Keswick Rugby Club Half Marathon

Hello there,
Im heading over from Bellingham in northumberland to run the Keswick half and im wondering if any members have any idea of the gain in elevation in the front 6 miles ? ive read elsewhere its quite severe and im wondering how my training hills compare.
Dudley

Comments

• Sorry - no details - but it was pretty hilly in the first part. Great race though - enjoy ! 

• Not sure this will help - but I did it last year (having trained in NE/Northumberland) and I nearly cried about 2 miles into it.  NOTHING had prepared me for thos.  I stupidly hadn't found out much about the route before (I wasn't particularly racing it) and just assumed the whole 13 miles was going to be the same.  If there had been somewhere to drop out I would have done. 

Having said that, once those 6 miles were out of the way I had a great time and loved it.  The scenery is just perfect.  I would do it again in a flash, but knowing what to expect!  Don't make it a pb attempt, but go out to do your best on a tough but beautiful route and you should have a great day.

• Oh, and be warned... this is the race where last year someone came on here and complained afterwards that the water at the water stations along the route was not chilled (it was a reasonably warm day).  If you are wanting chilled water this probably isn't the one to do image.

• Oh dear...wish I hadn't asked image never mind.....i,ll give it my best shot. Thank you for the replies.
  • I've run this loads of times. There is a short sharp climb after 2 ish miles, then a mile or so later at Stair, it goes down sharply.  At 4-5 miles at The Swinside it goes up, but it'snot the end of the world. At the foot of Catbells, it goes up and then up again and this is the end of the world. The last few miles along the Borrowdale Road are a bit gutty, but all in all this is one of the best races in the world. Honestly, this is a must do race.

• Cheers for that Ultraslog - a brutally honest review. Im looking forward to the mental battle more than the physical battle to be honest. Gritting my teeth as i write....

Thanks once again to all the respondents

dudley

• Hey Ultraslog, I did this today, having done it several times in the past... it was a different route, and it seemed much hillier (although still all in the first half) image

• Just home from Keswick ( 179 mile round trip ) what a run it was...fantastic. It was a cold walk to the start but it didnt half brighten up after the start. Once again thanks to everyone whos posted on this thread - and thanks for the early warning of the first two hills ultraslog

• Disaster struck for me! Got to 10 miles, then staggered between 10-11 (it took about 1/2 for one mile!). Was intending to stagger to finish, but St. John's guy picked me up as he didn't think I should be going on. He was proably right, not sure I would have made it. image

Little gutted as I did it last year and was absolutely fine with it, finishing in 1:39.

Think I went to fast on some of the early hills as well, which didn't help.

Thanks to all those runners BTW who asked if I was OK (if any read this thread!), was feeling pretty silly.

• Kev, my Dad said he saw you as he was running; hope you are okay now!

What did everyone think of the new slightly changed route? I didn't do it this year, but I will be back on form for next year (hopefully!). Apparantly a few extra hills were on the route?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I though the course was good except one 90 degree corner which was a bit tight. My wife also said the junior fun run caused chaos with supporters walking back to Keswick after the start.Otherwise a great day- I don't know why more people don't run this one...

• Redhead - definitely more hills, and some steeper uphills. Overall I would say it was harder than the old route. If I'd known that it was taking this route I would have gone easier for the first couple of miles!

Still a lovely route, though. I'll be back again next year.

• Sorry just seen these replies.

Yes, the junior course did cause a little bit of a problem for the children; the poor things had to weave in and out of the families of the half runners walking down the path back towards the town. Slightly disorganised!

JSD - sounds great. I will definitely be doing it again next year.

Has anyone found any photos from the event? Apparantly Mick Hall (the usual photo guy) wasn't there. I found a few on Flickr but couldnt find any of my Dad, wasnt sure if there were some we didnt know about!