Realistic targets for a 40 something

Comments

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    It can be a bit tricky as your pace will improve as you get fitter. Listen to your body during running and after and if you are getting twinges or niggles ease off. Of course if you are training for a race you need to learn to run an even pace the whole way but this doesn't mean every run should be like this. I will run at times based on feel or perceived effort as I enjoy that a lot more and it's supposed to be fun right!
  • Jake, half is tomorrow. Will report back sometime. Looking good though.

Congrats on the sub 1hr 10k.

Re: the garmin fixation, I've been there. You go out and look at your watch like you're Gollum with the ring. I think it can ultimately be dangerous... Focus on time your feet for long runs, not pace. Stick your garmin in your pocket sometimes even... Then just run comfortable. Pushing to go faster every time isn't good or enjoyable.

Joining a running club would be great since you can get the speed & interval sessions in but be careful since they are the most stressful on your body. Pick the runs that work for you. Dont neglect the gym work, weights or circuits to build & strengthen your core & legs.

Oh I'd recommend you do a mix of runs, one above 10k gradually, short, medium, and long has worked for me always regardless of distance I'm going for.
  • questforspeed wrote (see)

BUT I am not that build - 6 foot 1 and nearly 14 stone, and I look quite lean at that weight.  I'm a mesomorph with a deep chest, very broad shoulders and big old femurs that pack on muscle very easily, even without looking at weights.

Lucky git... some of us have to work for our muscles, y'know. image  Yep - I.... Am.... An.... Ectomorph.   These names do make us sound like some sort of alien, don't they?  I have packed on a little muscle mass (and I mean a little) over the past few months, but I had to work damn hard for it.  People who know me have commented that it looks like I've been working out, so I guess I'm doing something right. image

Anyway, best of luck whatever your goals and/or body shape. image

• lol, sorry Fit-Running-Cat, this running has affected my ability to add up properly! Best of luck, you sound upbeat image

The idea of putting the watch into my pocket is a good one, it is definitely preventing me from getting into a comfortable pace throughout my longer runs. Recently I have become totally engrossed in getting sub 2 hours for Chester HM May 15th. Going to forget about times for a couple of weeks and do some long runs at easy conversational pace.

As for running clubs there are lots to chose from around me but the one that appeals most is Rothwell Harriers; http://www.rothwellharriers.org.uk/. A longer drive for me to get there but the setup sounds like my cup of tea.

Finally, apologies for posting so much, probably still in the honeymoon period and cannot stop thinking/ chatting about running!!
  • If you're doing a half, then definitely get time on feet, and move up to 8-10 miles long, 5-6 medium and some fast 3-4s.. Joining a running club will make the latter easy doing intervals & hills.

And yes, upbeat. Feeling a 12 on the awesomeness scale of 1-10 image
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    I've got my next HM coming up in 2 weeks. I pushed a bit harder on a tempo run in the week and did 5 miles mid run at 6:55 pace. I was surprised how comfortable I felt. I'm looking at running the race at about 7:10min/mile pace - the tempo run gave me a lot more confidence.

I'm targeting a marathon in June. Did a 20 mile long run today. The 42 year old engine performed well, but the chassis is a bit creaky now.
  • Andrew on the long run you dont have to go as fast... its more time on feet and aerobic.

and as you go faster overall, in more sessions, the more you need a sports massage..

I had one this week as I started tapering.

and if you can do 5 x 6:55, surely you can go a lot faster than 7:10 pace.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Yes, I took the long run nice and slow - just enjoyed the scenery along the Thames. Apart from the last mile it felt.nice and easy - i have a killer hill in the last mile from home!

I've run a lot faster on intervals. I will do another speed session in the week and decide what to aim for. 5 weeks ago i was aiming at 8:20 pace for the HM. How things have changed
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Well I surprised myself and fiinished Reading HM in sub 1:29. I managed to maintain a fairly even pace. Those tempo runs and intervals , plus the longer slow stuff really seemed to pay off. Again cardiowise I felt comfortable. I think I was running at the limits of my muscles as I was feeling strains in a couple of places towards the end. I guess this is partly down to age, and limited training since starting at the end of January. Introducing speed on the midweek runs is very recent - introducing it slowly for new runners like myself is key, as 40+ year old muscles take a little more recovery time.
  • (Not been receiving notifications for threads for some reason image )

That is a stupendous first HM time, Andrew. Max respect, incredible in fact! Would be interested to know your next targets and will be watching with interest image

Hope Fit-Running Cat is ok?

Since last posting, have had two runs with Rothwell Harriers in Leeds, great friendly club, looking forward to getting involved with the speed sessions in addition to the social run.

Did 19km / 11.81mi in 1:55:10, this morning, more importantly for me, never felt a single twinge or semblance of discomfort other than aching muscles near the end. This followed some serious knee pain following a tough week of training so I took two days off, seemed to work like magic.

Bought some proper socks (should have done this ages ago) and a water bottle holder (seems necessary with long runs in the sun). Both items made this mornings run so much more enjoyable tbh.

Hope all of you are staying injury free and enjoying your training in this spring sunshine, and are on target for whatever races you have upcoming.

• Hey Jake... any progress on your training. This is an interesting thread... I'd be interested in how you are getting on. I am 46 and have been lowering my half marathon times gradually over the last 4 years... from about 2.25 to 2.04... just can't quite get under 2 hours.

Be interested to know how things are going for you?
  • JamesBJamesB ✭✭✭
    Hey Jake, I think I have similiar targets to yours !
    I'm 10 years younger, just a smidgen under 6'1, but carry more weight. 14 stone 8. Did a 10k in 52:38 so I think my target for the half mara is v similiar to yours image
  • Forgot about this thread Jake

Sorry image

Well hows it going this running at 40 lark?

Want more motivation?

10k race last Sunday morning 39:21

I was beaten by a 38 year old,( tall bloke) a 22 year old, 29 year old ( rather tall, big bloke) and a 42 year old respectively

Age and size pah.

Buggers still beat meimage

• Great to hear from you guys who are proving that age is only a number image

Have been really happy with my training until going on holiday for 10 days, not ideal timing! Managed two 10k runs along the seafront in Ibiza , two lovely routes. Home on Weds, and had a very lazy 60 minute 10k last night in the rain, it was bliss image

Can do 55 min 10km in training as more or less standard (easy routes, no big hills). Have been to one speed session and two social runs with the running club, this is really good as the pace is generally stronger than my normal training.

Absolutely desperate to get sub two hours for Chester half, will be living like a zen master between now and May 13th.

Weight has started to look after itself, apart from putting a few pounds on over the holiday (bad), had hit my lowest weight for a decade (+/-) pre holiday.

Good luck all with your training and races.
  • Thanks for the update Jake. I ran last night as well... just after the rain had finally stopped in Leeds... image. I do like nice cool conditions for running.

So May 13th... not long to go now... how do you feel about your chances of breaking 2 hours? Is your training on schedule? Have your long runs given you the confidence that it's doable? Any secrets please pass it on as I am desperate to break 2 hours in June...
  • madmickiemadmickie ✭✭✭
    McMillan pace calculator suggest you need to be doing 54min 10ks to hit 2hrs for HM - it assumes that you are doing the HM training tho! What sort of distances are you doing apart from your 10ks?
  • I was always doing under 54 mins for 10km.... for some reason it still never got me under 2 hours... and when you think about it, 54 mins is 9min mile pace for 10km roughly... and to break 2 hours you need to be doing 9min mile pace for 13.1 miles... I'm doing around 50 to 52 mins for 10km in training... so will see if that helps...
  • LeedsNick, honestly don't feel qualified to pass on any tips. I will be totally alcohol free, totally junk food free and hoping to do min 30 miles per week until slowing down. Will probably know in my heart of hearts by next weekend if < 2:00 is achievable.

madmickie, my last long run before holiday was 19km in 1:55:10.85 . Wanted to do 13 miles this week having read a training plan that really appealed but seems not much talked about. The guy suggests doing in excess of your final race distance, up to 16 miles for hm. Speed session with the running club feels really beneficial, although I am with the girls atm!

My next few weeks until week before HM:
    Sun: LR 13m, then 15m next week.
    Mon: 6.2m
    Tue: Speed (whatever is on at the club), with run to/from canal = 5/6m
    Wed: club social run (approx 6m at decent pace (with stops))
    Thu: day off
    Fri: Hills (need more of this, may do at gym as we have no local hills)
    Sat: 3.1m, possibly one track speed session.

Not an orthodox plan, holiday and another unavoidable interference meant following a strict HM plan was not practical.
  • ^They all sound good tips to me Jake! I like your weekly schedule. I have never been able to run more than 3 or 4x per week as my legs just can never handle it. I always need a rest day between runs even if a short one miler!

You sound like you are going to be close... you'll feel really confident if your long training runs around the 13 mile distance provide you with enough confidence that you can achieve the 9 min mile pace on the day... good luck! I shall be eagerly watching your progress. My next half isn't till June...
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Hi Jake

Seems like a decent plan to me. Its unrealistic to have a rigid plan that you try to fit the rest of your life around. I'm constantly juggling around work, home, small niggles that rise etc.
    Have you found any outdoor hill sessions to do, or are you using the treadmill for this. I have been trying to build in some hill sessions in my plan, but my local area is not the best. I have one road that is 2 mins bottom to top that I have done some hill intervals. I'd much prefer an undulating / hilly loop but that would need the car and extra time out. i may also give the dreadmill a try for some hill running.

Whats the profile of your HM like. Reading for me was fairly flat, with a couple of ups and downs

I also did a 15 mile long run prior to Reading. I'd do it again when I do another HM. It didn't take too much out of me and gave me a lot more confidence.
  • Hi Andrew,

Out of interest what sort of times do you do your half marathons in? And also what pace do you run your long runs at? ie... what pace do you run your 15 miler?
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Hi LeedsNick

I started running mid January (although I had done a fair bit of walking over the years)

I have run 3 half marathons to date:  

18 Feb 1:41,  

4 Mar 1:37,   

and Reading 1st Apr  which was my target race to go all out  1:28. which is 6:45 min/mile pace

I had to look through my stats for Long run times / distances. Please bear in mind I'm a complete novice and not that clued up on what is best. These are my longest runs prior to each race:

I did 14 miles before 1st race @ 9:26, 14 miles before 2nd race  @ 9:15

Before Reading HM I did a 20 miler @8:30 followed by a 16 miler @ 8:20 pace.  The 20 miler was run as I'm working towards a full marathon in a few weeks and I wouldn't have done that just for Reading HM.

Since Reading my pacing has been getting a bit out of control. I struggle to run at the pace I ran at Reading e.g. on a Tempo session, and my Long Run pace has been far too fast and I have picked up a couple of niggles probably because of that. Live, learn and run!

• Crikey Andrew... you only started running in January and produced those times so quickly! You must be a natural! I ran 1hr 47 when I was a teenager some 30 years ago, but in the last 5 years since I started running again I still haven't broken 2 hours. So I am very jealous of you right now image.

Do you use the RW pace calculator at all? Could help keep you consistent? http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-training-pace-calculator/1676.html

Cheers

Nick
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I was pretty handy at Cross Country at school, but I seemed to drop all sport and bacame quite lazy for the next 25 - 30 yearsimage. I lost about 3 1/2 stone about 2 years ago through diet / walking, and now look like a runner (skinny, lean, blown about in the wind).  I always used to joke that I had "latent fitness" hidden inside, and started this year with the running after a few people on a walking trip inspired me.

I am using the McMillan Calculators for pace, but as I progressed well through the Half Marathons I have been updating them. I've got a good idea what paces I should be running now, its really down to me  to make sure I understand the purpose of what I am trying to do each time I go out the door for the various sessions I do. Sometimes I'm not committed to this, and mistakes arise e.g:

last Sunday went for Long run without comitting to pace, milage route etc - made it up as I went along. Went far too quickly,  discovered some hills, after 23 miles with another 2 miles to get home I was cursing and determined I wasn't going to make these mistakes again. We will see though

• Impressive Andrew. I am sure the losing of 3 1/2 stone helped. Try running with a backpack carrying that weight and see how it feels.. image

Do you have a thread running documenting your progress? Be interested to see how you get on in your challenges. I find it quite inspiring when I see other runners making advancements after a "30 year career-break" image
  • Andrew Jones 72 wrote (see)

Hi LeedsNick

I started running mid January (although I had done a fair bit of walking over the years)

I have run 3 half marathons to date:  

18 Feb 1:41,  

4 Mar 1:37,   

and Reading 1st Apr  which was my target race to go all out  1:28. which is 6:45 min/mile pace

I had to look through my stats for Long run times / distances. Please bear in mind I'm a complete novice and not that clued up on what is best. These are my longest runs prior to each race:

I did 14 miles before 1st race @ 9:26, 14 miles before 2nd race  @ 9:15

Before Reading HM I did a 20 miler @8:30 followed by a 16 miler @ 8:20 pace.  The 20 miler was run as I'm working towards a full marathon in a few weeks and I wouldn't have done that just for Reading HM.

Since Reading my pacing has been getting a bit out of control. I struggle to run at the pace I ran at Reading e.g. on a Tempo session, and my Long Run pace has been far too fast and I have picked up a couple of niggles probably because of that. Live, learn and run!

Those numbers are insane for someone who started running in January!!!! Jealous, you bet I amimage I started in January from virtually nothing and am dreaming of going sub 2:00 for Chester HM in May, your times make my ambitions appear rather rubbish image

Whilst race times are important, and reading posts from veterans who are smashing all kinds of figures give tons of inspiration, the sheer enjoyment of running cannot be understated, it is awesome.

Was reading on another thread a V45 guy smashes 5k in 15 minutes, that sounds like my flat out sprinting speed!

Good luck, Andrew, hope the niggles clear up.

• I'm 48 and started running last December. My target is to get under 20 minutes for a 5K. Best time so far is 21.30.
  • Paul Robertson 11 wrote (see)
    I'm 48 and started running last December. My target is to get under 20 minutes for a 5K. Best time so far is 21.30.

Cracking effort, Paul. You must have smoke coming from your trainers!

The Park runs are appealing but I wanted to get to the point where I was not trailing at the back! Do you participate in any park runs?

• Sorry Jake, stopped getting the email alerts.

Half marathon in March I did another PB, 1:35.. But frustrated cause I could've gone faster, and have in training.l but 7000 people and no timing pens so lots to run around, course hilly and some odd zig zag bits too.

Still that's nearly 5 mins off my time on same course 2011, and didn't batter my legs so recovery better.

Did a 4.2m race Wednesday in 27m30s all in sub 7 min miles...
    Next time i do a 10k, Stand a chance of going from sub 48m 10k last year, to sub 45m 10k November,..l,should crack sub 43m next time, and in with a chance of sub 42 !.

Got a 20m race on Sunday , more a training run though, then tapering, marathon in 4 weeks

Andrew... Amazing times to go 1:29 so soon...wow.
  • JakeUK wrote (see)
    Paul Robertson 11 wrote (see)
    I'm 48 and started running last December. My target is to get under 20 minutes for a 5K. Best time so far is 21.30.

Cracking effort, Paul. You must have smoke coming from your trainers!

The Park runs are appealing but I wanted to get to the point where I was not trailing at the back! Do you participate in any park runs?

I run on my own. Due to working rotating shifts my running pattern is a bit mixed up.

Just to confirm what others have said, don't over-do it. I've had to cut down in the last month due to picking up an injury.