RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Comments

• I'm in for this. Got to have something to focus on after Manchester (a PB despite the conditions). Happy training all!
  • Warkie gang - I'l probably see you in the park and Veester, welcome on board. If you managed a PB last Sunday then Liverpool will be stroll for you although we have a couple of inclines.
  • *pops head round door*

I'm sitting here like a bloody idiot waiting for an FA cup final ticket to arrive that I have to sign for! And I need to go out for a run and do some stuff.

I can hear you, Alan - calling me something rude because it's not the blue half of Merseyside travelling on Saturday! image

• And as luck would have it.....guess who just knocked the door of the Liverbuilding?imageimageimage
  • Having spent time in the Manchester Marathon thread over the last few months, this will be my new home till October.

Entered this race a couple of months ago and looking forward to hopefully running a Sub 3:30 (missed out by 7 minutes at Manchester).

I'm sure with the right conditions i shall hit that Sub 3:30.

Will be good getting to know you Liverpool marathon runners.

• gramck24 - I was at Manchester last Sunday (in a non running capacity!) and would advise that Liverpool is a completely different kind of event to GMM. I'm sure you will enjoy it!
  • Hi Alan - What would you describe as the main differences between the two?
  • At least two miles or so of the race is guaranteed not to have rain ?
  • cougie - ah... the Mersey tunnel you mean!
  • Yep. And if it raining in there - RUNNNNNNN !
  • Thanks Alan. I actually ran up to 14 miles of Liverpool last year, pacing a friend round on her first one. (legit! I entered but decided in training not to run). Changed and spectated for the last bit. Enjoyed it thoroughly from both sides of the fence! I've also run the Liverpool half so I know your events are top notch image

Manchester could be great. It's my city of residence so I hope they get it right next time.
  • Just like Gramck I have been wallowing in the Manc Mara thread and after surviving my first marathon in horrific conditions whilst still coming in 58 seconds ahead of my most optimistic target time of 3hrs 30mins I am ready for the next challenge. So I have signed up for the Yorkshireman off road marathon in sept as a warm up to Liverpool in Oct.

look forward to getting to know you all

• Gee Gee - good to have you on board. I'm sure you will enjoy Liverpool. It will be a whole lot different to the Yorkshire Off Road Marathon!!
  • Alan thanks and I know but being a trail/fell runner at heart it looks like a nice way to get some miles in my legs whilst combining hill training and great views (subject to weather) hopefully I don't take the manc mara weather with me
  • degsy-m-degsy-m- ✭✭✭
    Liverbird .. Cup finals tickets!!! You lucky lady!! Come in the red men image
  • I've been out and bought my Chelsea shirt with TORRES on the back and it's in a nice shade of bitter blue!! (as always). Revenge is a dish served cold at about 7.45pm on saturday evening.
    COYB!!

Gee Gee - I sense the Tunnel exit and Parliament Street will be no problem for you then.
  • Just a point about GMM baggage - the issue wasn't the weather, nor inappropriately dressed runners.  They didn't have enough space for the bags.  All the bags were stored in one medium sized marquee (or outside it in the open).  When the system (inevitably) fell apart there was a crush and free for all with no GMM staff at all.  Runners did their best to distribute bags - calling out numbers in a kind of bingo game from hell.  Some runners tried to pass bags outside so that there would be enough space to sort them.  Liverbird - I don't think I was inappropriately dressed in my t-shirt and shorts.  I was fine during the race, and would have been afterwards if it hadn't have taken so long to get dry clothes.  It's true that often those with complaints need a sense of perspective (especially with first time events), but GMM was a different league (you'd have to be there)

But to all those first timers scarred by GMM, please don't judge other races by that fiasco.  If you're thinking of entering Liverpool, do it.  It's a truely great event and well organised.  The frequent posts by Alan on this forum are testament to how he cares about how the event is for runners.
  • Keep Left - thank you very much indeed! I like to think our team does the very best we can with the resources we have at our disposal and our races are continually improving every year.

It's a shame that not every Race Director takes the time to communicate directly with the running community but I'm more than happy to keep in touch via RW Forum.

I know Chris Hulse does the same at Chester.
  • AlanRothwell wrote (see)
    I've been out and bought my Chelsea shirt with TORRES on the back and it's in a nice shade of bitter blue!! (as always). Revenge is a dish served cold at about 7.45pm on saturday evening. COYB!! Gee Gee - I sense the Tunnel exit and Parliament Street will be no problem for you then.

If i would have known that, i would have considered doing Chester instead! image

• Just a note to advise that the closing date for the RunLiverpool Marathon is potentially going to be brought forward to some time in June rather than the stated August 17th. If you have it in mind to enter then make sure you get in quick!!
  • Keep left and Alan. Im quite impressed that an organiser actually comments on here and gets involved, brilliant, as he must be confident in his race.

It's extremely difficult to get any communication back from Simon Hill at GMM, bit of a poor show. I'm going to get my prize out of them no matter what.

I actually thought the course was great, Dunham wasn't an issue for me personally and it's a flat fast course.

I despise hills, so would welcome peoples thoughts on how tough the tunnel was, I've run L'pool HM and didn't mind Parliment street too much. I ssume L'pool side is similar to the HM?

• Thanks to those who offered advice about marathon training plans. I've just bought a bargain copy of 4 months to a 4 hour marathon off ebay. Anyone ever folllowed this plan?

• Should Av - I don't think the climb out of the tunnel was any worse than Alty to Dunham in GMM, but I might be wrong.  It's hard to tell; the distant sound of the drummers at the exit getting louder made it one of the biggest buzzes I've ever felt in a race.  I certainly wouldn't call it tough (although maybe it'd be a killer if were much later in the race).

• KL, I think the hill in Alty was positioned perfectly as I didn't slow down at all. I may have to drive throug the tunnel again just to remind myself. Tempted to enter.

• You could always sample it in the Tunnel 10K on June 10th. That's through the Wallasey Tunnel but the incline and distance is similar.

• For the uninitiated here is the 2011 thred, happy reading...

• Im in but slightly worried that ive jinxed myself because the day after my entry I got a knee injury and i havent really run since image
  • thanks for a fab womens 10k yesterday alan as usual well organised great t shirt and medal and fab weather this is one of my favourite races have done it since1992 and love it xx

• 20 years!

Wow Rachel! You're almost in that revered group of laydees who have been there since the start!

• Should have some information this week from Liverpool City Council about possible amendments to the course on the Liverpool side. I'm looking to remove some of Sefton Park pathways and use more road in the city centre which would make it more accessible for spectators.

Started belated dialogue (not my fault!!) a couple of weeks ago and anticipate a reply this week. Overall things are looking good some some great improvements.