How to pitch training after 1st marathon

kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

So, sunday was my first marathon (disaster, quite possibly - injury, undertrained, you can predict the rest).

Anyways, onwards and upwards.

How do I get back into training and what level to pitch it at?

I think I will need a few weeks off and aware the rule of thumb is about a month off.  But then what?  And inbetween what?

I went swimming today to loosen the muscles.  But can I start cross training?

And when I go back to running?  What distance? 

(I'm 33, female, average - less than average runner)

Comments

• I understood the rule was you shouldn't run HARD for as many days as miles you'd raced. So not a month off running, by any means.

Having said that, you may need some time off running to get over it mentally. So don;t rush, go out when you feel you want to. and if you want to do something else, that's equally as valid an approach.

I've been out tonight for the first time after a grim first marathon at Brighton, 9 days ago. I did nearly 4 mile, but no watch and no pressure. I think I'll take it a bit easy for this week, then think about picking the miles back up after that. I was typicallly running ~ 20 a week ahead of starting marathon training, and I think getting back to that fairly quickly would seem reasonable.

Having said that, I'm clearly no expert, having the grand total of 1 marathon worth of experience! image

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    Thanks helen.

Might be doing something similar to you.
    Thought I would just swim this week and look at how I feel next week. Maybe get back into running then, or give myself more time off.

I'm really really looking forward to running just because I want to rather than because my training plan said I needed to and I have to do x/y/z otherwise I've failed.

Hope your recovery is going well. Saw on the forums you were disappointed with your marathon. Hope your coming to terms with it all!
  • Hi

I ran London on Sunday too and it was my second time. I deliberately did not set myself a target time as my first marathon was deemed a disaster simply because i didn't break my 5hr target. I have spent 7 years feeling sad/disappointed about that so this year my one aim was to enjoy it and nothing else. I have two children under 3yrs old and could only fit in a 'get round' programme. Even this was a challenge - injuries, illness, tiredness - my longest training run was 16 miles and that was agony.

Anyway, I did enjoy Sunday - I would do it all again tomorrow if I could! Last 7 miles were hell on earth but even that didn't matter because I did what I set out to do - got round. And I was even slower than the first time! Anyway, wanted you to know that you did an amazing thing and from here you will be so much more equipped for next time. The first time is such a learning experience, it's not meant to be easy and so many runners don't even make the start line! Be proud image)

But apart from all that, I am now having an easy month - leaving watch at home, jogging for me, not for a programme. Then I will stick to my three runs per week - short/med/long - averaging around 20 miles per week. I've entered Robin Hood Half in Sept to give me a focus and will start a plan 10 weeks before then. I'm also going to try and implement a strength programme at the gym to try and help me run faster/stronger - time permitting.

Good luck image

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Congrats on your marathon!

You're right - it is an achievement and something to be proud ofimage

Good luck with your training and hope the Robin Hood Half goes well!