Runner collapsed at mile 26

2»

Comments

• Our pray's go out to all her friends and family......
  • The Telegraph have reported that she ran in memory of her brother who died from an overdose at the age of 25............. Doesn't bare thinking about what her family are going through right now. 

• Nickyk33 wrote (see)

I saw the paramedics trying to revive her as I ran past - can't get the picture out of my head now... image

same here, they were just putting the curtains up as i went past - really sad
  • My thoughts are with all those who saw Claire on Sunday. x x
  • I donated too yesterday, such a sad story but heart warming responce, does anyone know if she will get a finishes medal, I think it would be a touching gesture.
  • Mark I hope that VLM see what has happened and actually award not a finishing medal but some other medal for raising the most amount of money from running the london marathon, seems much more fitting

i really hope that her family can take comfort in this

a double tragedy ( apparently the brother who took his life did so because he was involved in a serious car crash that his girlfriend was killed in ) their family seems to have had so much heartache

Nam yes i read that the Mt K trip was for the royal airforce charity
  • PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Just thought I would nudge this to the top. A worthy cause to donate to and there but for the grace of good it could so easily have been any one of us.
  • HannahsmomUK wrote (see)
    Mark I hope that VLM see what has happened and actually award not a finishing medal but some other medal for raising the most amount of money from running the london marathon,

or maybe make one of her favoured charities their charity of the year next year in her memory.

• I'm slightly in awe of the British public at this point in time - £570k. That is an amazing amount of money. Justgiving have confirmed they will be donating their fees too.

Warms the cockles and restores your faith even when it has been wearing incredibly thin x

• I also saw them trying to revive her as I ran past - can't get the picture out of my head now, everytime i close my eyes i see that pic. It must have been .

It must have been 1.30ish (as i ran 3hrs 59mins) and there were no curtains up then, it must have just happened

• how awful dw7 it doesnt bear thinking about, hope her poor family took comfort in it all, glad I didnt know anything about it tbh as it would have played on my mind too while i was running

incredible amount of money raised tho, something good to come out of such a tragedy
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well I don't think we all need to play coroner and watch that to find out. Utterly tasteless and inappropriate video in my opinion.
  • Did you do the video Colin?

it is hard to see if she was struggling but look at these young footballers that just seem to collapse all of a sudden, who knows what really happened, just a terrible shame and to happen so near the end too, she had done all the hard work by that point, so sad

hope her family see this, as they may take comfort in it, still cant get the poor girl out my head and her poor family
  • duncan watson 7

I ran past at the same time as you and have the same picture of poor Claire sadly. It must have just happened, as there was just the two medical staff at that stage trying so hard to bring her round. My thoughts are with her family and loved ones. She was a local hairdresser to us, and I've spoken to several people who new of her and they all said she was a lovely girl and very fit and healthy. Looking at the video where she looked better than most and how quickly she passed out, I don't think she suffered.  We wont ever forget her.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Weeble. wrote (see)
    Well I don't think we all need to play coroner and watch that to find out. Utterly tasteless and inappropriate video in my opinion.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Weeble here.  Its great that you've got a video to pass on to here family and I'm sure they will take comfort from that but keep it private.  There's no need for the general public to look at this and comment on whether or not the runner looks like she is experiencing distress.     The family may well find this upsetting and I don't think the coroner will be scouring forums for evidence. 

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I think it's utterly inappropriate to post film of someone collapsing and dying on the internet.

I'm appalled that anyone would be so ghoulish, and then try and justify it as "useful".

It's tasteless in the extreme, and attention-seeking on the part of the person posting it:  "look what I've got, look, look!"

I'm quite honestly disgusted.

• Wilkie

At least get your facts right . The video shows how well she was running even at mile 25. and is a comfort to some of us that she was not in distress.  

• Colin McLaughlin

With respect, perhaps it would be better to delete the video until Runners World have checked with Claire's family how they feel about it?.  They have to be the one's who decide. We must respect their feelings over everything.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

My apologies, I misunderstood exactly what the video was  - but I still think it's inappropriate. 

Still think it's a case of "look what I've got!"   Some people just like to do that. and your boast about how many hits it's had just adds to my view that you're attention-seeking on the back of someone else's misfortune.  That 150 people have viewed it doesn't make it OK - some people like to rubber-neck at car crashes.

How is it useful in any way to see someone running who's shortly going to collapse and die?

• Not sure about the video to be honest.

Her appeal is nearing a million pounds though - I've just donated.

The link to it isnt published on the BBC News site strangely - surely that would raise more money.

http://www.justgiving.com/Claire-Squires2
  • Has anyone offered it the video to the Family ?
  • I think some of the vociferous comments directed at Colin are somewhat unneccesary. There have been two unfounded accusations made of him, namely that he was distributing a video of someone dying (apology later posted)and that he is revelling in how many views he is getting. My interpretation is that his point is that statistically of the number of views, no-one had commented that the video was inappropriate.

Moreover Colin has clearly said that he will remove it if people feel strongly enough, but I think there is a way of providing feedback without attacking the guy with (sometimes) incorrect information and interpretation.

For my part, it is one of probably hundreds of clips that more than likely capture Claire, and I see no reason to remove it. Incidentally, I ran past the spot she collapsed about 20 minutes later and was in such a state of 'when will this end' that I saw nothing, but did donate to her page. RIP.
  • Colin, I don't think the video is in bad taste.  I think it will be in bad taste though if the media get hold of it and one of Claire's family sees it when they're not ready to. 

I spoke to Claire's sister about the official pics the VLM take of the runners on the course, and she couldn't bring herself to look at the one's of Claire.  I would probably suggest taking the video down and instead let the family know that it's available should they wish to view it.  Which they probably will at some point down the line.

I can let the family know if you like.  I would just hate them to see it on the news.  Which no doubt it will be if the press catch sight of it.

Incidentally as a friend of the family I found it comforting that she looked well, was running well and just seemed fine.  Also totally sad that it was her final moments. Bless her.

• Cathy Walsh 3 wrote (see)

I can let the family know if you like.  I would just hate them to see it on the news.  Which no doubt it will be if the press catch sight of it.

I think this is important. Media interest is still very strong and if they know it's there they will link to it. Colin I accept that you feel this is helpful but I hope you will listen to a friend of the family and take it down for now.
  • Cathy Walsh

You are right about taking it down. I also found the video comforting, but everything must be done to make sure her loved one's are not hurt any more than they have been. Please pass on sincere best wishes when you consider it appropriate.

• Thanks Colin.  I'll message you if/when the family want to see the video.