warm up?

I am a complete beginner, I haven't even been out for one run yet, but will be doing that tomorrow. I have looked on this site and seen a getting started walk/run  guide which is what i am going to do but I wondered about warming up? How would I do that? I guess I do need to? I am a complete novice at any form of exercise and so am a total new starter in every sense of the word! I really don't want to injure myself though haha. I will be running mostly at a local park so it's a few minutes walk there, is that enough of a warm up if I do it quickly, or should I walk at normal pace? i feel really silly asking but I would rather know! lol

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Walk. Walk further. Walk and jog a bit. Walk and jog a bit until you can do it for an hour. Have a couple of days off between each session for a month. Then every other day. Don't get too tired. Don't over do it.

🙂

• baldblokebaldbloke ✭✭✭
    yep, what RicF says, plus you could go walk, then brisk walk, then slow jog. don't over do it, and use one of the walk/run programmes of the Couch to 5k. 3 times a week fine to start with (or indeed forever). once you start quite enjoying it (which you will!) then go to a running shop and get fitted for trainers - bad-fitting shoes much more likely to harm you than lack of a warm-up.
  • so no need for any form of actual warm up then, thanks image

I will check out some programmes on here. Out of interest, where do you find a running shop? Again, sorry if that's a stupid question.

Thanks for the replies!

• Where are you? Search in google for running shops near your location, usually a few local running shops around.

I would like to quickly pitch in here because I have only been running for around 4-6 months and have suffered from some quite painful calf injuries, and my physio has said the main reason is the lack of warming down I do.
    He advises to just walk/jog first to warm up, run then spend 10-15 minutes doing some stationary stretches to warm down after the run, really stretching those leg muscles.
    I used to just pay lip service to stretching, but it really helps.

• I live near Northampton, not sure if there is anything around here I will google but if anybody knows anywhere nearby I would be grateful for a recommendation

I'll bear the stretching afterwards in mind too, thank you. Little bit wary of hurting myself but I'm definitely not going to overdo it, it will only end badly! haha

• 5min or so walking will probably be enough to get you warmed up at this stage.  As you advance you may want to adapt that to suit you.

I'd also recommend stretches afterwards.  They really help ease those muscles and prevent injury.

Enjoy your runs!  Won't be long till you are as addicted as the rest of us. image

• Thank you for all the advice image

I want to get out there but it's raining image boo!!!! haha. I am only doing it for health and fitness, I can't imagine I will ever enjoy it but it looks like a lot of people do, will be happy if I end up one of them

• baldblokebaldbloke ✭✭✭
    if you don't do too much too soon, and take enough rest days, you WILL start to enjoy it. I speak as  a couch to 5k graduate!
  • Jjb in riverside is good for running stuff and staff are lovely if you feel you need to ask any 'silly' questions
  • oh ok, thanks! i was over riverside yesterday as well haha
  • And just get out there, rain or not!  It's never as bad as you think once you are out in it and you get to feel all smug and superior once you are heading home and have completed your run, whilst other whimps have just sat on their ar$e at home. image

• haha! i did brave it in the end. it was definitely more jogging than running and i thought i may throw up or pass out but I made it through. I am soooo unfit! haha

I did come home like a drowned rat but I had a nice bath and have spent the rest of the day feeling very smug and superior image

• baldblokebaldbloke ✭✭✭

"smug and superior" - that makes you a runner then!

• Alison Gilbey wrote (see)

haha! i did brave it in the end. it was definitely more jogging than running and i thought i may throw up or pass out but I made it through. I am soooo unfit! haha

I did come home like a drowned rat but I had a nice bath and have spent the rest of the day feeling very smug and superior image

Great stuff! Lol. image