Pirates at VLM

15678911»

Comments

• Fantastic support yesterday,  thanks to all who were out there & lovely to meet more pirates both on the course and in the pub afterwards (am looking forward to Post Outlaw party already)

Delighted to be dropped by HH at mile 17......... as it was seriously damaging my street cred to be seen with someone wearing the tri-ponce visor & calf guardsimage   
    Much more in keeping was Seren's comment to BBC radio London that the skull & crossbones was about people who "sort of do triathlon" image
  • In case anyone's interested, the Radio London interview is here - click on London Marathon x days left to listen, it starts around 35.17 with my (non Pirate) Just Tom (as he's now been christened), followed by the rest of us (Jaffa was shy though).....image
  • Nice linky, you must be famous innit!

It's the linky to the 8 o clock marathon show, not the 10 o clock. If anyone wants to hear the posse... image

• Oooohhhh!!! Seren  & hairy are famous! Big up the Pirates!!  Hairy, you are not very nice, are you?!

So, has Just Tom done an IM, is he going to come and visit us here? 

• morning all
    i am in a good mood so will not go on the link to hear my usual drivel...

so great to meet so many pirate asgain .before during and after......

highlight

running along quietly and a strange man suddenly comes up and asks if i am in a triathlon club....i say yes and then he tells me that Kanga said to say hello.........it made my day that a tall australian came and gave me that message......image

Jaffa..i wasn't thinking straight at that interview as i had just seen you mincing your way across the field seconds before........

great work at mudchute again...........especially to Mr Z who has amazing hugs.......and I got 2 of my 3 requests.........no bacon butty but the sausage rolls, smoked cheese and chocolate made up for no bacon image

I apologise to amyone in the pub I upset as I get even louder and less tactful when i drink and a few pints without food isn't good for this old girl.....

so thank you all for helping to make a great day despite my PW time...50 mins slower than my first ever marathon.....finishing time 5:25

• Sausage rolls.  Food of champions. image
  • Holly - PSC was on there as well - midlife crisis man image
    Tom's done a few - very fast swimmer and runner, but cyclist he ain't! He's a busy man so doesn't normally get much time to play on forums, but will see what I can do - he likes beer though image

And I am very nice I'll have you know - if you're around tomorrow morning I'll even buy you a coffee to prove it image

• Thank you lovely Pirates for your support on Sunday, from both Funkin and myself. He was awesome and finally got his GFA, hurrah! imageimage

I was chuckling to myself as Seren was running along with me with her diet coke before I sent her on her way! I didn't realise she'd had sausage rolls too, didn't tell me that!

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

The slight lack of knowledge of the interviewer makes me laugh, you can almost hear the cogs turning...

"Here we are at the blue area with the....

[oh feck, who are the people at the blue area?]

... with the elite runners and the ordinary runners....

[???]

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    just listened to the interview - cool!

so who is Tom, and who was the other one who spoke - was that Jaffa? I didn't hear HH's dulcet tones though
  • hairier half wrote (see)
    In case anyone's interested, the Radio London interview is here - click on London Marathon x days left to listen, it starts around 35.17 with my (non Pirate) Just Tom (as he's now been christened), followed by the rest of us (Jaffa was shy though).....image

I couldn't allow myself to be heard on radio on Sunday morning....... I only said I was popping out for a newspaper image  

Just Tom deserves to be a pirate,  I was in awe when he got out his pre-race nutrition of  smokey bacon crisps & a garage bacon & egg sannie.

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    ah, the other one who spoke was PSC - thanks HH
  • Just Tom's great - he normally tries to sneak in a few beers the night before a race as well....

Debbo - I was the one who made the comment about running together - I have a cold at the mo, which makes my voice even deeper and manlier. Erm......

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

LOLOL.  The interviewer sounded very non-plussed at Ironman. It was almost a 'yeah, yeah, Ironman yadda, yadda, yadda but what about the MARATHON? 

HH, we should set up a new thread in dedication.  'You are the interview slayer'.

• Seren... seeing you reach for a second can of Beer was one of the highlights of my day and reminded me to not take this kind of thing too seriously and have fun and smile image
  • agree with GB ... the enduring image of this years VLM will be that of Seren at Mudshute on her second Stella ... made all the better by her  deciding that being stationary for so long perhaps might look right and that  she should pretend she is stretching out image .. Leg in the air, bottle of Stella in one hand,  sausage roll in the other  .... Seren you are a legend
  • Still got her leg higher than any of us can manage..... real afalete image

• Is Just Tom single by any chance????

You can fill me in over our coffee tomorrow, HH. If I remember correctly they do nice looking cake there too...

• seren nos wrote (see)
    highlight running along quietly and a strange man suddenly comes up and asks if i am in a triathlon club....i say yes and then he tells me that Kanga said to say hello.........it made my day that a tall australian came and gave me that message......image
    Ha, you're the mysterious Sarah that Pete said helllo to ! Yes, small world example #521. Meet random friend of a friend doing an MTB race in Canberra a few weeks ago who's next gig is London mara. I say I know a few peeps doing that, very hard to miss the kit and the capers, Mile 17 beer stand etc, and send him on his way. Would have much rather been there to say hi and get a few pints down in person, but sometimes you have to send a messenger image

Sounds like another great day out though image
  • I'm not surprised he didn't get Seren in my welsh accent image

it was a lovely moment...
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    HH - apologies for missing your deep manly voice on the interview

Kanga - so we still can't rid of you, even by sending you to the colonies image
  • debbo wrote (see)
    HH - apologies for missing your deep manly voice on the interview

That's coz he minces his words, too image

debbo wrote (see)
    Kanga - so we still can't rid of you, even by sending you to the colonies image
    Hell no, worse than a dose of clap image
  • Oh wow you found the interview. Fame and fortune may follow.

Loved meeting up with the gang above for some good pre and post race banter.
  • she really didn't know what was going on did she! 

I loved the fact that she gave "just Tom" a pair of headphones and started the interview with him, then just turned around and interviewed the rest of us leaving the earphones on Tom who was looking increasingly concerned that he may be throttled by the cord! 

I think Jaffa legged it when he saw the microphone.  image

• right I'm off to find my leather trousers. image
  • 'have to send a messenger', Kanga!

Sounds like you're sending an angel down to deliver messages from on high!!

• Oh god yes Holly, from my exalted position as a failed wannabe tri deity image

Cracking autumnal day outside today, clear, cold, blue skies, and about to run to work. Loved those sort of days back 'home' image