need some advice for a 1st 10k

Hi

I've just started my training for the london 10k (july 8th) and I've not done anything more than the occassional jog before. This morning I ran 5k in 25.40 so I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me with what would be a reasonable target time to aim to run the actual race? I'll be able to train 4 days a week and i'm willing to work to get the best time I can!

Sorry if this is repeating something that's already been covered in other threads!

Thanks for any help image

Comments

• Hi,

That's a good time for 5k. I think the London course is flat but by all accounts it gets very crowded so it may be difficult to run a fast time unless you start towards the front. It's difficult to say withoiut knowing how old or experienced a runner you are but you can definitely improve your times in 2 months. I reckon 45 mins is not beyond your reach but someone will probably say thay you shouldn't set too hard a target on your first 10k, You probably know this but tempo runs and intervals will increase your speed but mix this with a long run at least once a week.

• im 22 and this will be my first race but i've always had a pretty good natural fitness level. i had vaguely thought about 45 mins but wasnt sure if that was setting myself up to fail! i might start my training with an aim of 45 minutes and if i'm finding that to be too much i can drop down to a target of 50 minutes. thanks for the advice!

• Here is a plan to achieve a good 10k time.

45 minutes is easily achievable for anyone half-fit.

• Hi, did my first 10k race today and was pretty happy with self-timed 48:56 (awaiting official time). I am 43 years old and have been running for less than a year, hadn't run at all since I was 16 so getting into it was tough.  If it helps you to set a target my best 5k time (Norwich Parkrun) is 23:06.  I am now looking to do some speed work as I have not introduced any interval training in my routine.  My training is a mixture of 5/6 mile easy-medium pace runs and a 10-11mile long run which I currently do in about 1:30:00.  

Any advice on speeding these times up would be appreciated.

• Paul Robertson 11 wrote (see)

Here is a plan to achieve a good 10k time.

45 minutes is easily achievable for anyone half-fit.

I must beg to differ.  What is "easily achievable" is very much dependent on age, gender, etc.  I am quite fit - for a 44 year old woman - but a 7:15 pace for 6.2 miles is not happening.  8:00, sure, but not 7:15.

• SusanRachel wrote (see)

I must beg to differ.  What is "easily achievable" is very much dependent on age, gender, etc.  I am quite fit - for a 44 year old woman - but a 7:15 pace for 6.2 miles is not happening.  8:00, sure, but not 7:15.

Absolutely right.  For some people 45mins for a 10K would be a dream result.

Even for a young relatively fit person who is currently running 25min for 5K and has a couple of months before their first 10K I think that this is a challenging target.  Just look at the results for the previous year and see where that would place you.

I'm not by any means saying that you can't do it - just don't under estimate what it might take.  Whatever time you achieve will give you a baseline for future races and there are years of running ahead of you when you can drive down that PB (especially if the time in this race is slower than you hope for !).

Enjoy the training as well as the race.  Don't injure yourself or destroy your confidence by expecting too much.