newton terra momentus

touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
Are they any good off road grip wise?

Comments

• I am looking forward to reading people's opinions as I am thinking of buying these. Trail Running magazine did not rate them very high but the editorial team are all based in the North and run in the mountain trails and on very technical terrain. I find road Newtons very slippy on wet tarmac so may buy these for wet conditions and trails.
  • How off road are you planning to go Touie? They have almost the same sole as the Issacs, but the heel is better for off road running. They are "trail" Boulder Colorado style rather than a cross-country shoe.
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    possibly more off road than they can offer it's quite hilly here so need a bit of grip on the way down, mainly grass, chalk paths!
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I had a pair and thought them pants. They did not seem to offer any grip whatsoever and they wore out in about 100 miles. there again when I run off road I do go off road - mud, slopes, wet grass, sticky mud, wet chalk.

I found them to be too rigid, that maybe because they are based on the issacs. The forefoot was way to narrow for me. Nothing like the distance + motion shoes.

I think I may still have them kicking about somewhere, if you pm me your addy I'll post them to you so you can have a better look if you can't find a pair in a shop.

Depends on where you are but TriStore Eastbourne stocks them.

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭

I normally run in the distance and motion so if they are totally different I probably wouldn't like them anyway!

I'm finding my previously loved Saucony Xodus too heavy and bulky now so I am looking for a new off road shoe that is lighter but still has good grip!

• That's interesting. I did see the extra grip on the heel but as a forefoot runner I don't need to use the heel very much. I shall stick with the new balance trail minimuses I now have got.
  • Hi Can anyone say are the newtons that good or are they just a fad  please let neknow before I think about buying some ie stop me wasting my money 
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I really love my newtons for road running I don't run in anything else now, they may be expensive but I am still regularly running in a pair that I have used since may last year and they are still looking good!!! After 2 years of knee injuries I have also managed to get through this marathon season injury free in my newtons image

I just need to find a suitable off road shoe now!!!
  • I love Newtons too. Having recently changed from heel striking to natural running I feel they help me brilliantly on my way. I attended their Natural Running workshop last year and got to try Newtons on and do drills in them. For trail runs I use more minimalistic shoes but on road Newtons are first class.
  • The Newton Momentus is a great shoe, but I simply don't think they are good enough for pure trail running up north. I use mine as a winter road running shoe with a bit of park running. For this they are perfect.

And the comment for Boulder trail running design, that is spot on. If it is a flat trail run with no mud, that they are pretty good, but have it wet, and proper english hills, then I would not choose to run in them