Options

Greater Manchester Marathon

Comments

• Options

ha ha Too much information image

Setting off................. All the best Athletes

• Options
    Race number is 1384 and wearing blue Bolton vest over white Nike pro long sleeve top. Good luck everybody!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Not having any problems with the loo this morning. I must be a bit nervous I think.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Here comes the storm....
  • Options
    Well done to each and everyone of you! I stood in the rain sleet and sometimes snow just before the drinks station in Timperley. If you now cant hear out of one ear, then sorry that was me.

By goodness you all deserve those medals. Well done for whatever time you got, in some of the worst running conditions I have ever seen! I have only just about thawed out!
  • Options
    Congratulations +1 to everyone. Terrible conditions - I feel worse than when I ran my marathon, and I was only marshalling. Or more accurately, getting sworn at my various people who had ignored the road closure signs - ignorant gits.
  • Options
    Great marshalling and spectators an amazing turnout given the weather. I didnt quite have the legs for 3:15 and ended up with 3:16 which I'm happy with given the conditions.
  • Options
    Well done all. Does anyone know if there will be a chip time for runners? Looks like just gun time at the moment.

Thanks especially to all the marshals & spectators. It was hell out there!
  • Options
    well done all, I have to say I done think I have been that cold in a long long time but came in at 3:29 so happy chicken. that said I have never seen baggage area like that before, I was lucky and got my bag after about 20mins but someone needs their ass kicking for letting that happen
  • Options
    Terrible conditions especially for the mid sections from Timperley all the way through to the last couple of miles. Well done to the crowds and marshalls, your enthusiasm helped make it bearable. Big thumbs down to organisation at the bag drop, it took me 20+ minutes to get my bag and then I got it myself, it was chaos - not clever with tired and cold people around.
    Just warmed up with a nice warm bath (and big bag of peanuts). Sofa, sleep and rugby/footy beckon for afternoon and pub tonight.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all. That was fun wasn't it?! Will write more later as had a few adventures. Came in under 3.15 (I think/hope), beat the 3.15 pacer anyway. The baggage storage was a disaster - awaiting multiple complaints on here about that.

Where did you get gun time?

• Options

Well done all, did it in 3h 27 which I'm so pleased with (first marathon I collapsed and finished in 4h59). Motored first half then struggled in that wind and rain. Wasn't that stretch from Dunham to Umston horrible? My splits for the last 8 miles were terrible! Marshalls and fans deserve medals too.

Much of it was well organised, plenty of water stations, start smooth, BUT:

That bag collection was an effing disgrace. Stood outside with all others freezing for 20 mins, then went round the back and had a hoke through the 4000s pile, which was about 4 high and just totally mixed up. Gave up after 15 mins, lucky I had my girlfriend to take me home. I'm gonna contact them tomorrow but doubt I'll get my clothes back. That no-one took responsibility for  it, that the army had 2hours to get them in order and arrange a sensible type of pick-up and then left it to become some kind of free-for-all is a joke, I really pity those who had keys, phones, wallets etc in their bags.

• Options
    Mark
    I had keys and phone in mine but managed to find it, when I left all the army guys were stood in a big group near the exit smoking fags and having a laugh. I can only assume they weren't meant to be managing the baggage hand back. I think it is a disgrace considering how easy it is to have a system of tables which have number ranges so that bags can be found quickly at the end. What was there to stop anyone stealing bags? there didnt even seem to be anyone from the race organisers there?
  • Options
    Echo congrats to marshalls and crowd they were awesome. Yes other organisation was terrible but can't be bothered with that now. Ran for 22 miles with Quays buta then I cramped up and he went ahead. Great time from Quays for his fIrst marathon 3:47ish. My time which I am well happy with considering cramp and weather was 3:52:44 a nEw PB. I nev wan to run in conditions like that again
  • Options
    15West: I found my gun time on the track runner section on the website. There's no link, just comes up on the scrolling banner
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Found gun time: 3.14.04. Totally chuffed with that. So... I can get a GFA in London next year?

• Options
    I left my bag there. My whole body was shaking and I'd have made mysef ill if i stood there any longer.
  • Options
    Totally agree Gaz it was appalling
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I also gave up on bag - it was total chaos and I was too exhausted and cold to deal with it, infact thought I was going to die so just walked off home. Couldn't contact missus as phone in bag so just hoped they had gone home (hadn't arranged a meet with them as they weren't coming, but then they did). Home about 15 minute walk away which was so hard, and got there and of course they're not there, and my keys are also in my bag. Stood outside for 10 minutes wondering what the hell I was going to do, then fortunately a neighbour rescued me.

Luckily for me my partner got my bag for me, just found it outside in a pile ready to get soaked, some bags were open with their contents strewn everywhere. Also - anyone could just take any bag they want. It was a total farce and kind've ruined an otherwise well organised event.

• Options
    Great running everyone. That run was a real gut check over the last 9-10 miles.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

also -  you're not going to believe it but I fell off bike on the way this morning. Knackered back wheel a bit and bruised my ribs and hurt my leg. Thought I wouldn't be able to run at one point. But being brave the little soldier I am I did of course.

The weather was so bad for 2nd half, I wanted to stop/slow, but the weather kept me going as I just wanted to get it finished and get inside and warm - which make the baggage fiasco even more frustrating.

• Options
    Well I wish I had listened to 15's weather predictions and not even turned up! 3:43 for me, 11 mins slower than one I did 2 weeks ago. Went through half on target, but just froze on the way back. With hindsight shorts and club vest were not a good idea. I seriously thought I was getting hypothermia over the last 8 miles, and there appeared to be no st johns ambulance/officials for vast stretches of the section out of Dunham Massey to Urmston. I have never been so relieved to finish a race. I would have stopped, but could see no way of getting warmed up/getting to finish area. Luckily my husband was there and I didn't have to use the bag drop. On a positive note, a massive thanks to the people of Manchester for their rousing cheer in that weather.
  • Options
    The thought crossed my mind Amanda that if someone had collapsed at certain points of the race then they could have been in serious trouble.
  • Options
    Feeling completely dead now. Had to pull out at 21 miles. Got to 18 miles in reasonable time but slowing drastically. Started to go extremely slow around 19 miles and began to walk. Received plenty of encouragement from spectators, but just couldn't move my legs. A fellow Burnley fan jogged past, to which I shouted "come on you Clarets!" he kindly persuaded me to run with him. Stayed with him, chatting about football until the drinks station but I slowed again and lost him. I began to walk again and was determined to finish, the cold, rain and wind caught up to me and I started to shake uncontrolably. I asked a spectator for the nearest marshal, and was told there was an ambulance at the traffic lights, 21 miles. As I got to the ambulance it drove off as I tried to wave it down. A kind woman asked if I was ok, to which I replied no. She put her arm around me saying she will help me inside her house. Her family were amazing and took care of me no end. Managed to get hold of my dad and now back home on the sofa.
    Well done to all that finished. It was a pleasure meeting Woody, how did you get on?
    I'll be back next year and hopefully I'll fair better.
  • Options

afternoon all, please excuse typing think I have frostbite !!

Well what a day ... excellent support out on the course especially given the conditions, going through some of the areas was truly deafening so a big well done and thanks to all spectators and marshalls out on the course.

Am really really happy as managed to get a sub 4 (3:57 according to Garmin, gun tim is 3:59 so just waiting for chip times to go up), which was my dreamland target , and given the conditions I am super chuffed !

The course was good, but there were a couple of bottlenecks that need sorting where the drinks areas had encroached on to the course (especially first one on that upward bend).

Round Dunham Massey was fun in the mud, although again a little congested at places due to it being narrow and me running just in front of sub 4 where there was a large body of runners.

Overall a very good race, however the baggage was an absolute disgrace, I can't even begin to understand what they were thinking, and if the organisers had dared come out of wherever they were hiding I don't think they would have escaped alive.

But still I now have a nice shiny sub 4 so all is good with the world.

• Options
    Well done everyone was blown away (literally) by the support & marshalls that stood around in that shite excuse for weather. My first marathon or race even & loved it I smiled until the point my face lost all its sensation, happy with time which i think was around 3.32, are the official times up? My Garmin packed up at mile 21 so i lost my pacing at the end but i put in a fast final 4 miles as i didn't hit the expected wall & felt strong.  I think i had to stop for a wee every 4 miles or so & didn't drink a great deal of water no idea how i would cope at the London marathon with not so many bushes.
  • Options

I managed to get round in 3 53 which I'm well chuffed with crowds were fantastic as were the marshalls

But the baggage area... well

• Options
    Just to echo everyone's comments and say a massive thanks for all the marshals and spectators today on what was the worst marathon conditions I've ever seen. Especially liked the Mexican wave under motorway bridge jut outside Urmstom. All thoughts of a PB went out of the window early on and was please to drag myself in 3:08.

I was lucky and managed to get my bag by luck which seemed to be the system employed today. 100's of shivering runners kept waiting in that way is very poor.
  • Options

Well that was a bit tasty wasn't it!!!!

Well done to everyone especially the first timers.

Don't let today put you off that was the worse conditions I've ever raced in.

After London my plan was to just take it easy but looking at the weather I thought I'd try and get round sharpish, gun time 2.57.01 but was well under that off my chip time.

I got to the baggage and it was chaotic when I got there, so can only feel for the later runners.