Greater Manchester Marathon

Comments

• Paraletic wrote (see)

Don't know where to start with this one.

The weather - lol.

The 5 hour pacer - Didn't show up! A massive thanks to the guys I ran for 22 miles with, you were an awesome help to me, Jane, Sara, Stuart and the rest of the unofficial 5 hour pacing group I was with until cramp hit me.

The unexpected off road trail - Not too bothered by mud but I did nearly lose a trainer and slipped on a tree root

The marshalls - Best I've ever seen, you were brilliant!

Shot Blocks - All gone by the time I got to the stations, very disappointing.

The Baggage area - I luckily didn't leave a bag, I wore some old stuff to the start and chucked it but my mate lost his bag.

Overall I think a lot of the problems were made far worse by the weather, on a personal note I managed a PB in this my second marathon, disappointed not to break 5 hours but I feel I earned a few 'man up' points just by turning up at the start (as did we all).

Hey matt, I suspect i was part of this "unofficial 5 hour pace group" i sadly lost you all at around the 20mile mark, im afraid my left knee gave up on me and i just couldnt quite keep up. walk/ jogged to the end after managing to aquire a plastic bag and foil blanket to keep hypothermia at bay. made it home in 5hrs 30mins gutted i didnt stick with the group though, its not stopped me putting my name in the ballot for VLM2013. Any idea how the rest of the "team" got on, jane, sara stuart?. Im pretty sure there was no other unofficial 5hour pace group. ps are you going to try sub 5 in mcr 2013 and hope for a bit of better weather. Jonathan
  • Kicked-It wrote (see)

The worst scenes I ever saw were in the Runners village man.

It was just carnage dude.

There were guys going down all over the place.

Guys I knew.

Guys just like you and me who just couldnt take no more.

The Army guys had just bugged outta there and left all this chaos behind. There were bags all over the place, ipods just trampled into the mud like so much trash...

People were crying and hollerin and composing sternly worded letters to the Organisers. It was awful

Then the changing areas were too small man. Gown men were having to strip of and change under trees - sights no-one should ever have to see...

I dont wanna talk about it.

You had to be there man.

LOL
    Shazmo wrote (see)
    Kicked it - the 4 hour pacer was about 50 meters ahead of me at the finish and I got a chip time of 3.59.50. I'm not sure if there was more than one 4 hour pacer though....I heard them saying something about getting an additional one at the expo. Isle of Man marathon is 22 July (I think) if anyone fancies a trip to this fair isle?!
    Might try it again ran it in 2009 and loved the whole package
  • Kicked-It wrote (see)

Do you think in years to come, those of us who did Manchester 2012 will say:

"You don't know man, because you weren't there"

"Dunham Massey - I still get the flashbacks man and its like I'm back in the Dun"

HAHAHA! Can't stop laughing, you have made my marathon!
  • I overtook the/a 4 hour pacer in Dunham Massey. I was confused because I set out slowly, (optimistically) trying to run a 4 hour negative split, so I didn't know why I'd caught up to him at only 14/15 miles rather than much later on. Anyway, he re-took me later (not sure where, maybe 22 miles or so). I assumed that he'd been held up in Dunham Massey like everyone else so had to make up time later, but I could be wrong and maybe he did run an even pace. It really didn't seem like it based on when I saw him though.
  • To add to my previous post, my Garmin said I ran:

1: 09:18
    2: 09:22
    3: 09:27
    4: 09:17
    5: 09:15
    6: 09:06
    7: 09:07
    8: 09:01
    9: 09:12
    10: 09:01
    11: 08:55
    12: 09:17
    13: 09:24
    14: 09:41
    15: 09:16

I've not worked it out, but that definitely doesn't look like an average of 9m 09s (4 hour pace) to me, so how did I pass him in Dunham Massey (ie. in the first 15 miles) if he was doing consistent splits? (I started the race within a few metres of him). 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all - got all sorts of problems here. Usual DOMS has properly kicked in now, have a pain in arch area of left foot which is causing me to limp, and have sharp pain in my right rib cage from falling off bike pre-race which I may have to go see someone about.

Probably walked about too much yesterday when I should have been off my feet.

Working from home today and taking it easy.

Found out who 3.15 pacer  was through my internet stalking. He ran London marathon in the previous week in 2hr47. Amazing.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Found this on review page from one of the marshalls (Guy Lambert):

I was one of the brave marshals at around 17 miles and have massive respect for all you runners. Having done London the week before and training with many who were running I thought I would put a bit back. All I got was constant abuse from disgruntled locals who could not get where they wanted to go. I even had to block the road section myself and be the only Marshall for about 1/2 a mile around no info to help anybody did my best and cheered and encouraged you all for 5+ hours with out a thank you from the organisers or drink just a crap sandwich and a t-shirt won't be doing this again. Thank you for all the positive comments about the marshals we really were lions led by profit hungary lions.

• Maybe the tee shirt should read 'I did the Manchester Marathon and Survived'.

Ha Ha
  • Marshalls - thank you very much, all did a great job, locals were generally good too, there will always be some moaning about the roads so it's to be expected.

Organisers - you need to look after your runners and Marshalls - no support - no race = no more money

I wonder about how many first timers will bother to try a second now after that little escapade. 10k recovery tonight for me then onwards to the Marathon of the North on Sunday, anyone else taking it on?

• I've said this once & I'll happily say it again, marshalls you were fantastic. Thanks for keeping us going. Just a word of support from them or the locals mare a huge difference when you're hurting. Thank you.

Never forget Manchester 2012 - The Good, the Bad & the Ugly.

Good - Marshalls & Supporters
    Bad - The weather
    Ugly - Dunham Massey bottle necks & bogs. Boggy finish area & baggage farce
  • just love the forum, it has helped me have a post marathon debrief.....it was my first marathon and I came 4184th so not last . It took me 5hrs 17mins but I ran all the way. Def the marshalls, running clubs and spectators that kept me going. Nothing like a cheer to make me run a bit quicker. Caught the bug.......entered the VLM ballot yesterday!image

• My Marshall friend said the same thing, they were the heros of the day along with the spectators!

Away to London today, lega are all fine other than one localised area on my right shin that has golf ball size lump accompanying it, no idea what it could be. Other than that I Feel I could hit the gym today or run but I'm clearly not going to. I should run harder clearly image
    I blame the Dun for the damage

Kicked It laughed out loud on the train reading that! Good stuff
  • Marshalls: YOU WERE THE GREATEST! Seriously, it must have been horrible standing outside for that long, and with abuse from the drivers etc. Apologies for the organisers not thanking you properly, but your efforts WERE appreciated by us runners. I certainly wasn't in a fit state to look out for cars and stuff in the last few miles! so THANK YOU. Spectators were appreciated as well but I really take my hat off to all the marshals/volunteers.

Managed a five-mile recovery run (53 minutes) yesterday  lunchtime, which may have helped, and some self-massage (calves and quads) plus massage of hamstrings by my husband, last night. Muscles much better today than yesterday. Will keep stretching every hour, I think and may try some more massage at lunchtime. Then Pliates this evening. Hope to be able to do my usual club run tomorrow evening, although I may have to drop back to a slower pace group. Oh, and I'm eating like a horse!

• I would absolutely agree with what Debra says re marshalls. You were brilliant! At least we were moving and not just standing in that horrible weather. Without you it would not be possible. Also your clapping and words of encouragement meant the world to me image
  • I have just read the race reviews and can't help but laugh at some of things people moan about.

For me the number collection and baggage issues were avoidable and the organisers must sort these for next year.

Many big marathons have sections that go down country roads or tracks, and I cannot see any issue with the course going through Dunham. I work in Manchester and in the last year I would say it has rained on less thna 25% of my runs, it is bollocks that anyone would have predicted that much rain. 

The underpass was no issue and no worse than running up a hill. Abdingdon is as big as it gets outside London and is a fast course, interestingly that has a subway at 24/25 miles. How would people suggest you cross the A56 if it cannot be closed.

For me the course was spot on and was what they had advertsied.

More toilets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pound for pund this race must have had more toilets than any I have been too.

More on course water and fuel than I have ever seen. If it ran out then organisers need to sort out. However, when I have done any race that I anticipate being in second half I will always make an assumption fuel will have gone so maybe if you are expecting to be near the back it is an idea to take something just in case.

4:00 pacer may have been 30 seconds over target and in those conditions not hitting splits too the second. Now that is funny. How anyone would even plan even splits in 20 mile per hour wind is amazing and if you are not checking your watch the last few miels when following a pacer then you get what you deserve.

Organisers made two big mistakes but some of teh stuff runners moan about shows that some people just don't want to take any responsibility for themselves. 

• And one more thing. The crowd support was better than London and GNR, and it was inspiring to see them cheering in such conditions.
  • ParaleticParaletic ✭✭✭

jwrunningman wrote (see)

Hey matt, I suspect i was part of this "unofficial 5 hour pace group" i sadly lost you all at around the 20mile mark, im afraid my left knee gave up on me and i just couldnt quite keep up. walk/ jogged to the end after managing to aquire a plastic bag and foil blanket to keep hypothermia at bay. made it home in 5hrs 30mins gutted i didnt stick with the group though, its not stopped me putting my name in the ballot for VLM2013. Any idea how the rest of the "team" got on, jane, sara stuart?. Im pretty sure there was no other unofficial 5hour pace group. ps are you going to try sub 5 in mcr 2013 and hope for a bit of better weather. Jonathan

Hi Jonathon

Well done mate, great time in awful conditions. Glad to hear from you, I'm guessing you were our official timekeeper? Running with you lot really helped. I saw Jane at the end, she finished around 5.08 if I remember rightly with Sara and Stuart not too far behind her. Not too sure about the other guy running with us (I'm really hopeless with names, sorry) but I think he might of been just in front. Sadly I don't think any of our group broke 5 hours but I don't hink it really matters. Just turning up in those conditions is an awesome effort.

I entered the ballot and have registered interest for next year, I'm determined to break 5 hours next year, hopefully in the sunshine in Manchester! See you next year. Matt.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    So - who's doing this next year? Not me I don't think. Will probably go out and support though. Think they'll struggle to get the numbers next year due to reviews of this year etc.
  • Where are the reviews sections?
  • Hi 15West

I am going to sign up for Preston Guild Marathon in October. As the guild is only every 20 years this may well be the only chance I get to run it, as not planning ahead to 2032.

No plans yet for 2013 but will probably head to the hills and do some fell running.

However, if I do decide to have another crack at a quick marathon then I would have no issue coming back and doing this. However, I would be tempted not to use the baggage area next time!

• Sounds horribly like the hull marathon! Organised by for profit organisations, scrimped on numerous issues! But at least the course was measured accurately. Tip of the week, stick to club organised races or big well established Maras! I did Paris this year, Brighton last year and Berlin or London with a bit of luck next... Pleased you all got back safe, under the circumstances it's very lucky there were no casualties
  • I -might- do it again - I'd really like to run the Dunham Massey bit in better conditions, when I could actually see and enjoy the scenery.  I like that the race included that countryside section, I just got frustrated by the bottlenecks which, to be fair, were mainly a combination of the number of people in the 3.45 "bus" and the conditions (rain could have been predicted, in Manchester, but that degree of bad weather was unexpected).

Maxpower: obstacles like the small steps coming up from the underpass were magnified by the effect of the weather conditions which had resulted in frozen legs. The weather was not the fault of the organisers. Not being prepared for it, however.... People who have been on the edge of hypothermia due to baggage problems and lack of shelter after the race (which WERE the responsibility of the organisers) may be feeling more negative, perhaps, when writing their comments. I've held off a day or two before writing my review, to give a more measured response.

Re. the toilets, I think the signage needed to be better - long queues at one lot and few people at the other was not efficient.

[Edited for typos]

• I agree with you, Maxpower. Weather made everything seem much worse but this was a fast course. I still got a PB even though the rain & wind destroyed me for the last 6 miles.

If this race goes ahead again next year with the same problems then shame on them. However, looks like the organisers have admitted their faults and have plenty of time to put better systems in place.

I won't be running it next year but only because I got my Lonon GFA.

Well done, fellow survivors.
  • Grumpy DadGrumpy Dad ✭✭✭

I think most of the comments on this forum have been justified. People have paid nearly 50 quid and so have the right to offer feedback. If we didn't complain about the baggage area at the begining and the end then it wont change for next year. Manchester  set itself up as abig city marathon when the organisation clearly was not it seemed a case of trying to run before they could walk. i personally thought the leg through Dunham Massey a bit of a pain not only flooded ( I know beyond organisers control) but also uneven floor where you could of easily turned a ankle, again I appreciate that we have to run somewhere to make up the miles and closing roads off is not easy and so some parts of the course will not be to everybodys liking.There seemed little organisation at the start and finish and this is not beyond the organisers control.

As everybody else has mentioned the marshalls water station and support were fantastic, I have run numerous hal marathons but this was only my second Marathon and so only have Liverpool last year to compare it too, it pains me to say this (being a scouser) but the support in Manchester was much better. To be honest both Marathons could learn from eachother, having talked to the organisers of the Liverpool marathon I think they will take feedback on board I am not sure the Manchester organisers will. I would do the race again but not next year maybe in a few years time. Really want to do the Loch Ness Marathon next but cant get the time off work so will probably be Liverpool (I have unfinished business with this run) and then hopefully London

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Quays - click on Greater Manchester Marathon at top of link, then click on reviews at bottom.
  • Did anyone else spot Paula Radcliffe cheering everyone on? That was epic
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    If the baggage storage had run cleanly there would be so much better reviews as overall the rest of the compaints are due to extreme weather. The baggage thing just ruined it for so many - instead of feeling like you are a champion for completing such a hard race you were just left to try and survive! I was so weak and cold I couldn't sort myself out, and I think a lot of people were in the same state. We needed looking after. A real shame.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Paula Radcliffe?!? where?
  • Where was Paula! Ah man, that would have been a boost!
  • Quays - I think the reviews people are talking about are on this runners world website. It's the comments and ratings section under the Greater Manchester Marathon.

Ditto the comments regarding the marshalls. Can't believe the organisers didn't treat them better. I always feel bad because I don't acknowledge them while I'm running but I do appreciate what they do. I'm just so focussed on getting through the pain I'm incapable of anything else!

Have entered the ballot for London!