Pregnancy Running after time off

Hi Everyone,

I'm just looking for a little advice/previous experiences from those of you who have either run preggers or just know a bit more about it!

I have no health conditions etc, and have always been 'a beginner' completing a 10k in about 1hr16min. So in no way fast or pushing it!

I am now 18 wks pregnant, and havent run since last summer. I would like to (very slowly) get back into it, seeing is at training for the big task laying ahead of me at the end of the pregnancy.

If I took a beginners programe, or walk/jog program and listen to my body, by stopping when my body tells me (not the weak part of me that always wants to stop!), then I should be ok shouldnt I?

Or am i being ridiculous and should just stick to walking for now?

Thanks for reading!! image

Comments

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Hi Sazzler - congratulations! image

The general medical advice for exercise in pregnancy is to maintain your normal exercise routine for as long as you feel comfortable to do so, perhaps easing back on intensity and with some exceptions. Contact sports are a no-no!

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/pregnancy-exercise.aspx#Exercises

It's impossible to give proper advice (always speak to a professional!) but if you feel comfortable with the pace and pay attention to your body then continuing shouldn't be a problem image

• Hi Sarah,

thats great thanks, i guess i was just waiting to see if i got a baragge of responses telling me not to be so silly, which hasnt happened! 

im of the thinking any exercise is only a good thing, even if it is just a little!

• Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Mrs WA ran thru two. She however was running 70mpw prior and maintained this right up to the days her waters broke. She almost always runs on a treadmill which does help at the later stages. What she didn't do is do anything she was not doing before and what she did do is cut out speed-work and really fast runs, it was mostly base training.

She did the London Mara in 2010 18 weeks pregnant finishing in a comfortable 3:48, a little slower than her best of 3:25.

We did speak with a consultant at a bupa hospital who was an expert in the field. He described 70mpw as 'light training', told us that he looked after 'proper' athletes who did much more and said that the running would actually do some good.

Other than this the only other opinions we had off the medical profession were one of 

1. Don't run - if pressed these people were never able to back up what they were saying with fact or experience.

2. I don't know the answer - if they were a little bit more honest.

All this said the advice as Sarah says is 'Don't do anything you were not doing before' so don't start now.

• Thanks Welsh Alex that was very informative!

Maybe ill stick to the swimming for now and look forward to running again once baby has arrived!