Garmin - pros and cons

I trained with and ran my first marathon using a borrowed Garmin Forerunner 305 ( without the heart rate strap) and really liked it. I have now had to return it to the owner and am now on the hunt for a new garmin (or other similar sports watch) and looking for any advice that people can give regarding pros and cons of any make/model,

cheers

Comments

• So many options! 

If you are looking for something simple that you can just use for running then you can pick up an old 305, 405 or 410 for quite cheap now. I have however just invested in the 910xt as it does everything under the son. If you ever think that you will use your watch for cycling and swimming as well as running then the 910 is the best GPS watch on the market!

Blog - CouchToTri

• I have a 405 and wouldn't be without it now.

Just remember to lock the bezel when you for a run because if it rains it can fuck it up a bit

• Thanks...i have heard that about the 405, but didn't know you could lock it, cheers

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Amazon is doing the 410 with heart monitor for ??144...Seems like good price. Does anyone have this?
  • I have the 410 but not a heart monitor (yet).  I love it - I haven't had any problems with the bezel, and in fact I find it really easy to use.  It's similar to an ipod wheel, so nothing too complex.  If you're planning on doing swimming, I wouldn't recommend the 410 as it's only waterproof for up to 30 minutes when fully submerged.  I think the 610 can be used for swimming, but I doubt the 405 or 305 can be.

£144 for watch and heart monitor sounds like a really good price.

• 610xt and love it.perfect if you only run.A touch screen too.Water resistant but not to swim with.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    daisyjess wrote (see)

I have the 410 but not a heart monitor (yet).  I love it - I haven't had any problems with the bezel, and in fact I find it really easy to use.  It's similar to an ipod wheel, so nothing too complex.  If you're planning on doing swimming, I wouldn't recommend the 410 as it's only waterproof for up to 30 minutes when fully submerged.  I think the 610 can be used for swimming, but I doubt the 405 or  305 can be

No, the 610 is not suitable for swimming - running / cycling only. It is an excellent running watch but pricey

• I bought myself 405 at the start of the year and am really happy with it!! Really had helped improve my times as I can track my pace now.

Have a look on Amazon as Garmins seem to be quite cheap on there and they do deals from time to time.
  • I'm really tempted to go for 410 deal on amazon...looks really too good to be true!!

£144?????????

• Have a look at DC Rainmaker's site - he really puts devices through their paces when he does a review, and pushes them to see what they can do. He also explains in detail how to swim with a 305!