Options

Runner collapsed at mile 26

Ok...great day at VLM but sadly i passed a runner being given heart massage just be military barracks by mile 26 at Buck Palace.

Does anyone know how they are?

Comments

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Sky news are reporting a death of a 30 yo female FF :0(
  • Options
    A 30 year old woman collapsed on Birdcage Walk and died later according to a Virgin LM press release just issued.
  • Options

Ah shit..thanks HC.

• Options
    ADGADG ✭✭✭
    horrible news, all the online papers are reporting it
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

It'snot unique - I've done two half maras in the last couple of years were someone has collapsed and died at or near the finish.

• Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

It is incredibly sad.  So young and so suddenly.

My thoughts go out to her family and friends.

Tragic.

• Options
    She is my friend's sister.  I'm absolutely devastated for the family.  If the family want anymore details Flat Foo.ted would you be able to help?  I don't think they have been told much yet.
  • Options
    Do you know what time it was when you saw her?
  • Options
    I think it must have been around 1:45 to 2pm going by what time my family had said, ie about 25 minutes before I passed that point.

The VLM facebook page announced the news yesterday and there are hundreds of peoples well wishes cathy, little consolation for her family but may help a little to know so many are thinking of them.
  • Options
    Cathy, please feel free to contact me via the direct message section at the bottom of each post.
  • Options
    Thank you.  I really appreciate it. 
  • Options

Cathy

Can you assure us you're genuine and not chasing a story? 

I would be very surprised  if the family aren't being given the fullest possible information possible by the authorities 

• Options
    Cathy Walsh 3 wrote (see)
    She is my friend's sister.  I'm absolutely devastated for the family.  If the family want anymore details Flat Foo.ted would you be able to help?  I don't think they have been told much yet.
    Oh how awful, so sorry to hear that image
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Perhaps the dead lady's family have been given as much info as there is at the moment.

To determine the cause of death often requires a post mortem, which takes time.

• Options

florian, I don't know how you want me to prove that I'm genuine.  And to be honest I am sickened that you are even accusing me of chasing a story.  I know there are people who do that sort of thing, but not me..

I'm sure the family will get all the information there is from the authorities.  I just wanted them to be able to contact someone if they felt they needed to, who saw Claire in her final moments.  I know how comforting any pieces of information like this are when someone dies in tragic circumstances. 

To be honest florain, I wish you'd kept your opinions to yourself.  You've made a perfectly innocent post into something it's not and made a difficult time, so much worse.

• Options
    Fine in which case I apologise.  But I have seen a lot of people sign up to forums like this to chase details which help them construct a story beyond the offical public line.  You have only posted on this topic, so I was suspicious. 
  • Options

Apology accepted.

I understand what you mean.  But that is not my intentions. x

• Options

Hi Cathy,

I can fully understand your friend's family's need to try to get an idea of what happened and Claire's final moments.  While it may not take any of the pain away, I can still see why they would feel the urge to know as much as possible from official sources as well as any official ones that one could identify.

I don't know if you have considered looking at her Just Giving page?

Some of the donations came from people who witnessed her being given treatment following her collapse.

Maybe a tiny bit of comfort or pride for the family also, that Claire's target of £500 for the Samaritans now stands at in excess of £21k worth of donations.

http://www.justgiving.com/Claire-Squires2

Look after your friend. x

[edited to include link]

• Options
    A thought for those that tried so hard to save her. It cannot be very good for them today either. They were probably volunteers and did't in their wildest dreams think their day would turn out like that..
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    And going up by the second Nam.  It's a testament to the goodness in our community.  The comments are heart breaking but will hopefully be a strength to the family in their time of need.
  • Options

Thanks for the kind comments.  I am overwhelmed by the donations she is receiving on her page.  She was a very popular girl.  I've donated.  I will have a look at the comments.  I'm hopefully going to see her sister in a couple of days.  I'm sure she'll take some comfort in the kindess everyone is showing.

I know what you mean about the people that helped Claire after she'd collapsed.  I've been thinking of them too, and everyone else that helped/witnessed what had happened.  So sad for everyone involved.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Still the money is going up, I donated, couldnt help but do so tbh.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options

Wow... it's gone up to £39k in the last hour!  One heart warming thing in this whole tragedy.

Poor girl, I daren't think what she must have felt like to be so close to the finish and all of a sudden feeling like you're really in trouble.  image

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Just over £100,000 now.  It's amazing.
  • Options
    Just got goosebumps looking at the page. £121,000.

(Make that £125k).
  • Options
    It really is completely humbling x
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    The comment which tore at my heart was one from two friends saying they were heading over to the finish to see her. It's hard to imagine how they must have felt when they arrived. Tragic.
  • Options

I saw the paramedics trying to revive her as I ran past - can't get the picture out of my head now... image

• Options
    I posted her justgiving page on my fb page last night and couldnt believe how quick it was going up, must be some small comfort that the family have to take heart from as it was only on £500 when she started the race

so tragic to happen so near the end too, its not like she wasnt fit or anything, as she had climbed kilmanjaroo ( sorry spelling ) before and she had apparently run the london marathon before

it just goes to show we need to be careful and not get complacent with our health and fitness, we are very lucky those of us who did it yesterday, even tho our legs are telling us about it today :-/
  • Options

Listened to Radio 4 this morning.  They said that she chose Samaritans because her mum had been a volunteer for over 20 years.  Samaritans were interviewed and they will ring-fence the donations and discuss with the victim's parents any particular Samaritan's initiatives that they might like to see the money go to and dedicate the projects to Claire, which seems a really nice gesture.

Over £343k now. 

The Mount Kilimanjaro trip was in aid of the Royal Air Force charity I think.