up from about 320 runners to nearly 400 in both years. Proof of the pudding, but I suppose more and more people are working Saturdays these days I suppose.
  • Paul

There was a redent debate on this on the forum with quite a few of us prefer Saturdays (& don't want to do cross-country).

If you can get to Milton Keynes this Saturday there is the Wolverton 5 - 5 miles flat round a couple of lakes. There is a thread in Events but it drops quickly because so much goes on on this forum, I think there will be 5 or 6 forumites around for it.
  • Oh my God!

I couldn't agree more! I love running half-marathons but I also love goiong out and getting stupidly drunk. If I have a race on a Sunday I can't touch a drop all weeknd. Saturday races would allow m to get drunk on Saturday night, combining the best of both worlds.

I have always assumed the lack of Saturday races were due to the roads being busier and thus races would be more difficult to organise.