Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Hesienberg as John said the 3 main clubs are Brighton & Hove, Arena 80 and Brighton Phoenix - as a member of Phoenix i can vouch that it isn't just fast runners it also has a large and active triathlon section. Best bet might be to try a couple out before deciding which one to join - they all use Withdean track so pop along to one of the sessions there to meet some of the members.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise that the price of entry to the BM went up in stages - I'm glad I didn't hesitate to book! It's expensive enough as it is.

I've also booked a hotel for a couple of nights, as I know I'll have to do it sooner or later. I've gone for the Travelodge at Preston Park because it looks well placed for the start line. The wife will have to carry me back after the finish image Though it's more expensive, I've booked the flexible rate so I get refunded if I cancel, because a lot can happen in a year.

I can't believe I'm looking forward to next year's marathon before I've even run this year's image
  • you've managed to book a travelodge already Tenjiso?? i'm impressed lol,
    i looked yesterday and it didnt seem to go through to april next year, mind you I will probably leave it a little bit as this year i booked a travelodge for the week on the sales that they have and paid from £10 to £19 a night for a room, so wont rush in just yet lol

The travelodge tho for Preston Park is ideally placed it is right opposite the park

there are a few hotels along that street ( 2 years ago i stayed at the Preston Park Hotel which again is just up the road )
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    HMUK - The dates were greyed-out in the calendar boxes on the web page, but I typed the dates I wanted in directly and it accepted them no problem.

The sales have real bargains, but I made the mistake of waiting to see if I could get a deal at the Stratford Travelodge one year, and ended up not booking - because the room prices went through the roof and they were never on sale for the marathon weekend. It's like they somehow knew... the ********s!
  • My expo code isn't working. Does anyone know if the expo code entitles you to an early bird price? I didn't get the chance to sign up yesterday and I was told it was £45 at the stall.

I'll be a bit annoyed if I have missed out on that price despite pre-registering.

• Ran this years race my first marathon 5hrs 29mins, got the bug and signed up for next years.

Ian

• Brighton 2012 was my first marathon and despite being plagued with injury and having a lot to learn about training properly for a marathon I'm signed up for 2013. I've got 4 london rejections so might get a place this year but will defer if I do!!

• Can anyone suggest any good books on marathon training. Not just training plans but goes into things a little bit more in depth ?
  • John and Moolash - Thanks will look into Phoenix (once my legs start working again) as it was recommended to me by another runner.
  • Stig

The best three I have read are :

P & D Advanced Marathon Training

Hal Higdon - Marathon

Lore of Running by?   This last one goes into the physiology as well training and plans.

• Lore of Running is by Prof Tim Noakes. It´s really the reference bible to a lot of top athletes.

• + 1 for the Lore of Running: incredible detail on all sorts of information. Not just about marathon running, but leaning towards distance running generally.

On another topic, does anyone happen to know how many finished the marathon on Sunday?

• Franners - not sure if this is what you meant, but the VLM have abandoned the policy of a guaranteed entry if you have so many rejections. Stick with Brighton, I say!
  • Thanks for those i'll take a look
  • Hello all

Some familiar names on here!

I have registered for Brighton 2013 and also booked Travel Lodge (with the canellation option)! Not done Brighton before, about to do my 4th VLM...yikes!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    MWW image Here we go again, before we've even gone... if you see what I mean.
  • Afternoon all

have been around the shops this morning and while out spotted a 1 running shop and a heath shop that sold gels individually so went in and bought 3 or 4 different types and a couple of favours of each for the Wife  and daughter to try as they have never used them before  hopefully there find one that works for them

• Have now got my place for next year and also booked Travelodge.
    Been to London today to collect number for Sunday, spent alot of money on my 'hobby' today!
  • Good luck for Sunday, Charlotte D.
  • Fortysomething - thankyou, really looking forward to it.
  • Charlotte good luck for Sunday

And to anyone else that is running my your leg be swift and your times be good but above all enjoy the day

must have another go at the ballot again this year when dose it open

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Following booking my place for next year yesterday, I have also booked the Preston Park Travelodge. So thanks for the tip earlier in this thread on how to select the dates into next year on their website!

• Hi there! I too have booked my place to run in 2013. Did 4 hours and 10 mins for the last one. So hopefully can sneak a sub 4 next time. Really impressed with most of the forum members times and how well they did on the day; especially Toby3. I stayed at the Holiday Inn along the seafront which to be honest wasn't great. Some of the rooms are dirty and the hotel needs updating urgently. Being along the front is great for most things except the start of the race.

Anyway, just thought I would say hi, and hopefully this forum can motivate us all to keep plodding the streets.

• VLM ballot opens 30th April. Will definitely give it a go but i don't hold out any hope!
  • gemgemx thanks for that
  • ooh thanks for letting me know about the ballot, i will enter the ballot again but dont hold out any hope either,

I am running VLM on sunday but in a charity place Charlotte are you charity place or ballot/club place, what colour start are you?

I am toying with booking the travelodge but no idea who will be with me next year or not but my friend also lives 40mins away who i stayed with this year, i drove in to Preston Park and it was easy parking up i have to say, mmmmmm do i spend more on travelodge or get free accommodation, guess i have a few months to consider my options lol

tbh, i guess i have to concentrate on VLM now dont I

not really got into any of the VLM threads tho like the Brighton ( or the Liverpool marathon threads were good on here ) as I think there are soooooooooo many running it, i only have to let a day lapse and i'm about 10pages behind so didnt give me chance to catch up properly with people
  • I am a new poster to this forum.  Having gone and done something daft at the expo and pre-registered for 2013 to keep Snowmaiden company.  The longest race I have ever run before this is the Bristol 10K, although I have run/walked it for the last four years.

We are currently still in Brighton - as my husband (Toby 3) ran Brighton Marathon last Sunday and we are enjoying a holiday by the sea - as the closest seaside to us is Weston super Mare where there is never much sea to see.

• Welcome poohbear.... If you can't beat them join them image

Good luck with training ..
  • Hello poohbear. Welcome to the thread and well done for signing up. My wife had done the same. So she's in the same boat as you. Good luck with your training and most of all enjoy it image
  • I just tried to check availability at the Hilton, but it says none. I hope this is because the marathon people have booked it all out for a group rate, and that it's not actually booked yet. I was really pleased with our stay there. Breakfast from 5:30 - we got to sit next to the elites; quiet room on the inside of the hotel where we weren't disturbed at all, and hobbling distance of the finish. It was above average in price, but worth it I thought.