Friday session

Last nights "marathon simulation" was interesting - Aim was to hold about 75% of max HR (Karhoven) which is about 157 in the end I couldn't do it, first lap (of three) I hit 160 and just couldn't get it back down again so I treat it as a slightly-faster-than-marathon-pace-tempo-session. Average rate for the whole session was 160 and actually ran 10.5 km (6.5 miles) in 47 minutes flat whereas I think my marathon pace is porbably a bit slower. Over the next two weeks I intend to push this up to about 18 km at the same pace and see how it feels.

Today: Rest
Why: Tired plus race on Sunday
Last hard day: Yesterday (although didn't feels that hard)
Last rest: last Friday.

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning,

Today: Rest
    Why: Did planned mile rep session last night and have a tough race on Sunday.
    Last hard day: Yesterday
    Last rest day: Saturday.

• Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

What: have already done 4 x 400m reps. PM: gym session, probably 30 mins hill session on bikes, some weights and tummy-toning exercises.
    Why: had a very slow run yesterday with erstwhile running partner and needed to do something faster today, plus we usually go to the gym on a Friday.
    Last hard day: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Monday
  • Morning all

What : Nothing
    Why : Teesdale Triathlon this weekend

Last Hard Day : Tuesday

Will
  • Morning all, well impressed with your early morning sess Road Runner. Also, with your practice marathon pacing Martin.

What: Rest. That's a proper rest, not an 18 mile bike ride like yesterday.
    Why: Took Wild Will's and Drew's advice and took my resting HR this morning: 15 beats above normal. So decided to really rest rather than agonise as to why I can't train harder.
    Last hard: Tues
    Last rest: Mon

Good luck to those of you racing this weekend, look forward to your race reports.
  • GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Morning,

Today: Rest (apart from moving all my heavy furniture at 6 am)
    Why: did half marathon distance in training for first time last night (2h10 - bit faster than expected since my average 10k speed is 9mins a mile) - (got distance wrong in planning new 10-11 mile route - oops - and since it was mostly an out and back had no option but to keep going)
    Suffering: Nipples Spontaneously combusted after 11 miles (Vaseline required) and Nike Dri fit is no longer dry and doesn't fit. - Bit sore/stiff in the legs but otherwise feel ok and strangely satisfied!!!
    Best part of run: may have found second hand car i want. Or adrenaline rush from getting the heebie jeebies running past the cemetary on the home stretch.
    Last hard day: Yesterday?
    Last rest day: Wednesday
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    What: Nothing
    Why: Stiff asa board after yesterday's swim.

I'm really enjoying the swimming and cycling at the moment. I wonder if there is anything in thid triathlon mularky.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    What: Nothing
    Why: Travelling to my Mum's tonight (3.5 hour drive)

Last night's run went ok. For the first 2 miles, everything felt "loose" as if the crash had dislocated everything slightly. Took a short walk break after 3 miles, just to check there were no unusual pains. Despite a strong headwind for a couple of miles, I managed 5 miles in just under 50 mins (my fastest yet for that route!) so I'm feeling ok for Sunday's 10k.

My long runs for the marathon must be paying off at last!
  • Next 2 races are 10Ks - a distance longer than I normally run in training! - first one 15th Sep.
    Therefore (even if some of you might think it's too little, too late!):

What: Steady road run on usual 9.3K course - but will add an extra 1K or so by running the full length of (as opposed to halfway down) West Kirby promenade. Should make it a 40 min+ outing.
    Why: see above
    Last hard day: Wed
    Last rest day: Mon
  • What: zippo
    Why: it's Friday
    Last hard run: Yesterday
    Last rest: Today

Well only 2 weeks till Robin Hood. Getting excited about this one already.
  • What:Rest
    Why: 5k tomorrow and I want to 'go for it'
    Last Hard: Tuesday Run Thursday Swim

Any advice for me for tomorrow? I started running having completed the RFL 5k in May at 32 mins. I have done runs up to hilly 8 milers since but this is my first race repeat of 5k. I would love to complete tomorrow in a good sub-30 as my aim at the moment is to achieve 9 min miles.

Should I go out steady and then after a few k try to use the rest of the expected 100+ field as 'targets'?
  • GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Kes,

Started may last year - I've run a fair number of 10k's but no 5's - my average mileage is 9-10 mins per mile over 10k (56 mins is my fastest 10km) so we're probably evenly matched - my 10k strategy always ends up with me going off too fast - settling down after 2 miles to about 9.30 min miles, last 1-2 miles pushing as hard as I can maintain over the distance. Not ideal, but I reckon if you go off steady and don't push too much over the first 2-3km you might find you have enough to push the last 2km - or last mile and break your 30 min time.
  • What: maybe a swim later
    Why: easy/rest day today - tomorrow running the Test Way relay and don't want to let my club down - everyone alse in the team is v speedy!
    Last hard day: Wed
    Last rest day: yesterday
  • What: recovery cross training at gym
    Why: still feel slightly sore/stiff after 11.5 mile trail training run on weds at about 8:30 pace
    last rest day : yesterday
    last toughie: weds

Think my training's all muddled up at the moment. I have half an eye on fulfilling my entry to windsor and half an eye on focussing on 10k. the 1/2M pushes me to these long runs and I suspect I do them too hard (weds was at 78% WHR) with insufficient recovery. nevertheless after a cutback whilst on vacation (5 runs in 16 days) we got home at 01:00 after a day in the car and by 11:45 I'd taken a 10% slice off my 10k pb in a local race (its easy when its yr second 10k!!!). This could be the dividend of no race/good taper vacation or the benefit of the long runs. I'm too green to be certain.

BTW is the picture working, the legs are so short as to be invisible
  • What: 11 mile recovery run

Why: don't know, must be mad, why am I trying to run these 70+ mile weeks, hope there's a point!

Last hard day: yesterday's tempo run

Last rest day: last Monday, can't afford them, rest days play havoc with the mileage!

What is it about running that makes us all so obsessive?! s.
  • Today's prize for most bizarre and amusing training log goes to Old Dog. 'may have found second hand car I wanted'
  • What: Rest
    Why: 1hr sports massage. Wonderful as he got all the stiffness out of my shoulders & my neck. Should run well tomorrow.
    Last hard: yesterday.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Late (Last?) Post .

What : 5*1mile reps at 10k pace (6m40miles)
    with 90sec recovs. Did it in the gym to ensure I maintained the speed.
    Warmed up and down on the bike 10mins before and after).
    Why: weekly intervals , week in turmoil (should've done this session on Tuesday - but hey I did my long run on Wednesday!)
    Last Rest : Tuesday
  • Duly extended long run course to > 10K (I think). Ran it fairly easy at ~6:45 pace in just under 44 mins - still not fully recovered from Wed race I didn't think. Found it a bit of a chore again I'm afraid.