Treadmill injuries?

Hello,

I know there are ratings when it comes to treadmills - generally the more expensive the better but I am finding that when I run on a Life Fitness treadmill my lower calves are fine,than when I run on a Technogym one which flares up a previous shin splint injury.

Does this sound unusual? Can there be differences in impact / injuries? Both are gym treadmills so i assume both are considered "good" and must be expensive.

Advice appreciated.

Thank you image

Comments

• I've never experienced any real difference between treadmills- not that there isn't any difference, just that nothing has affected me.

I would myself want to work out how and why and perhaps this would mean looking into the way they are made and differ when being used, why one is better then the other would then be known and it could arm you with knowledge for the future. But otherwise and if your not interested in taking on the research just steer clear of the Technogym machines.

• PSCPSC ✭✭✭

treadies are normally softer than roads/pavements.  I would say it's more likely that  you are feeling the pain because of wrong or worn out shoes.  Treadie running gives no change to gait or footfall so if you have anything going wrong with legs/muscles, you hit the weak spots repeatedly.

Check shoes and get outside is my advice. image

• Thank you for the replies.

PSC - I have new running shoes image

I have tested this a few times as I am sadly a member of 2 gyms, one with life fitness machines and one with techno gym machines. The former doesn't cause any pain whatsoever. I used the technogym one after a few days yesterday and the pain is still there!

Seems like i'm going to have to stick to the gym that stocks life fitness machines. Shame really as i cant get to it as often as the other one due to pathetic commuting times to and from work.

• I'm not saying it's not down to worn out shoes, biomechanical problems or anything else, but some treadmills have a lot more 'give' in them than others. Basically a cushioned landing. And some don't. Could be that...
  • Also some treadmills seem to be faster than others ! It could just be that they aren't calibrated that accurately - but running faster could give you more aches.

I've not really noticed a difference in cushioning between machines - but I'm sure there is.
  • I'm finding I get way more niggles from much shorter runs on the treadmill than I do outside. Not at all sure why.

I also find it harder to go at a given speed on the treadmill (2.0 incline) than I do the same speed outside timed on a Garmin these days.

• I always use 1% gradient and seems very similar to outside running.

• Yes there is difference between impact and injury..

I haven't heard this before but if this occured continue with the old one...

• Radicchio wrote (see)

I'm finding I get way more niggles from much shorter runs on the treadmill than I do outside. Not at all sure why.

I also find it harder to go at a given speed on the treadmill (2.0 incline) than I do the same speed outside timed on a Garmin these days.

+1 for that. I'm not sure why but I have way more calf niggles after running on a treadmill than I would have from running outside.

A few years ago, you would have to prise me off the treadmill with a crowbar but now I can't stand running on them. I find it very difficult to get into my stride and maintain my pace on treadmill compared to runnning outside.

• Me too. I think the softer surface sets off my splints more than the hard surface of a pavement. I did an hour on one last night to avoid the icy treacherous pavements and aside from the torturous boredom my legs were not at all happy. I'll just need to face up to winter.

• This may be rubbish but check (see if a bottle of water rolls) to see if the techno gym machine is on an incline when set to zero. One of the gyms I use has running machines that are on an incline. That could possibly affect your calves.