"I could have walked it faster"

I came into work this morning still buzzing from the VLM yesterday, I finished in a time of 5.32, which I know is slow, but I ran the whole way without stopping or walking despite starting to get tired at mile 14, which is a massive achievement for me. I also beat my PB from last year by 15 minutes.

No sooner had I said my time, someone said (joking, but still) that they could have walked it faster. He was swiftly told where to go and reminded that the ballot opens on Monday, so why not have a go.

But why do people think this comment is funny or even necessary? It's probably a throw-away comment but even so, it's really ruined my good mood, something I had to slog my guts out for over 26.2 miles and 5 and a half hours.

Comments

• Maybe you did one of those Peter Kay type Dad runs. Seriously though you musn't be so fragile. I'm sure lots of people think you're pretty super.
  • Adam - I did the marathon too. I am pleased I finished but it took me 6 hours. Believe it or not, I didn't slack. I also trained properly. I daren't tell anyone how long it took for the reasons you give.I think you did great - you did it! Only anyone who had done it knows what an accomplishment it is.
  • Adam Binnie

Well done you, a fantastic achievment. Not just doing it, but doing a PB by 15 mins!. Just ignore the sad muppets who make negative comments like that, they are not worth bothering about. You ran a marathon, that's something most can't do. Be very proud.

R Allen 2

thats goes for you too, and anyone else who has the guts to run a marathon.

• i had "did you where lead boots?" and i did it in 4hr 33min, so i challenged him in front of the whole pub to do one and he soon shut his mouth lol!!

• Only a proper race walker could walk a marathon faster than 5.32 as walking pace is around 15 minutes per mile so anyone who says that, even in jest is a numpty - Adam, WestBromton, you do exactly the right thing when you challenge these people to put their money where their mouths are.

Adam -well done! image

• Well done Adam and all of you. You will always get the "tits" wherever you go and whatever you do. Well done . WestBrom  -yes you did right to challenge emimage I did 5:38 -happy at that but could have done better in right conditios. So what!! You did it!!imageimage
  • ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Take no notice of these so called jokers. They're the ones who are usually envious and feel inadequate themselves. And as for being fragile - rubbish! You have every right to feel miffed when someone belittles your achievement.

Well done Adam and all those other runners who have finished a marathon (or any other race for that matter). You should be very proud of your achievement. Whether you're a 6 minute miler or a 13 minute minute miler - if you're giving it your all, you've done yourself proud image

• funny how the people who say things like that never take up the challenge image

well done
  • Thanks everyone, guess I'm still a bit exhausted and emotional. I only started running in 2010 and that was to train for the 2011 Brighton Marathon, and then the VLM this year. I've only ever done 10ks as part of marathon training so they've been around the hour mark. I've always been a slow runner!

I've looked at my splits for yesterday and I started off at 12min/mile and held that until mile 15, slowed to 13min/mile until 24, dropped to 14min/mile for that mile, and then back to 12min/mile for the finish. At points I was running at a fast walking pace but because I'm stubborn and said I wanted to run the whole way I kept at it.

Next mission is faster 5 and 10km times, a fast half marathon and then a fast marathon. Probably the order I should have done things in the first place!

• Well done on finishing. You're right, the only thing to do is call them out.

The one that's harder to refute is the comment that the front of the field can run twice as far in that time. I got that after my first half, fortunately no-one's yet thought of it (or maybe just not voiced it) after my first marathon...

• HL, that's because that would involve the guys at the front of the field running as hard as they can manage for 5 hours or more.  Which is something they know very little about and many possibly couldn't manage without radically changing their training.  Unlike you.
  • For elites, well that's their job, they should be good at it and for Kenyans and the like there is a natural, genetic build and ability which few of us can match - I don't take mention of their being twice as fast as me as an insult, (in fact I'd probably say it myself image) it's just a measure of their ability - although I think you do have to be a runner to appreciate just how good those guys actually are.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    lead boots 4.33??? Anyone who makes these comments  to us when we do our marathons have not the slightest idea and as everyone else has said, you all did great, ignore them! Look at your medal, remember the crowds the atmosphere and s*d the so and so's who really couldnt do it anyway!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I know what you mean, Screamy. I know how difficult it is to try and run even half a mile at 5 minute mile pace, so lord only knows how the front of the field manage to run 26 of them...

I take finishing in twice the time of the leading lady as a good target for any race. Although I am more sucessful at the shorter distances... H remarked that I got to half way in the marathon before the first lady finished, but I had a 'mareish second half and finished a bit outside that.

• I keep being told by my physio mate that if I want as faster time I need to ditch the 70 mile a day commute, apparently that's why I always get bum cramp, because I sit on it too much.

Dunno how true that is but it's a nice excuse!

My friend who runs at 3:30 said there's no way he could run for 5:30, fast or slow, so I just keep reminding myself of that image

• Well done Adam, both on your race time and putting your colleague in his place. It's just mean-spirited ignorance. As someone who has only started running 10k races this year I'm in complete awe of you guys. Many congratulations.
  • As others have said, well done on the finish/pb.

We were talking marathons at work this morning and I was told my 3.32 from Nottingham a few years ago was a bit of a slow time, I shall be calling him out on it in the very near future, see if he can set a decent time...
  • I've also heard fast runners saying that they can't imagine being out there for the amount of time us slower runners are. I think the mental challenge is even greater. Well done on improving your time!
  • Well Done for yesterday Adam and dont let anyone take away from your amazing acheivement.

I did it in 6.05 and did way more walking than expected due to hip and foot pain.  The complete strangers that were shouting words of encouragement didn't appear to have a problem with my time and neither do I - I am exhausted but elated and already starting to think about the next one.

Congratulations and enjoy your moment!

• I did it in 5:09 and someone said to me "what did you wear a giant nurse" I said yes.........they then shut up!!!!!!! imageimageimageimageimage well done everyone on here no matter what time, be proud you completed it.
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

Only the people who have ever put the time, effort and dedication into training to run a marathon truly know how tough it is, the ones making the comments will never get to experience that sense of personal achievemnet you had yesterday, today and I know from experience you'll have for a long time yet to come!!!

Be proud of what you acheived, there aren't many who can say they've done it!! image

• It all boils down to how much training you can manage and fit in.I only managed on average 25 miles a week due to work and other commitments so i new that i was never going to break 4 hrs so i was happy with 4 33 because id told everyone who had asked that it would be about 4 and half hours.

But to know that you will be out there 5 hours plus takes a lot of guts and mental strength in my opinion so fair play to ya!!image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Hill1 wrote (see)

Be proud of what you acheived, there aren't many who can say they've done it!! image

Well, at least 36,000 people did it yesterday, over 30,000 did it in Paris last week, nearly 9,000 did it in Brighton, and there's Stratford next weekend - and that's just April.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Whether it's easy or not is a different matter, but, actually, quite a lot of people can say they've done it.

• And fair play to each and every one of them!

• In a way it's good because it'll fuel my training for a faster time. The only thing that kept me going in the later miles yesterday was the thought that if I stopped then I wouldn't have improved on last year. 

I think it's just "banter" which is of course a by-word for acceptable bullying. I notice neither of the commentors have sponsored me either. No loss.

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    But why do people think this comment is funny or even necessary? It's probably a throw-away comment but even so, it's really ruined my good mood,

Congrats on doing the marathon!!
    As for the good mood being ruined, I think scroobius pip has got some good words on the subject -

"Now I'm sure you've had times when you've felt down or angry,
    Wanted to lash out, punch a wall and be manly,
    But the question I pose now will offer you a plan B,
    And maybe some peace and quiet for your friends and family,
    How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood,
    And then just be.. in.. a good mood?
    That's all I have to say because it's a straight up fact,
    You control your emotions it's as simple as that"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8bCB7DHJts

Easier said than done though image
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Scroobius Pip is, like, the best name ever!  I might start calling myself that actually.

• Rob 22 - We were down at Mile 13 and saw you go past - couldn't believe the size of that suit! Awesome effort.