Bad Weather

I've got a long run planned today. In fact, I should have finished it by now, but it's pouring with rain, so I'm waiting for the weather to improve. If it doesn't, I don't fancy 2 hours of being drenched, so will just do 4 or 5 miles. In mitigation for my cowardliness, I only have a fleece to run in when the weather is not so good, so I'd get drenched within 5 minutes.

Whining aside, I wondered what your attitude is towards weather? How does it affect your training for running and anything else? Do you get on with it, or perhaps substitute something more indoorsy?

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

All you need is a decent gilet to keep your core warm-ish and dry-ish. The rest of you can get wet, it won't hurt and you won't get cold as long as you keep moving. You have no way of knowing what kind of conditions you'll have for a race so make a virtue of going out in the worst of the weather.

So basically - toughen up, princess!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

The last time I ditched a run it was because my Reynaud's syndrome was kicking up and my hands were in physical pain due to the cold.

Really, if you're planning a picnic or something, rain is a PITA, but otherwise there really can't be many excuses.  You get wet when you run anyway, assuming you sweat at all.  Whether you're out there for two hours or 30 mins, once you're wet you're wet.  You'll be deliberately splashing in puddles once you get into the swing of things.  Then you've got a nice shower to look forward to when you get back, plus the smugness that comes with knowing that you're not a wuss.

Don't run in a fleece, it'll get heavy and sodden in the rain.  Wear some thin base layers and maybe a windproof layer on top to keep out the chill.

MAN UP, GET RUNNING!

• Once out I find it enjoyable and take a slightly perverse pleasure from the looks I get when I run past people hurrying for cover. I think mentally they are really positive runs. 

• I must be a little strange as i quite like running in the rain. Takes my mind off everything else.

..... and as said best get used to it as what happens if come race day its pi$$ing it down??

• I'm on a rest day today *smug* image

I'm the same though - hate going out to run in the rain. Having said that if it starts raining half way through a run then I don't mind - it's the getting drenched before you've even got anywhere that I hate.

I did cross country with mu Athletics Club last night and although it stayed dry there was plenty of mud from rain earlier in the day and I will admit to deliberately splashing through some mud puddles for the sheer hell of it!
  • Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone. I really appreciate it. Does anyone have a recommendation for clothing? I have shorts & vest (shoes, obviously), but when it's colder it's out with the nasty fleece & Primark jogging bottoms (with elasticated bottoms..mmmm image ).
  • I always wear three quarter lengths whatever the weather - I can't handle jogging bottoms, and I'm not cruel enough to inflict me in shorts on the rest of the world.

When it's cold and wet I just wear a long sleeved top or base layer and a light shower proof running jacket with the sleeves zipped off - I find the sleeves on the waterproofs get in the way and cause me to over heat.

Just having the jacket over my torso at least keeps me dry-ish.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think when it comes to comfortable running in the rain, it's a matter of dressing to at least keep out the wind chill, whilst accepting the fact that you're gonna get wet.  So thin, light layers with something windproof over the top.  Unless it's really cold I'll wear shorts all year round, and maybe double up with some lycra under the normal running shorts.  Then it's one or two light technical layers, with something like this from Decathlon.  Pretty basic but it keeps the wind out.

You can spend silly money on waterproof gear but as I said, you get wet anyway from sweat, and something that's genuinely waterproof will just make you sweat more.  I'd spend good money on a heavier, waterproof jacket for something like trekking or skiing (Goretex, etc), but not for running.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I dislike running in the rain and will not do so if I can help it. Light drizzle is fine. No one really notices that but today it is heavy and it is cold and I will not run in it.
    Regardless of what you wear you will get cold, you will get wet. It effects everyone differently but I do not get warm when running. I have been running in the middle of summer in bright sunshine and still felt very cold. I wear a hat and gloves throughout the year.

I actually think that you are better off wearing less when it is this wet. A lightweight windproof jacket and a similar base layer. Ditch the fleece. I'm not sure why anyone would want one except for warming up and cooling down. It is just an extra thick layer that gets very wet then seems to cool you right down.

I don't like long bottoms either. 3/4 are good as they at least attempt to keep my knees warm. Tech fabrics do shed water a lot quicker than others.

I do have Raynauds and I know that it is particularly bad. White hands and feet and blue ears and earache. I really don't like running when every footfall is painfull.

• There are only 2 real problems with rain:

When it is combined with wind and cold, you can get hypothermia - however with current temperatures that is simply not an issue - so long as you keep moving you will be perfectly warm enough.

Your clothing gets heavy and wet, and can rub.

As a consequence, the key rule for me about clothing in the rain - less is more! Out at 6am this morning - l/s technical top, windproof gilet, shorts was plenty.

I'd never wear a fleece to run in, or wear a waterproof jacket - no matter what the claims about breathability, I don't believe there is one on the market that can cope with the amount of sweat generated by running in the temperatures and humidity in the UK. You'll be just as wet as if you hadn't worn one, but probably overheating too.
  • Obviously Raynauds is a special case, and so keeping warm in the rain and cold will be particularly an issue then.

For pretty much everyone else the above holds true.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

hypothermia is a risk in the current temperatures. I should know. Been hospitalised with hypothermia before now and it wasn't the coldest of days. If you are out in this weather hypothermia can be a result of exposure. Guess it depends on how long you are out for but my long runs can be up to 5hrs including cycling there and back.

My Raynauds kicks in when I get the milk out of the fridge.

• As I said, with Raynauds you are a special case, and aware of what the issues are for you.

However for most of the rest of us, so long as we are able to keep running, there is pretty much zero chance of hypothermia at the moment - in just a few days time thousands of people are going to be running around London, and most will be wearing shorts and T-shirt or vest.
  • I wear a pertex shell. It's waterproof in light rain and windproof. In heavier rain it keeps me dry for the first mile or so,  by which time I've warmed up a bit!