Wilmslow off road?

Moving to Wilmslow area and wondered if anyone could recommend any 5 - 10km runs mainly off road wherever possible...thanks

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Lots of off road running!

Try Styal Woods, which you can actually run to from Wilmslow itself via Twinnies Bridge and Quarry Bank Mill...beautiful! An all time favourite but it gets pretty tough in the woods themselves.

An alternative is to go to Alderley Edge, and up onto the Edge itself: again it is tough, but well worth it: fantastic view. Just enjoy exploring! Best to park on the road unless you are a National Trust member.

Look at the Wilmslow Running Club website!

Lovely area to be moving to.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hi Alehouse,

Thanks very much for the great advice and recommendations. Sorry for not responding sooner but 'user error' and I had clicked and added you to my 'ignore list'.

How very rude of me...I feel even worse about it now that I've read your advice!

I'll be sure to report back...now off to buy some trail shoes.

Thanks once again. 

• What a beautiful part of the world to be moving to - I'm jealous!
  • I love running in Macclesfield Forest - if you go to the main car park theres a food van there called Nice Nosh and the man who runs it sells a pamphlet of walks from about 5k to about 13k which I use as running routes. The views are amazing, the terrain varied and the hills hilly! Enjoy!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Had forgotten the Macc Forest option. And then there's Lyme Park, and the Middlewood Way etc etc!
  • Yes great, reccied Lyme Park at the weekend running from Nelson Pit car park up to Lyme Park circumnavigate the House and through woods in small West car park and then back to tow path on the canal ending back in car park.

Amazing views and 2 does leapt across my path...not sure who was more startled me or them!

Bit soggy underfoot but well worth it.

Macclesfield Forest sounds interesting and bordering on fell running which is great too....nothing like a bit of lactic acid to make you appreciate getting to a summit image thanks for that one Jen

• If you're up for Macc forest and hills - then head toward Teggs Nose and the Gritstone Path image
  • Look no car....just discovered very pleasant run today - from home to Carr Wood Wilmslow and back about 5 miles with a couple of laps of the wood and short hill running reps. And not too busy...
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Hi again!

Glad you enjoyed your run yesterday! If you had carried on away from Wilmslow through the Carrs, staying on the right of the river, you can then continue towards Quarry Bank Mill, following the river. You can then turn right up some steps towards the car park but take a right turn at the top of the steps and this will bring you down a pleasant path back to the Carrs. For longer runs there are lots of paths after the mill, including a cobbled path immediately after: think it is signed to Morley. Go along this, through a farm (can get rather muddy) and on to the main Altrincham Road. Turn right and head downhill: after the hotel turn immediately right and then you can run (and walk as the hills are not easy!) back to Quarry Bank Mill. I guess the loop from the mill is around three miles.

This may be useful to you: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=68243&ms=

Hopefully this is a link to the Round the Runways race which goes off road fairly close to Wilmslow.

• Thanks for the suggestion I've just got back from the run and can definitely give it a huge thumbs up. After a false start, skirting round a rugby field, and forgetting my mantra 'stay to the right of the river' I was back on track. A very pretty run with good mixture of undulating terrain, pretty riverside and plenty of wildlife at Heron's Pool(?). I decided to run the same way back to enjoy the last of the bluebells and the heady aroma of wild garlic. (Not so great when hunger's setting in!). I'll save the Styal and beyond for another day...

Thanks also to the RW forum contributors who have recommended the Asics GTX Trabucos they're great. As a sub-pronator with achilles tendonitis I thought they might struggle to fulfil all my requirements but they have come up trumps. Good stability but with good measure of responsiveness and grip when running over tree roots and dry feet, what more can you ask for.
  • Moral of today's story read your local newspaper and forums. Mapped a great circular route starting and ending at the gym in Wilmslow taking in Carrs Wood and Styal. Of course falling slap bang in the middle of Wilmslow Triathlon! Looked like fun though....

Styal was even prettier in the sun and I'm sure I heard woodpeckers hammering away. Little more hazardous with errant dogs off their leads - all of them perfect ankle height for tripping over!