Edinburgh marathoners past and present

Comments

• Just popped onto the manchester marathon thread and have to say it is one of the dullest forums I have ever seen.  Waded through 4 pages and every single post was about running. image  I think In will just stay in wor hoose from now on. image
  • Am I ever going to grow up and not have the sense of humour of a 15 year old. image

I know fine well that a man I overheard had a housing issue but I (and I emphasise the term I as nobody else seemed to laugh) couldn't help but crack up when a man at the counter replied to the question about how he was today with the answer "I'm having a great morning. I've got a wee semi!!!!" It destroyed me for a good few minutes and I laughed about it all the way home in the car. It was FAFL image

Please tell me that someone else would have laughed too. image

P.s. Listening to Innuendo bingo with scott mills and beccy is the highlight of my commute to work image
  • I totally would have laughed too Can!!!! image
    Happy Friday to you!  Just thought I'd pop in for a wee look!  You made me feel guilty last night on FB! image

xx

• Hiya jac. imageimageimageimageimage

Its fair to say you haven't missed much in here Jac.  Rather embarassingly my vitual hoose is a pretty good refelction of my life in general.  I live on my own and am lucky if someone else pops in once a week or so lol image

I'm off today and am trying to work out if its a run outside or a trip to the gym. The forecastv says it is going to crash down any time now image

Thank you for reassuring me that I am not the only big kid left in the world jac.  It was very funny he he he image

• Thank you BBC for saving me from a drenching and jac for stopping me from going out 15 mins earlier because I was posting on tinternet image
  • So Can, was it the gym for a dreadmill session? 
    I went to the gym last night too - did weights for the first time in ages.  Was the only woman in the weights section and I think a wee old man wanted to save me as he asked me if I was lost! image  Did a 6 mile run this morning bright and early  - t'was good.  Am tired now though image

Have you been watching the footy today?  I see my team won! image  Whoop! 

• I went to the gym and I think my bottle finally went yeaterday as I was completely blown after little more than an hour.  I was doing so well in my training until everybody started talking about the London marathon and Manchester started to loom over the horizon.  All the demons are coming out to play again.  Stomach churning, not sleeping well and ran shockingly yesterday.  I know it is all in my head but I'm struggling again to get my head round running any race further than 10 miles. image

I really don't see the point of weights and haven't really bothered with them recently.  After years of lifting them I don't look any stronger than I did when I didn't lift them and am certainly no faster a runner.  I'm also a bit intimidated going into a weight section filled with body builders and rugby types when I go in and start lifting some really girly ones.  I've just tried to use what little time I have to exercise running.  It seemed to be working for a while until me napper turned to mince. image

Was lucky enough to be working today and miss Dundee having yet another shocker.  Is it not the end of the season yet?????? image

• Evening! image

How goes it?
    I ran my very first ever mile time trial tonight!  Was utterly brickng it beforehand, but needn't have worried - I'm still alive!  I think I ran 7:57 although didn't stop my watch on the line (I always forget).  Will wait for official times, but to be honest I'm quite happy with that!  I didn't know I had a sub-8 minute mile in me image

No Can, unfortunately the season isn't over yet!  And Chelsea are playing Barca tonight - I don't like Chelsea but would like to see them do well.  They're hanging on in there - with 10 men thanks to that nonce of a captain of theirs, twat that he is - so I hope we see a result for them.

How's your head tonight?  Are you any more positive and confident about Manchester?  Have you had a better run this week?

Jac image

• Jac have I not seen you in the book with the faces tonight.  You don't half get about you. image

I really enjoyed the Chelsea game.  Not a Barca fan for two reasons 1. I hate all that tippy tappy sh!te and the sqeeling, diving and bleating associated with them and 2. the underlying reason that I really dislike them is that they lost THAT Uefa cup quarter final tie back in 1988 which as the only Dundee fan in my whole year of winning team supporters Barcelona and Terry Venables in particular helped to ruin my childhood.   Mental scars take a long time to heal. image

I know where John Terry got his inspiration for tonights game although I think Sanchez went down a bit more dramatically than Bishop Brannan. image

I've calmed myself down a bit about Manchester on sunday. The London marathon in a strange way sort of settled me a bit by seeing some fab runs by folk like Smiffie, Bumper and Phwoar (Kiwi I won't add you to that list as I have a feeling you will be a bit pissed off.  Did you just run out of steam or did you break on the way round. See me is hard core expert stalker and can stalk more than one person these days. Even MI5 and Yoda come to me for advice!!!!!).  It doesn't look like it is going to be hot which is almost my biggest worry but it will be windy and not really the way you would want it as it looks like being in my face for the 2nd half. I think I have a game plan I will just have to wait and see if my body and head can follow it. image

• All the best for Manchester Caniggia.  I'm sure your body can cope.  You just need to convince your head that it can and all will be well.  I'm looking forward to hearing how it went.  I've got the Fling on Saturday so that will keep me out of mischief. 

• I know I said in jest I wanted rain and wind but not that much wind and rain. It looks like being of biblical proportions image. 25mph wind into the driving rain for the last 8 miles sounds braw image

Good luck with your fling tomorrow. Hope you have time to fit a run in too image
  • 13.03 for me.  How was manchester?  Not too hot for you?

• 13 hours ouch. That's not a fling that's a long term relationship image

Well done. Hope you had better weather than we had down here it was pretty grim in Manchester. Never been so glad to find a radiator in my life after the run!!!!!

I ran fab though. 3:09 was my 2nd fastest marathon ever and my fastest by a loooooooong way since 2008. Really pleased image. The rain meister strikes again rohaha!!!!! image
  • I'm so pleased for you.  You deserve a good result to match your good training
  • Afternoon. Have set myself up for another rejection in October by entering the London 2013 ballot. I note that they did remove £32 from my account though which is a bit naughty if you ask me....
  • Markk I've somehow managed to very luckily end up with a good for age time for London by the looks of things.  After years of not even thinking I could get anywhere near 3h for some reason they have changed the entry criteria to sub 3:10 for under 40 year old blokes which I had no clue about until after the race on sunday.  I've managed to sneak in with 45s to spare. imageimage

• Are you impressed folk I've been re-decorating wor hoose whilst I have been on holiday. image

Yeehaa the footie season is over for another year.  That my friends was absolutely pish yeat again this season.  I can now do fun things every other Saturday when I'm not working that will cost me less cash and be much more entertaining between now and the start of August.  imageimageimage

Posted my Good For Age request to the London marathon last night.  Never thought I'd be writing one of those letters any time in my lifetime. I kind of feel like I've cheeted a bit to get in seeing as they just gave me an extra 10 minutes to qualify compared to yesteryear.  They must have just felt sorry for me. image  Do you think any non running folk will remember me saying I wasn't good enough to run sub 3h to qualify? image

• OOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSS

I seem to have entered the Goofy challenge. image

• This time in 8 months I'll be at Mickey and Minnie's house!!!!! image

Hope my legs will be OK by then they are really not happy since that marathon.  Body really creaking at the moment.  Tried a 10k race yesterday and felt like a sack of spuds.  Think being rag dolled all around the reservoir didn't help much or the fact it was all on grass and muddy trails.  Picked the trail shoes for grip when I really needed a bit more bounce. Cobbled my way round in 42 mins and was 21st home out of 250ish bodies which I suppose wasn't too bad seeing I couldn't run in a straight line for most of it.  At one point the wind was sort of coming from the direction of diagonally behind my left shoulder and it blew me completely off the path and down the grass bank.  I really need to eat more to weigh me down as my skinny body was really struggling to go in the direction I was intending. image

• Bracing myself for the dullest bank holiday weekend EVER!!!!! All the fun things I had planned have gone a bit tits up so it looks like all the sh!te things I have to do will be getting done instead.  My frenzy of excitement has officially not been whipped image

• Hello folks, been quite a while since i was in here, hope you are all doing well.

I ran Edinburgh again on Sunday, why oh why is it always hot when i do that marathon. I was planning on Sub 3.30 but the heat got to me and i made it round in 3.57.Under the circumstances i'm  fairly happy with that, i know i dont cope well in the sun and due to family commitments training was not as good as it should have been.

Next on the agenda is the Stockhom Jubilee Marathon on 14th July, which again has the potential to be another hot and sunny race so think it may be Loch Ness the scene of all my best marathon times before i get a new PB.

Can i'm over in Stockhom from Thursday evening till the Sunday afternoon, flying KLM via Amsterdam both ways. I'll pop in here closer to the time and see if we can get some plans sorted.

I'm not even going to mention football while i'm here, it's turning in to a saga with no sign of it ending soon!

• Welcome home Trimm Dich nice to see you back image

So good to here that there is another runner on this planet who can run in a cannigiaesque manner in the sunshine. I think I still hold the record for how to go into maximal meltdown in the sunshine though. You are still just an amature as you only missed your target time by about 30 minutesimage

Have to say that one of us trying stalk home in july seems like stupidity. Both of us trying it is just crass stupidity image. Am I alone in thinking the 25.2 mile option will be more than enough rather than the fun extra mile at the finish if anyone fancies it!!!!

You seem to be going a bit of a trip to get there. I am going thursday to monday from edinburgh. I'm going out with SAS to proper stalk home and home with ryanair from that weird airport that is not remotely close to the home of stalking. Actually now I think of it schipol may be closer to stalk home than the airport I'm flying home from!!!! Did you struggle to find a cheap hotel. The one I stayed in last time was about twice the price for no apparent reason along with the ones you recommended. I've ended up booking some strange hotel boat bobbing about off gamla stan. I hope its well tethered image

Keep popping in I'm in on my own most nights lol. If you hang about pusbook as its known in beanoland you can find me pretty easily by searching michael aird carnoustie. Once you find my proflie you can find most of the other like kiwi, jac, dcb, smiffie, amber, bedhaped and a good few more folk that used to hang about in here in the days of yore.

See ya aboot image
  • Oh dear TD we look like we have backed the wrong horse this year.  The real stalk home marathon has just been run in 4C of pissing rain.  We would have ran like a dream today.  I've asked Soph if she meets Thor or any of the norse gods that works in the weather department to request the same again for the 14th July!!!!

• Evening all. Thought I would put in an appearance for the first time in ages. Just back  into hitting the road again for the first time this week since London.

• Welcome back Mr Kiwi,

That must have been some cramp you had if it has kept you off the road for six weeks.  You should have got someone to push your toes back and had a good stretch!!!!!

How was the rugby at the milleneum dome.  Did the ball keep hitting the roof or was it OK seeing it was the barbarians and they keep the ball in hand a bit more. image

• Hi Caniggia. It was Twickenham we went to v England. It was great fun.Of course I was supporting the BAA BAA,s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Typical Barbarians, a scratch side that are not used to playing together. Get well beaten, but still score points. From a Kiwi point of view the ex AllBlacks did most of the damage. Two tries for Mils Muliaina and World Cup winning hero Stephen Donald kicked points too. A good day out. I am just lucky I have a daughter who likes Cricket and Rugby.

She thinks footballers are a bunch of prima donnas and overpaid poofs. She thinks its funny whenever Ipswich get stuffed !!!!!

• Morning all! After the weekends trot up the West Highland Way I can now manage stairs again. It may be a while until my body forgives me for making it do 95 miles in the worst conditions in 29 hours but I can live with that lol.

The rain cost me 90 mins on Conic Hill and my support "runner" didn't do any running opting to walk the last 20 miles with me instead of kicking my arse in to a light run! Lessons learnt for next year.....did I just say that?
  • It's looking a bit deserted in here these days. After what must be a year in running wilderness I've refound my enthusiasm and thought why not spend the afternoon on here rather than working. Is there anybody out there...

• I'm here greg image

Just recharging my batteries after the stalk home jubilee marathon last saturday. Haven't been in here much myself as the pointlessness of posting things that only I was ever going to read all seemed to get a bit pointless!!!! In the end I bit the bullet and was dragged kicking and screaming to the book with the faces in it where all the others have gone. Feel free to join us all in there as it is a bit of a lonely place to hang about in here these days image

But anyhoooooo how have you been, what have you been up to, what's lit your metaphorical running fire again and what are you running?????

That answer should frivollously waste a few mins of your afternoon ;-p
  • Clyde Stride ultra this weekend......