New to bike purchasing

Hi All,

Just completed my first marathon and am now looking to brave the world of triathlons however I currently don't own a bike. Looking at numerous websites bikes seem to have a whole raft of features of which I know nothing about so was just wondering whether the features of this hybird bike would be suitable:

Shimano EZFire controls for precise push button shifting
Shimano 21 speed gears
Strong alloy wheels
Frame 6061 Heat treated Aluminium
Fork Hi Ten Steel
Headset Sealed
Shifters Shimano EZFire
Rear Derailleur Shimano TX31
Front Derailleur Shimano C051
Chainset Shimano FC-M151 48/38/28
Bottom Bracket Cartridge Cro Mo
Chain UG51
Freewheel Shimano 14-28 7sp
Handlebar Riser satin finish
Stem Hi Ten
Grips Triple Density Comfort
Saddle City Comfort 1
Seat Post Alloy Micro 27.2mm
Pedals Nylon Street

The guy at the bike shop sold it to me well but as that is his job I thought I'd put the question out there as I do not want to purchase it to then find out it's not suitable.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• a hybrid bike is "OK" for your 1st triathlon but frankly you'd do better investing the funds into a proper road bike which will be lighter and faster.

all that info is just spec for the bike and frankly it doesn't look that great

what's your budget???
  • Speaking as someone who bought a hybrid as their first bike.  It (the hybrid) is a bit of a 'one size fits all', it won't be as fast as a proper road bike and it can't tackle the full range of off road conditions you'd take a mountain bike on.  You can however do some gentle off roading with it and it will be faster on the road than a MTB.

If you only want to do tris you'd be better off looking at a pure road bike.  That said I did a season of tri's on my hybrid before deciding this was something I wanted to pursue long term- I then bought a road bike. 

Edit: Great minds and all that... must learn to type quicker though

• A hybrid bike is fine for getting around - but not perfect for triathlon.

As FB says - a drop barred bike is better - it puts you in a more aero position, and overcoming wind resistance is what you want to do to go faster.

Road bikes can easily cope with whatever a hybrid can anyway - look at Paris Roubaix race - they batter them over nasty cobblestones and mud. Far tougher than most rides.
  • Not wanting to highjack the thread (sorry) but I assume that Paris Roubaix is what the thing that was on just recently?  I was wondering whether what looked like road bikes really were road bikes, but sounds like they really were [that sentence makes no sense does it].  Do they have special tyres or something - I know nothing about bikes and it has been puzzling me.  Maybe I don't need to be so delicate about what I will subject my road bike to (also known as fewer excuses for not going out and about!).  Or maybe their advantage of being less of a heffalump than me helps too.

Edit to add: actually never mind that single sentence - that was just a load of rambling rubbish altogether.  It's been a hard day, honest!

• What gave you to think that they weren't??

The answer to the question is yes they are btw  image
  • Thanks Meldy!  They looked like road bikes, but I just assumed that a road bike wouldn't go on that sort of terrain.  Bringing the thread (very very slightly) back on track I would say it's probably more due to me believing the salesman who had me believe I needed to buy a road bike, a hybird and a mountain bike as you couldn't possibly ever ever ever ever take one of of the ideal environment that it was designed for.  I just got a road bike in the end, but am a bit precious about where I take it.  As I am crap and fall off a fair bit, this doesn't leave much scope for variety at the moment as I only go on the very quietest roads which limits my routes.

At one point I was nose up to the TV (literally) trying to look at the tyres.  I'm sure my husband thought I was eyeing up something else entirely!
  • Not too sure what terrain you are on about unless you mean the cobbles?
  • Yup - the cobbles.  And the narrow tracks in the grass at the side of some of the roads/cobbles.
  • A few of the riders in the Paris Roubaix were on cyclocross bikes
  • SausageDog wrote (see)
    A few of the riders in the Paris Roubaix were on cyclocross bikes
    Ohh dear - are you disagreeing with M...eldy? You have a lot to learn - M...eldy is never wrong (even when she is) image
  • I wouldnt dream of disagreeing, just elaborating on a previous response image
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    most of the Paris-Roubaix bikes are road bikes but they have been "fettled" by the teams to make them a little more robust to stand the rigours of the conditions. little things like stronger components, different seat posts and saddles, stronger wheels and hubs etc - but unless you looked close you wouldn't notice these.

anyway - where's the OP to comment??
  • Thanks for feedback, as I have never completed a triathlon before I don't really want to spend loads of money on a bike straight off I figured £200-300 max to be honest then if it isn't my thing I can use just use the bike for leisure and travelling to work which is why I was looking at a hybrid's. If there is a specific bike you would suggest that fits in my price range then I'd be interested to hear what it is.

that budget won't get you a lot of decent bike sadly - of any type, road, hybrid or MTB

do you have a friend you could borrow a bike from?? that way, you won't have to lay any dosh out and if you find that you like tri (and most do get hooked) then you can look at investing more funds towards a good bike.

if you can borrow a bike, make sure it's from someone of a similar height to you as if it's either too small or too big, it will be uncomfy

a decent bike for tri will cost around £500 minimum (new) although you could get a good deal for that amount on a 2nd hand one that would cost a lot more new. or - wait until autumn/winter when this year's stock is marked down to make space for next years

hope that helps and good luck

• Ok thanks for the advice I could probably live with spending £500 so will keep what you've said in mind and look around, in the mean time I will see if anyone I know owns a bike. Thanks again
    no sweat - just enjoy your 1st tri and join in the forum if you need any more help or advice, or just want some banter
  • CMC - have you looked into the bike to work scheme
  • Hi Sausage Dog, I did look into the bike to work scheme but to be honest its not the funding thats the problem its the not knowing how much I'm going to enjoy and want to commit to the sport. I'd happily pay for something of decent spec if I knew it was what I wanted to pursue long term.

So I think initially I just want something I can try a tri with but also just use for work travel / leisure if that fails. It sounds like a road bike is the most suitable option to cover all areas I'll just have to try and find one at the lower end of the price bracket to begin with and maybe in a years time if it's all going well look to upgrade.

• Cmc hire a bike, quite a few of the big online Tri stores offer a bike hire scheme, you won't spend your budget and you won't end up with a bike you don't need or want...

Just a idea

• CMc, how tall are you? Just in case anyone has anything in your size ish and you can do a deal
  • Dustboy wrote (see)
    CMc, how tall are you? Just in case anyone has anything in your size ish and you can do a deal

I'm 5ft 2/3.

gastank wrote (see)
    Cmc hire a bike, quite a few of the big online Tri stores offer a bike hire scheme, you won't spend your budget and you won't end up with a bike you don't need or want... Just a idea

Oh ok thats great thanks I'll take a look at that then.