Comments

• They should be allowed to enter 30 athletes into each race!
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I do think there could be some changes to the entry requirements to allow countries that are particularly strong to field more athletes.  I know GB cycling isn't quite in the same league as Kenyan distance running but even there you've got to choose between the World champion and Olympic champion to fill your single slot for an event.

Could there be perhaps an additional "A+" qualifying time to allow up to a maximum number of additional athletes from the same nation?  e.g. up to an additional 2 runners, minimum requirement sub-2:05?? 

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Sounds sensible PhilPub...if the Olympic ideal is for people to meet and greet and beat the best seems odd that he's not here....must have been because he was going downhillimage
  • I'm pretty sure that there is a country that's willing to adopt a Kenyan to allow them to run their marathon.

• This is where you suddenly get olympians who turn out to be the great great gran niece of queen victoria once removed ect...more power to them.
  • BB ✭✭✭
    I really think that for any event those classed as in the current top ten in the world (however that is determined for the different aports) should be allowed in and then after that every country gets their three (or whatver the allowed number is) top. It is crazy to have the Olympics without the best in the world all being there
  • On sunday I read (or heard) that the Kenyan OC have around 150 athletes to choose from that have performed under their qualifying time.
  • JamesBJamesB ✭✭✭
    The Kenyan team is just so so strong, I guess they picked on current form (Think the WR holder has a slight niggle?). The best in the world should be allowed to go outwith national selection though, shame Makau and Mutai will miss out on an olympic spot.
  • I've always thought that the Olympic Champion should be automatically invited to defend their title should they chose to do so (subject to meeting the qualifiying standard), and this should be in addition to the maximum number any nation is allowed to enter. They do this at the world athletics championship, as I recall because Michael Johnson got injured and missed out because of the US first past the post system.