Would this work?

Ok I'm relatively new to triathlon (3 races under my belt) so sorry if this is an odd question...

After some long (ok not long but it feels like it) hours over winter on spinning/exercise bikes I've decided that I'd much prefer the pedal to be in the middle of my foot, i.e. under the arch.

I can't seem to find any cycling shoes (SPDs) that would allow this though.

If I changed to mountain bike cleats, could I hammer them straight into my running shoes? Giving me a quicker transition and a more comfortable ride?

Comments

• I am assuming you're a troll Alan, suggest you screw mountain bike cleats direct into your feet and then run barefoot
  • Ok I dont know why but as far as I can see you ride a bike most effectively when the pedal is under the ball of your foot. I suspect that like running the forefoot is the foots "sweet spot" that allows the most control and power to be transfered down to the ground or the pedal. Though the only bike I ride is to work and back I have always ridden it like this and have noticed the lack of power and control cyclist have when they ride flat footed so to speak.

• Lot harder to twist out of the cleat if it's under the arch. I have enough trouble in the normal position. Also some leverage issues.

Though I kind of see where you are coming from as I was always an "arch rider" as a lad. 

• Just ride in work shoes. You see a lot of people riding to work like this - the heel stops your foot from falling off the pedal.

It's a crap way to ride mind you.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Probably a good idea to get fitted to your bike correctly. Size of frame and seating position.

🙂

• gastank wrote (see)
    I am assuming you're a troll Alan, suggest you screw mountain bike cleats direct into your feet and then run barefoot

Nope just a relative newbie with a question. Thanks for your friendly and measured response though, must give you a warm feeling inside being so helpful.

Cheers for the other advice everyone - I'll give it a go and see what happens. You never know... it might be the biggest revolution since aerobars!

• Alan I would suggest that gastank is usually very friendly and helpful.  

Your suggestion where you are considering 'hammering' MTB cleats into your running shoes to give you a quicker transition and more comfortable ride is so far removed from normal that perhaps he thought you were joking.

I didn't have the first clue about cleat positions or bike fits before xmas, but now I have researched enough to get me by.  Even when I knew absolutely zilch (not so very long ago), I would never have dreamed hammering anything onto my trainers.

Toe clips might be a good compromise, although I state that I know probably even less than you. 

• i think it was the bit about hammering cleats into running shoes that made him think that way.....why would any runner knacker a pair of expensive running shoes by trying to hammer in cleats........

as you were talking about triathlon not work then it would not help to run in shoes with cleats.....

if you prefer to cycle on the arch of your foot why not just cycle on normal pedals with your running shoes and then you can get straight off the bike and run.......

• I wonder why it is that no cycling shoe is designed so you can have a cleat under the arch ?

Maybe because it's a rubbish idea ?

Assuming you don't have anything wrong with your legs - learn to pedal the proper way. Far more efficient.
  • And you can't hammer cleats into a running shoe - you're not a horse.

The cleats wouldn't stay

You'd feel them every step of the way

You'd be sparking running along the road.

After one run they'd be worn down and wouldn't fit into the pedal.

To unclip you'd have to turn your feet into the spiky bit of the chainset
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

and how the hell do you hammer MTB cleats into a running shoe in the first place??  6" nails??   the sole material is soft and unless you used something like a plasterboard screw - as if - I can't see how they would stay in place anyway

can I suggest that if you prefer to ride with the pedal under your arch then your seat is too low??  this is something you see with a lot of poor cyclists with their saddles way too low - their arches are directly over the pedal.  if your saddle is at the optimum height you shouldn't be able to ride with your foot flat on the pedal

try raising your saddle and keep using the cleat under the ball of the foot - it's much easier and more efficient that way. and if you need advice on best saddle height, come back and ask.

• if it was a good idea, wouldn't lots of people already have done it ?

• Alan - as people said , it was so left of centre as a question and with you only having one forum post in total it did appear to be a troll - apologies for incorrect reasoning

Bike fit is most important and would suggest preserving in learning to ride properly, I don't mean that negatively, it may uncomfortable initially but like every bed habit, breaking it will be hard work but in the long run the benefits are worth it

Perhaps try a set of pedals with good old fashioned toe clips initially, to get you used to being further forward and then move into cleats at a stage when you are perhaps more comfortable?
  • Gastank, I'm not sure I like the sound of your "bed habits" and the hard work that goes into breaking them!  For the sake of the reputation of this otherwise highly regarded forum, I hope Alan isn't equally as offended...

Rw

(removes tongue from cheek for the avoidance of doubt)

• I did a not veyr scientific test when I got my clipless pedals (and changed 2 variables at once). Rode a regular route in 2 hours (trainers and old-fashioned toe-clips). Next week (so not very much fitter, and tried to go similar effort) rode same route in similar conditions - new pedals and cycling shoes, plus had a new track pump & pumped tyres up to a proper PSI - 1:48. A 10% improvement.

Definitely worth persevering with proper shoes and cleat position.

The only thing I have done akin to hammering a cleat onto my trainers was when I made myself some screwshoes (google them) for running in the snow/ice. They worked fairly well, but the screws are a lot smaller than a cleat, and I lost quite a number of them.

• A lad round by me used to ride in football boots. He'd take all of the studs out apart from the front two and they'd kind of lock him into the pedal.

This was in the days of clips and straps mind you - and all this round here were fields.

• cougie wrote (see)
    And you can't hammer cleats into a running shoe - you're not a horse.

The cleats wouldn't stay

My horse doesnt have cleats.

Point proven  image

• But how quick is your horse in transition? image

• Yeah but, sparking shoes would be soooo cool. All the kids would clap!

• RafikiD wrote (see)

But how quick is your horse in transition? image

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Quicker than Meldy is !

Thats not entirely difficult !!

• Is "Horse" aka SIL of Razor51 and M...eldy's "horse" one and the same...

I'm getting very confusedimage

Another "bed" habit to break, so to speak...