I got my medal thank you!!!

Comments

• And life was beautiful. And Jesus.....I mean Dean did say well done to his followers and did not pour scorn upon them but praised them for their achievements.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Bear B.Hind wrote (see)
    Sussex Runner - how many times have you marshaled a marathon - if marshaled at all?  I've done it a couple of times - once was  the Moon Walk so I expected to be hanging around for 8 or more hours.  Waiting for the slowbees is part of the package and they are usually so grateful it makes it all worth while.  Stop shedding your crocodile tears and pretending a concern I doubt you really feel.

BBH, if you marshal moonWALK the clue is in the title, you know full well that people are going to be walking for hours!

I've marshalled marathons, and enjoyed it.  Less so when it's pouring with rain, or freezing cold, and you've been out there for six hours.  At that point I really wanted to go home.  Waiting for the walkers in that situation might put people off marshalling again, and most races are in dire need of marshals.

There are long distance walking events specifically for those who want to take their time.

• Amen to that Nam. You have the intelligence to understand this thread. I think sometimes people just Skip through the posts and post some patronising sermon. I wish people would think before they slam(me)
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Nam wrote (see)

I think people are talking cross-purposes here.

I don't think anyone wants to take anything away from the OPs eventual achievement of completeing her mara, regardless of time.

I think the issue was her tone and attitude in her opening post, having previously asked for advice regarding how well prepared she is, having run no further than 11 miles.

Was it outrageous for Cougie to put a "LOL" and pointing out that she's a bit scuppered with that level of training?  I think not.

Ultimately it was him who made the helpful suggestion of her adopting a run-walk strategy on a 'just get round' basis, which appears to be exactly what she did in the end.

So if anything, maybe a thank you and apology is in order, rather than sticking up two fingers at the person who tried to assist by responding to your initial thread.

+1 Nam.
  • Great posts Emmy,Buddha,Wilkie and Nam. I feel like the cavalry just arrived. (Hope I'm not being too patronising)
  • agree with Nam.......

the majority of people on here respect and support peoples effort whatever the speed........if they put the effort in then they get the praise.....

but if you want people not to give advice then you have to state that all you want is false encouragement......

• I still think that NLR can be too blunt sometimes.......but this is an open forum and some people say it as they see it......

that is to be expected on an internet forum.....as long as they stay within the accepted boundaries of nastyiness or bullying
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Sussex Runner. I posted this on her other thread:

Emmy_bug wrote (see)

Sally - There's lots of people on this forum who aren't sub 4 or 5 hours. That do implement a run/walk strategy but in your updated post you came across as saying a big "F*** you" to those who were trying to offer support and advice.

It's nothing about you being a newbie/jogger/runner - it's about simple respect of others.

Everyone who completes a marathon- should be congratulated. I completely agree. Not everyone can do the full 26.2 miles - but you need to realise how your comment could have come across; which is why I think you've got a bit of stick. I'm not a fast runner (far from it) but I realise that most of the "experts" on here have several thousand miles more of experience than me and are worth listening to.

• Wilkie - I was only giving that as an illustration.  I have also marshalled a marathon where I had to stand in a bitter wind for 7+ hours.  Still happy to do it.

There are indeed walking specific events, but they tend to be cross country, self navigating or charity related with minimum donations expected.  It is up to the organisers to set time limits for events.  They can set a time that ensures that participants keep up a minimum pace that demands they run most, if not all the way, or, like London and a couple of others they have a very generous cut off which will accommodate those who will include those who will walk a larger proportion of the course.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
     I feel like the cavalry just arrived.

Isn't it cheating to do it on horse back ?

• Nice on Dave!

It strikes me Emmy that because someone mentioned that it was a walk and not a run, that means we are belittling people, deriding them,bullying them and jeering at people pushing oxygen canisters round. Talk about reading between the lines!

I think that the original pre marathon post was only responded too by myself and Cougie. Poor Cougie who offered sound advice has more reason to feel offended(hat to use that word) than me. I think that most people didn't respond because they just thought to themselves "your'e screwed". Unfortunately my "Forum Tourettes" made me actually say it. I will learn one day.
  • Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
     I feel like the cavalry just arrived.

Isn't it cheating to do it on horse back ?

And if you do the wrong race, when you fall over you get shot in the head!  image
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
    "Half the population in this country has a BMi of over 30" and I assume your point there is that people with BMI's over 30 aren't runners and are just fat couch potatoes heading towards a slow coronary death?? errm - I suggest you amend your conceptions then - there are many of us with BMIs over 30 due to a previous sporting heritage such as rugby, rowing, contact sports of many types who run marathons - myself included with a BMI that's been hovering around 33 for the last 10 years despite 21 marathons (PB sub 4), 5 Ironman finishes and countless other races under my admittedly ample belt. I was a rugby player. we are big by nature. but that doesn't stop us doing marathons etc. anyway - I'll let the arguments as to whether a 6:30 marathon is an achievement or not continue now I've made that point

BMI is a popular measure by which health professionals in this country measure obesity. The BMI scale deems individuals with a BMI of over 30 to be obese. I didn't say thay everybody with a BMI of 30+ is a "fat couch potato", nor did I imply it. There are of course many exceptions to the rule and some well known limitations to the BMI scale as a true measure of an individuals healthy weight range. I know many extremely fit people that, like you FB, have higher BMIs than 30.

My point was that as runners it would be good if we could get behind people who want to get out and exercise and be healthy, irrespective of how quick or slow they are in covering any given distance.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Sussex Runner - I may be going again the grain here - but why should you "learn". You're blunt, honest and don't mix words; this is an open forum where everyone has the right to be themselves and give their opinion. As long as you're keeping within forum rules (no bullying, respectful etc) then it's free speech isn't it?

I agree with Seren - if you're not looking for "honest real advice" then put on your post: "False encouragement required".

• but letting people think that its easy to go out and run a marathon when they haven't done the training is also dangerous for health...its a distance to be respected....whatever your speed.......and the solution offered to avoid illness or injury on the day was to run/ walk it.which was great advice...the best advice would be not to do it and defer and train properely next year.....but we all know that people will not listen to that advice....

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Bear B.Hind wrote (see)

Wilkie - I was only giving that as an illustration.  I have also marshalled a marathon where I had to stand in a bitter wind for 7+ hours.  Still happy to do it.

That's great, but not everyone is happy to do it.  Talk to any marathon (or indeed any distance) race organiser, and one of the biggest problems they have is getting people to marshal.

Many will agree only if they are placed at early marshal points, and it's the same handful each time who are willing (or pursuaded) to be near the finish.

One highly respected marathon has to ask other clubs if they can provide marshals - and when my club offered, guess where our members got placed?

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Nice on Dave! It strikes me Emmy that because someone mentioned that it was a walk and not a run, that means we are belittling people, deriding them,bullying them and jeering at people pushing oxygen canisters round. Talk about reading between the lines! I think that the original pre marathon post was only responded too by myself and Cougie. Poor Cougie who offered sound advice has more reason to feel offended(hat to use that word) than me. I think that most people didn't respond because they just thought to themselves "your'e screwed". Unfortunately my "Forum Tourettes" made me actually say it. I will learn one day.

But you do come across, to me at least, as being a bit belittling. Maybe it's just the way your tone comes across in writing. Maybe you meant "you're screwed" as a bit of light banter, but to the OP it wasn't taken that way. And why are you so hung up on it not being a walking race? It's not relevant. If a competitor finishes the race before they are asked by the organisers to retire than isn't that legitimate under the race rules? That's why races have cut-off times isn't it? You have decided arbitrarily that someone completing a marathon in 6.30 must have walked the whole way round and that person is therefore in your view not entitled to participate. What about people who run 6 hours, or 5.30 hours? Are they allowed in? Where do you draw the line?

• As Dave says.....errrr did you read what I wrote. I wish more people would before they start using words like belittle and humiliate. Such emotive terms.

• Next time instead of "you're screwed!" you could say something like "perhaps you've put yourself at a slight disadvantage?"  imageimage
  • anyone who takes more than 6 hours for a marathon should be shot ???
  • Maybe I would come across better with Bubbles as my avatar.

Where would I draw the line?.........that a whole new thread. Or a old one. I'm sure it has been covered. I'm not reopening that old can of worms.
  • Dave you might as well say that. Clearly that is how some people will interperet what you say on here.
  • Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    anyone who takes more than 6 hours for a marathon should be shot ???
    LOL it was tongue in cheek reference to horses and the Grand National... but... I guess it might focus the mind... image
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Not a walking race then, I've taken part in quite a few marathons and stopped and walked in all of them, even the one's in the 2:40's.
    20 years ago I blew up in a half marathon at Gosport. I walked/ran and salvaged a sub 80 minutes out of this. However, just as I crossed the finish line, this guy who was just behind me went absolutely ape at me screaming that you are supposed to be running not walking. He was immediately set upon by other finishers who rather bluntly asked what his problem was/ none of your f...ing business etc. He came over a few minutes later and apologised. Lying through my teeth I calmly explained that I was in fact leading the race with a 2 minute lead until I pulled a hamstring at 11 miles. Oh to see em wriggle.

🙂

• I've run plenty of marathons and seen plenty of people walking. Plenty of people on for sub 3 hours walking too. I have never heard anyone shouting abuse at anyone. Maybe it's just a Gosport thing.
  • Ric F.I'm a bit confused.....as you race with a walk strategy and are successful with it......why were you embarrassed by it at the finish and feel the need to lie to the guy to cover up the truth...

surely just explaining that you race your race the way that you believe gets you over the finish line quicker.....and that was quicker than his time.so maybe he should look at his own training.......would have been more satisfying than covering up your own beliefs and methods
  • I think Rik's post was as honest as a Lib Dem manifesto. Maybe even, dare I say, tongue in cheek.
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭
    Blimey, we have all blown up and walked in a race - I remember leading the Cabbage Patch 10 miles with Steve Brace in 1990, he went on to run 48 minutes something and I didn't run 48 minutes, or anything like