Options

First run,first injury

Hi guys.

Hope someone can help.

I've only been running for a few months and entered my first half marathon (may 6th)my last run on sunday (10miles) resulted in an Achilles strain, any advice on a "quick fix"

Comments

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

There is no quick fix.

I presume you have iced the area and are resting.

From here your best move is to see a fizzy to find out what is wrong and to get some guidance. It maybe something simple where a massage and stretching is all that is needed or it maybe far more complex. You may be able to run with or without support. However, until you see a physio, a sports one, then you will not know.

• Options

Ice it.  A lot.  If it doesn't feel good by race day, do not start.  If it feels ok and you start, and it then starts hurting, step off of the course and get a lift back to the start line.  If you do not think you could step off the course because you are too competitive, do not start.

• Options
    A half marathon after a few months of running sounds like you're asking a lot from your body. On race day, if you choose to compete, don't go off too fast. Be prepared to walk/run the last four or five miles, and don't beat yourself up about it.