Training for hills

Evening All,

I've signed up for the Midsummer Munro half in June and am getting into training.

The only problem I have is that I'm in Cambridgeshire which has zero hills. Any suggestions for helping to prepare for the slopes whilst being on the flat?

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Use a treadmill and wack the gradient up is a simple way.
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Can't be absolutely no hills?! You don't need a long one to do repeats on.
  • Two things to consider here , having the strength and fitness to run uphill and having the strength to absorb the damage that comes with running downhill.

For downhill , gym work like lunges or step up and downs will help.

For uphill , see if you can find some stairs and run two at a time up them.

You may have to do lots of reps but that's the price you pay for living somewhere flat
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

The Midsummer Munro has A LOT OF VERY BIG STEPS.  I'd get on the stepper in the gym, get your quads working.

And if you've only just got round to training for it... good luck. Pace yourself, it will be hard going.

• YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    I'd echo what Phil said..... I've done the Midsummer Munro once before, and am doing it again this year, and the steps are a killer (both going up and down).

I regularly run around Box Hill, and My advice would be to get in the car and drive to some hills. However, if that is not an option, then do lots of walking up and down stairs, lots of gym work focusing on leg strength (especially calves and quads), and maybe do a couple of weekends hill walking....
  • The MM is a fantastic race but really really tough if you aren't used to the hills. But as Philpub says, there are a lot of steps and they really sap the strength from your legs. The slopes are the least of your worries! The best bit of advice I can offer is to make sure you leave loads in the tank for the return journey - the last set of steps are absolute murder!!